Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm screwing people over again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 29, 2005.

?

What should I do

1. Give $750 back (50 more than he paid me) and take it all back

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Give him my other TH400 and have the guy check it out while I'm there; and take the other 400 back.

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Give him the $600 that he wants and let him keep everything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Give him half of it ($350) back and call it even

36 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I sold a TH400 and NP205 a couple weeks ago. The tranny worked in the truck I pulled it out of. Previous owner had no tranny problems that I was told. Rather than keep it for the "Swamp Thing" project, I opted to sell it to get my $700 back for it instead. He was going to give me $750 for it, but I said $700, and signed a receipt saying it was used but working, and I recommended that he change fluid and filter since it sat for a while. I gave him tranny/torque convertor, T-case, adapter, shifter, crossmember and front/rear drivelines.

Today I get a call and the guy tells me the tranny is toast. I'm shocked and ask where it is and say that I want to go look at it in person. So he gives me the location of the tranny shop where it's at. He had the guy check it out first and discovered it was on the verge of going out; bad bands, etc.

So, I'm not financially ready to buy it back, but he askes me if I'd make up the difference. I'm willing to do that because I'll keep my word and I told him it was a working one (which it was, but it wasn't going to last long appearently).

He asks if I'd give him $600 back. I'm like... $600? So you'd be getting a 400/205 for $100? I told him that the transfer case and adapter alone to myself was worth $300-350. I offer to give him another TH400 tranny I had that I was keeping for my plow truck, which I knew worked and drove before, but he says he's rather have the one he got from me rebuilt and rather have money back. So I said I'd give him $600 back and I'd take the 205 and adapter back. But I decided before commiting to one deal, I wanted to look at the 400 first and verify it as the one I sold.

Today I was tied up but talked with the tranny guy on the phone and had a friend go check out the transmission in person. Sounds like it is the same tranny, and it was on the verge of going out. The tranny guy agrees that a half/half money split would be fair and says that TH400 K-case cores are worth 300-350.

I'll make a few offers tomorrow: See Poll

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

$600 is way to much to give him if hes keepin it. i say either split it, or give him his money back and take ur stuff back.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That guy is nuts if he expects you to give him $600 and keep the stuff. I say offer up another tranny or buy back the set -up.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Quit saying that. With out ever meeting you in person I'd have to say you're honest to a fault. And sometimes people use that against you to their advantage. Maybe not this time but IMO it has happend in the past!

You are selling used parts, not New. I'd start out giving him another th400 and if that don't work out, $350 is plenty fair. And if that's not enough tell him to pound sand!!! Stop letting these people walk all over you.....

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stomper said it all. You sold him a transmission in USED condition. It could have 100 or 100K miles left.... who's knows? Point is, there is a risk associated with buying stuff used as we all know. I vote give him the replacement 400 that you know works well or tell him tough ****.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would give him the other TH400, no cash, and take back the bad 'core'. The deal you made was for a functional TH400 and 205. For all you know he could have decided to have the TH400 built regardless. Hell, you could take any 100K mile slushbox apart and based on a visual say it's on it's last legs...

I'd bet with fluid and filter the first TH400 would be fine. What incentive does the tranny shop have to tell the guy the tranny is fine?

Rene

7. mountainexplorer

I wonder, if I give him $350 back, it would be fair if I kept the core tranny wouldn't it? Only thing is he wants to have the guy rebuild it. The tranny guy said it sounds like he's trying to get me to pay for a large portion of the rebuild. The tranny guy says he's been building transmissions for this guy's family for years, but after talking with me on the phone when I told him I'd rather lose money than have someone feel screwed over, he said "You can't give your stuff away for free either, if you can take back your T-case and make more that way do that". He seemed to think $350 back is fair... but I wonder if thats fair with me taking the 400 back or letting him keep the 400.

I think I'll say $350 cash back and he can keep the T-case, adapter, crossmember, and drivelines, and I take back the 400 and convertor; or I'll give the other TH400 tranny and take back the bad one and call it even.

I'd rather buy it all back and give him an extra 50 bucks but I only have about $350 right now, and thats from getting a payment on a 396 I sold and I sold an Edelbrock 750 today that I didn't want to get rid of, but wanted to have money to give the guy if need be. I'll be trying to sell a bunch of stuff tonight to people I know.

Anyone here want used parts from me? Guaranteed to fail before you install them.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I say trade out the trannys. You are way too nice a guy and are beating yourself up unneccesarily. It sounds like he's trying to get over on you to me, which would really piss me off.

I think my response to the guy would have been along the lines of gimme my stuff, you can have your cash (no extra stinkin' $50 either, that's way too generous), if he gave me any hassle after that, I would probably invite him to eat a bowl of d*cks.

9. mountainexplorer

The tranny guy said that he pulled the pan, and it looked like someone had just put fresh fluid and a new filter in it to try and keep it alive. But it wouldn't have lasted too long. He seems like a straight forward guy on the phone. Plus my friend that went there today and talked with him in person seemed to think he was ok.

Here's where it gets hairy though. I gave him a TH400 from an '81 Crew Cab. It ran and drove fine before but sat a long time. Before I pulled it, I got it running and made sure it moved forward and back. Then I pulled it out. The 205 behind it was acting weird in it's shifting pattern, so I gave him the other 205 I had that worked in all positions, out of an '80 regular cab truck. And I gave him all the drivelines out of the '80 because they would be the closest match for his Suburban.

I kept the TH400 out of the '80 and the T-case out of the crew cab (to fix eventually). I just told him it was out of an '80 because thats where the drivelines and matching components came from, and I didn't want to confuse him by explaining it all. Both trannies were working though. The one I gave him had 32,000 original miles on it from behind a 292 6-cylinder. I tried to give him the best parts so that there wouldn't be an issue (with the exception that he got the slip yoke 205, but at least it shifted properly). All in all I tried giving him the parts with least wear on them (A TH400 that had a 402BB in front of it and snowplow and hauled heavy loads or a TH400 with 32,000 miles behind a 292 6-cylinder... which would you think had an easier life?)

So technically, I didn't tell him the 100% truth, but was trying to give him stuff that worked without problem. When he picked it up tranny and T-case were separated.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  10. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Take your parts back and give him the $700 (not $750) back. If he does not like that maybe $150 to a rebuild at most. Th400s are not that hard to rebuild.

Or maybe a different TH400 and get the other one back. Any thing else and he is ripping you off.

11. mountainexplorer

I want to walk away from this deal and any deal with him feeling it was fair. This is a guy that goes to one of the big local mud bogs, and I want to see his Suburban on rockwells and 56" tires out there in the spring. (Though the transmission guy seems to think his Suburban is a big pile that he wants out of his shop). If I can't walk away from a deal by shaking his hand and looking him straight in the eye then I don't feel right, unless the other guy gives me no choice and is unreasonable.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Make a counter offer of 250 or 300 back plus let him keep the trans. I'd say if you made 400 you'll have done well.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Did you put "sold as-is" anywhere in the bill of sale? If you didn't, he could stick you with the full price of the rebuild in small claims court if you put "it works" in it.

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not this time. Did you tell him that it worked when you pulled it but that's it?

I voted for the $350 option, but if I were you I would make it painfully clear from now on (i.e. in writing on a receipt that you keep a copy of as well) the parts you are selling are as is.

NO WARRANTY AFTER THEY LEAVE YOUR PRESENCE. No ifs ands or buts.

You buy the parts in good faith. Do you go back to whomever you buy parts from and say you want your money back if you get somethin that isn't perfect?

Oh and also didn't the tranny guy say that the case is worth 350? Isn't the t-case and adapter worth about 350?

Seems to me you're square with the guy and he's just hacked because he didn't get a super deal.

To clear your conscience on this one though, give him the 350 dollars and don't let anyone walk off your property without knowing they have no reason to come back to you in the future unless they want to buy more stuff.

AS IS should be your motto from now on.

15. mountainexplorer

Here's how I wound up with the parts:

The 1980 K20 Chevy was bought by a friend of mine for $500 and I towed it home for him (he paid for gas). It got sideswiped by a drunk lady on the street the night we towed it to my house and he got $350 from that accident even though it didn't damage the truck. He sold the 402 out of it for $700 and then the guy never came back and has never shown up since... so after the motor sat around he sold it again for $700. The truck has sat stored on my place for the last year. By this point he had generated $1750 back from a $500 truck and still had the complete truck minus motor. I wish I could make that much off something.

He got a $600 '81 Crew Cab that was an Alaska Pipeline truck, from an older lady who's husband owned it. It ran and they used it on the farm before he passed away. It had a 292 6-cylinder with 400/205, Dana 60 front with 4.56s, 32,000 miles (more idling time than mileage).

He was going to part out both trucks... $700 for each 400/205 combo, $1200 for the Dana 60/14 bolt axles etc... which would have been over $2500 or more overall when everything was sold.

I wheeled and dealed and ended up giving him $1900 for the '81 Crew Cab complete and the 1980 Chevy truck body and frame (no axles) with 400/205, knowing he made a good chunk of change but I wanted another Dana 60 and one of the 400/205's for my Plow Truck project.

So I figured, one of the 400/205 combos could get sold for $700 so I could reclaim some of my $1900 I spent.

Both trucks ran and drove before they were parked and pulled apart.

I told the guy who bought the 400/205 for $700 that it was just a used tranny but it worked. The receipt said used working condition. I told him verbally that if it turns out there is something wrong with the tranny I would make it right. If I had felt anything was wrong, I wouldn't have sold it at all.

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did you ask the Trans shop how much a rebuild would cost on the th400? Also did you ask the trans guy how many miles it had left in the tranny? Did he just pull it apart or did they bench test it first befor it was pulled apart? A working trans is different than a trans that need rebuilding.... Neather of you had or have any way of telling how long that trans would work befor rebuild..... Be carefull and look at all angles.... Sounds like he wants more than what he was buying! Just my two cents worth....

17. mountainexplorer

Tranny shop owner said that the type of rebuild that he wants is a $600-$800 job with HD parts and stuff. I can understand, if it's apart and he has to rebuild it, might as well go all out. But it was just a stock used one when he bought it.

From what I understand the 400 is apart right now. My friend took pictures of it and the pieces with his camera phone, as well as the pan and fluid in it, and buildup at the bottom. But I'll be going up there tomorrow to settle everything.

I think if he keeps the core I'll give $200 back. Last 400/205 I sold in "core" condition was $550 without drivelines, and the fluid in it was real dark. So I'll say $200 back and you keep everything... $350 back and I get the bad tranny back, $750 back and I take it all back, or my TH400 and I get the other 400 back.

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You told him it was used. You told him it was working when you pulled it out. Unless the tranny guy is willing to swear that the tranny was non-operative when he took it into the shop, I would tell the guy to pound mud. You know that any part of that tranny that is even borderline, the trans guy is going to recommend replacement. Your customer just wants you to pay for a reuild he was going to do regardless. I hate dealing with people that try to screw you over when you are being up front with them!!!

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 the guy saounds like an ass that is trying to pull one over on you
    dont let him do it
    you sold a used tranny, thats all there is to it

20. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Did you sell it as an upgraded HD TH400? If not what is the Basic rebuild cost?