Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm so bummed. It rained on my engine.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Oct 21, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I\'m so bummed. It rained on my engine.

i dont know what i'm gonna do. is it ruined? i had it covered very good with 2 heavy tarps, but that wasnt enough, the wind blew the tarps and it flooded it. its been sitting for a day and a half before i noticed it. damn. i dont know what i'm gonna do, i'm broke, i can fix it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: I\'m so bummed. It rained on my engine.

crap Branndon, that really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    The only thing I can suggest is to take it to an engine rebuild shop, and ask if its fixable.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I think a wire wheel, steel wool, wipe it down with some brake clean and call it good.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think I would take it apart and have it boiled out. There's no telling where all that rust might end up.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Start hosing it down with WD immediately. Then get out the wire brush and clean it up again. Looks like all surface rust so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

k, i took some wd 40, washed all the rust down, scraped it with a wire brush, dried it with a towel, and wrapped it like a burrito with a towel on the outside of the motor then a tarp around that 2 times and bungee cords and rachet scraps holding onto the motor, i dont think its going anywhere. damn i hope its ok /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Find an open port for each cylinder-dump some ATF in each one, dump some in top of each head, pour some over the crank, then turn it over by hand a couple of revolutions, that will lube the valve stems, rings, cylinder walls and a little should seep into the bottom end- it'll be fine- the real killer is rust scale, and it hasnt been long enough to form any.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it should be fine, once it fires up all that crap will be gone.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only thing I would be worried about is if some water got into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Those freshly machined walls will rust in no time. Other than that it doesn't look too bad.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It doesnt look that bad to me--but I've taken engines out of junkyards that were left sitting in a car without an intake manifold,and was full of leaves and pine needles in the lifter galley,and run them!--in fact a 305 from a 77 monte carlo is in my friends cutlass for over 3 years now,thats the engine I'm speaking of--we never even dropped the pan,just drained whatever was in the pan and changed it after 50 miles or so(and some real nasty looking crud and rust came out,the oil filter was real heavy too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)despite all this its still hanging together,and he beats it pretty bad--it does smoke some,but not so bad you'd get tickets or anything.I'd clean yours out carefully,you may do more harm cleaning it when you loosen all the rust up,and any steel wool or wire brush bristles wont be very good for it-- like Tim said hot tanking it will remove the rust,but all the pistons and bearings will be ruined unless they are removed.Having resurected many old engines that were seized with rust,I think yours is only a minor dose of corrosion,not a fatal one --yet!--I'd store a motor like your thats got no pan or intake in a barrel or tank with enough kerosene or diesel fuel,or even drain oil to submerge it,while your waiting to finish building it,that will keep it perfect until you get more time or cash to finish it.Wheel bearing grease works too,but water will penatrate it after awhile--I've had cranks stashed away with tons of grease on the journals,but still rusted under the grease!.You could spray it with cosmoline too,if you can locate some somewhere--that is pretty effective for short term storage also. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had thought this was all freshly machined. If it's just a used motor I wouldn't worry about it at all.

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Un-wrap that motor from how you have it wrapped up now, take a quart or 2 of a thinner oil... like 5W-15... and pour it all over it, then pour it on some bath towels and wrap it back up again. The WD on it will work OK, but it will also disapear faster than the motor oil will if you are going to have it stored for a while.

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

this motor wont be stored too long, a day or 2, i think i'll continue building it this weekend, so its too dark to see anything tonight, should i oil it up or just start re building it if i have time tomorrow?

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this motor wont be stored too long, a day or 2, i think i'll continue building it this weekend, so its too dark to see anything tonight, should i oil it up or just start re building it if i have time tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that it will be OK for another day or so... but if it is going to be stored longer than that I would for sure oil it up.
    For a couple bucks each thru Summitt or Jegs you can actually buy Engine Bags for storing engines... they are basically a garbage bag that is like a 4mil plastic to resist holes.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hauled my 406 home from Fresno where we assembled it to my home in Modesto. I had it in a trailer with a tarp covering it. I got caught in one of the worst rain storms I had ever seen in my life!....I took shelter under a gas station and I could see everyone was pulling over on the freeway, thats how hard it was raining. My 406 got pretty wet but when I got it home I soaked it in WD40, wrapped it up, and let it sit about 2 weeks before I installed it. I never had any probs with a little surface rust.

16. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

oil it up just to be safe, make sure you get all the hidden ares of the motor such as ports and cylinders. turn over the motor with a wrench a couple time to unstick the surface rust in the cylinders. the motor will be fine. same thing happened to my motor, while it was in the truck we had a huge storm and the motor actually filled up with water. i drained it, oiled it, and fired it. just be sure to change the oil after about a week after you fire it up.

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks everyone, this is a BIG relief to me. thanks again for all the help!!!

18. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    k, i took some wd 40, washed all the rust down, scraped it with a wire brush, dried it with a towel, and wrapped it like a burrito with a towel on the outside of the motor then a tarp around that 2 times and bungee cords and rachet scraps holding onto the motor, i dont think its going anywhere. damn i hope its ok /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you sprayed it down with WD40 again before wrapped it up

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If there is a marina or marine supply place in your area, then go buy some fogging oil, the stuff is great and will not be harmed by water.

20. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

Dude...you didn't have that thing in your living room during the rebuild? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif....Jeeez...some people's kid's eh!
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif