Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im so confused???? 14 bolt help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guest, Nov 30, 2003.

1. guest

guest Registered Member

ok im going to the junk yard tommrow to pick up my 14 bolt that i will be pulling. there are 2 types of the 14bolt axle- the 9 1/2 and the 10 1/2 ring gear types, the 10 1/2 has the 6 bolt removable pinion rite? what is the difference between the 9 1/2 and the 10 1/2 14 bolt axles? and whats the deal with having to swap the brkae baking plates, do i have to do this?

Thanks
    cody

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

10.5" are all 8 lug, and if i recall, the smaller 9.5" some or all are 6 lug?.. larger ring gear=stronger...yes 10.5" has the removeable housing for the pinion..

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

9 1/2 ring gear is a SF axle, the 10 1/2 ring gear is a FF axle. You'll be better off with a FF. Easiest way to tell the diff is that the hub sticks thru the rim, where the SF has a flat hub like the 10 and 12 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

in the 88 up trucks the sf is 6 lug in the 87 down they are 8 lug, i got a 8 lug sf in my truck now, and my frtiend has a 88 with the 6 lug sf.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the 10 1/2 has the 6 bolt removable pinion rite?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct sir. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. guest

guest Registered Member

ok, thank you, now what about having to change the brake backing plates?

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

14BSF= a false sense of hope, c-clips, shafts just big enough for a 3/4 ton with lots o smog crap and no power while running an open diff and stock tires. It is available in 8 and 6 lug versions, 6 lug, more rare, and usually using metric (14mm 1.5) studs.
    14BFF= easiest way to find the next weakest link, full-floating true cross pin 4 spider design just wainting for a detriot big tires and a heathy right foot. The cross pin in the FF carrier is comparable to a 10-bolt shaft, well close but not really?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

seriouslt though the two main differnces on the outside are the hub design (8 bolts holding the shaft on the FF) and the covers, SF looks like a big 12-bolt cover, FF looks like a poorly drawn octogon. I don't see a need to change the backing plates. The t-fitting on the rear brake line should interchange. Just bolt it up blead the brakes and go.
    Hope this gives an idea of what you are looking for

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Why change the backing plate? Make those brakes work, or switch to disc....

Watch the ratio in the 'new one' so you don't get any surprises....

9. guest

guest Registered Member

well in the 14bolt axle swap review, it says that the backing plates will need to be changed to 13inch suburban brakes, So i dont need to switch them? wont the backing plates and brakes that are on it work?

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well in the 14bolt axle swap review, it says that the backing plates will need to be changed to 13inch suburban brakes, So i dont need to switch them? wont the backing plates and brakes that are on it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would follow the swap guide closely if you are going to retain the stock drum brakes. Most folks toss the drum brakes and go to rear disks. In that case, you either do away with a parking brake, use Cadillac calipers, or a driveline mounted e-brake. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah the brakes should be fine. May have some e-brake cable issues. My advice is if you have to rebuild the drum brakes at all switch to disc price is compareable and well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif