Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm saying goodbye to 10-bolt breakage forever

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Nov 3, 2006.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

And about time,too.Gonna put some 42" Iroks under the 70 this spring and I have had issues with the 10-bolt while running my 37's.This puppy has been sitting in my garage for just about a year but I hope to have it installed in a week or ten days or so.:rolleyes: Gonna be fun rebuilding it I'm sure but the monster motor is taking no prisoners so it's gotta be done.With all the sidetalk here about D44s,10-bolts and D60s I'm sure it's confusing a whole bunch of guys who aren't sure what the right path to get to where they wanna go is so I thought I'd just throw my .02 in with the rest of them.Some guys don't really know if they need the added strength,considering what it costs to actually get one in the truck.There are also some guys that want to think that everyone and his brother just want one because that's what the big dogs run.I have heard the same thing.Boils down to-you'll know if or when you need one.It's that simple.My 10-bolt has lived pretty well under 37s and a built big block.But 42s are coming soon and a doubler so I can run my 4.10s still and get both good highway rpms and decent grunt down low.And a big-block,a doubler and 42s arent happening with a 10-bolt.So that's how I know.

100_0682.jpg

100_0683.jpg

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

another good reason to go for a '60 is planning in the future. if you're going mild now (as i am with 37s, and mostly street driving) and have an axle already, or one that requires rebuilding/regearing, you might as well spend the coin on something that you can use in the future. i've seen several guys throw tons of money into lockers, super strong shafts, ujoints, and the likes into a Dana 44 or a 10 bolt, just to ditch it later to run bigger tires. why waste the money, go 60 to begin with, and only spend it once. that's one of the reasons i'm picking up a 60. i found one REAL close for a reasonable price, and it will allow me to use a drivers side drop transfer case making more clearance for exhaust, and the ability to use a stock shifter, rather than something from another body style of truck that may or may not fit quite right.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

cool man! 37s been tearin up my 10 bolt that's for sure! ive got a 60 that im plannin on throwin some bearings on, a detroit and crossover pretty soon.

4. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

More power to yas, I'll stick with my 35's and beefed up 10bolts. Better mileage, I stay within my state's legal limits and walk thru just the same as you guys with the 60/70/14ff's and for half the cost.

It's all about driving skilz.....

<-- Just bustin your chops guys. Sooner or later I'll wind up goin to the big diff's.

5. destinbeachman

Yeah,I have definitely seen some cases where experience and time behind the wheel make all the difference.Personally,I just don't want to worry about anything anymore.Shafts,joints,yokes,steering,etc...I want to get up,get in my rig and head out knowing that I'll be able to drive her back in the evening wihout breaking a sweat.My problem now is getting this POS-looking thing back into good shape.It looks like it was used as a boat anchor.I'll be wire-brushing with my grinder for hours tomorrow.Just so I can soak it in PB and then try and break it all loose.Gonna be a ton of fun.It appears to have a pinion bearing issue,too.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what are you going to run for rear axle? 14b or d70?

7. destinbeachman

Already have a 14ff in her.Detroit and discs.It's a 70 with a 427/350/203 combo with 6" on 37s.About 50/50 my daily driver.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

sounds like a pretty wicked rig IMO