Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im scared of my suicide tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stepsidesmoch, May 27, 2003.

1. stepsidesmoch

stepsidesmoch Registered Member

last year i crashed my 1986 stepside, it was mint condition, no rust, sm465, np208, 10bolt, 6 inches of lift, custom seat, stainless rails in bed, and a suicide tank on drivers side, gm goodwrench 350 with rochester carb, and dual exhaust of course
    i had luckily just filled the tank so there was no vapor to blow up, but the taxi cab that rammed under my door doing 45 mph and me sliding sideways doing 45, made the tank pop, no fire so i was safe, but it sucked, i coulda been a crispy critter
    can i make my gastank in the rear between the frame rails, is it hard, my current truck is 1987 stepside with dual tanks, 305 TBI and 4 inch lift /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Probably the only thing in the way would be the spare tire??

I dont see why a Blazer gas tank wouldnt fit.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

My 83 4x4 shortbed had a 30 gal. tank between the rails for the same reason. I didn't do it, the previous owner did. Spare was set upright behind the cab in the bed. He said it wasn't hard, but since I didn't participate in the switch, I couldn't attest to that.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Make the man at the gas station happy, install a 40 gal. tank from a Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I dumped a 80s TBI van tank between the frame rails of my K20. Had to remove almost all the crossmembers, and add a bucnch of new crossmembers and plating, but it's damn nifty!

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yes side saddle tanks have their problems in crashes. But so do rear mounted tanks. A blazer/ burb tank mounted in the rear and get rearended by someone doing 45 mph faster than you're going and that tank could burst too.

7. stepsidesmoch

stepsidesmoch Registered Member

LOL, 40 gallons, good lord man, thats more thana paycheck for me, gas up here is 1.45 a gallon for regular.
    at least a rear tank would be behind me, and not right under my rump... im not a peice of meat i dont wanna get cooked, plus rear tank would put more traction over the wheels in winter if it was full, so double the pleasure but no sliding fun, lol and traction in the woods
    im going to have to pull out the hobart and make some brackets and skidplates, spare tire wont be a worry cause i dont carry a spare, well a 35 in the bed, but that is to big to fit between rails, i can mount a air tank where old gas used to be, and on other side make arangements for a keg holder, with a tap and pipe system running to tailgate... no drunk driving of course, my sister is a police officer

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    gas up here is 1.45 a gallon for regular.

[/ QUOTE ] \must be nice.
    where is up here?
    im in az and we are paying 1.70 almost. i have not been to a gas station in a week or 2. so i cant say just how much.
    before i moved here in oregon it was .99 a gallon. but that was 5 years ago.
    Grant

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd probably have to have a pretty small (or very long/flat) tank to tuck up INSIDE the frame rails. As was mentioned, almost all rear tanks hang down below the frame rails as well, and if a car slid under my K5, (or my '85 Cutlass for that matter) it would certainly hit the tank. Actually in the K5 they'd hit the skid plate, but you know what I mean.

10. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have been told, but not actlly tried, but dosent a Blazer/Suburban tank sit higher in the frame than a saddle?, so wont there be a problem because a truck bed sits lower than a Blazer/Suburban?

LooksBack

11. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just picked up a 40 gal tank from an injected burb to replace the 15 gallon in my truck. going under the rear of the bed. gonna be some work but worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clay
    84 K10 8"Superlift, ORD flip, D44, 14B Detroit, 355 TBI, 36" Baja's /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Mine had a 2" body lift. That may be why they did the lift.

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

try these guys out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

where is up here?
    im in az and we are paying 1.70 almost. i have not been to a gas station in a week or 2. so i cant say just how much.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys have it good I pay up the ass for gas its a $1.20
    around here /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

where is up here?
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys have it good I pay up the ass for gas its a $1.20
    around here /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif [​IMG]
    i just payed 1.71 for 87 octane here!!