Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Spoiled now!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I\'m Spoiled now!

The P.O. (Previous Owner) of my 88 Burb gave me a FACTORY service manual for the truck. OHHHHHHH man does it make the Haynes look like junk! Excelent trouble shooting guides nice detailed steps and no hunting for Torque specs at the front or back of the section, It has them included in the steps. It does have a complete torque spec page for each section at the end.

Anyway I have a little serge when cruising. this truck has had maybe 1000 miles put on it in the last year. So I have been blaming bad gas (40 gallon gas tank so a 400+ mile cruise range so you know it's old). It's getting better after finnaly running it down to 1/3 tank and topping off with premium. Still there a little. For a while I was woried the Torque converter was locking and unlocking till I got that tank of gass this morning.

So I was looking though the trouble shooting section. O2 sensor is listed as a potential cause. That goes back to stale gas as the likly problem.
    The PO kept good records of what has been done to the truck. Set up a nice chart with when and what was done. Almost due for front brakes. I replace O2 sensors at 60K and I don't see where it has been done. So I guess I'll go ahead and install one this week. See if that cures the last of the serging.

Ok where is everybody getting Hub nut wrenches for 14ff's GM Service tool number J 2222-c /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmm might not be on much today...Got something to read /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: I\'m Spoiled now!

[ QUOTE ]
    The P.O. (Previous Owner) of my 88 Burb gave me a FACTORY service manual for the truck. OHHHHHHH man does it make the Haynes look like junk!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've been tryin' to tell you guys this for the last 3 years or so. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There is a LOT more information in the factory manuals. The set for our '94 Sub are about 6 inches thick. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Chilton tries to cram the info for 10 years of trucks into a 1-inch thick book. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've got a slick tool that I got from a Mac Tools truck a few years ago. The outer part of it has the 6-pin spanner that fits my 14 bolt FF spindle nut, while the inner part has the 4-pin spanner that fits a Dana 44/10-bolt spindle nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to find a factory service manual. The Haynes and Chilton has some useful information, but these manuals are more useful as toilet paper.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I LOVE mine. I bought the '90 R/V service manual from someone on here. After reading through a lot of it, I bought the matching unit repair manual off of e-bay. That's just as cool and a little more specific on certain things (believe it or not). And now I look everyday on e-bay for the last book of the set - the '90 R/V electrical manual.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Where can you buy the factory service manuals? How much$$$?

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

as for that surging, also look at the wire that goes to the O2 sensor...the part on the trucks wiring harness. mine had a few inches of insulation stripped off and was getting 12 volts periodically, causing it to surge.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

helminc.com

about $100

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got mine in a swap meet for $25....
    That was the best $25 I've ever spent...
    next to a ck5 membership... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    as for that surging, also look at the wire that goes to the O2 sensor...the part on the trucks wiring harness. mine had a few inches of insulation stripped off and was getting 12 volts periodically, causing it to surge.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. I'll definetly check that when I get under there to swap the O2.

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Grim, you wheeling or riding???

Depdog

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Helm

Helm

I got the whole set for my 90 for xmas for like 100. You can also buy the books individually. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Hell I'm still trying to line up a trailer. I'll be riding if I can find a seat. I have to get the 79 there for delivery.
    If I don't find a trailer or somebody to drive it up then The wife will have to drive it up and we will have to head home after the meet and greet. She has stuff to do on Saturday. I have stuff that has to be done Sunday so I need to be home by Noon.

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For a while I was woried the Torque converter was locking and unlocking till I got that tank of gass this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you have a Turbo 400, which most likely you do, the convertor does not lock at all. It is not a lockup type.

Just throwing it out there. But you did say you had ruled it out. So, i was just making sure I guess.:p

John

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Grim, wifes not going, you got a seat if you want it. (Might require pulling cable /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

15. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Jim, you got a back seat. My oldest it gonna have to ride with somebody else, or bounce around in the back of mine on the toolbox /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Depdog

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No back seat in the '73, just a tool box. Sorry.

17. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    For a while I was woried the Torque converter was locking and unlocking till I got that tank of gass this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you have a Turbo 400, which most likely you do, the convertor does not lock at all. It is not a lockup type.

Just throwing it out there. But you did say you had ruled it out. So, i was just making sure I guess.:p

John

[/ QUOTE ]
    According to the 2.5 inch thick year spicific reapir manual it says I have lock up converter. What I don't have is over drive. I thought all THM400's from about 82 had it.

18. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Grim, wifes not going, you got a seat if you want it. (Might require pulling cable /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]
    hehehe that's fair I guess. I need the exercise LOL.
    If I don't get a trailer lined up then The wife will be driving up one of the trucks and then after meet and greet I'll have to head back home. She has stuff to do Saturday.
    I'm not sure I have time Thursday night to get way up to Kerry's or Igor's. I was avoiding calling Ken. Feel like I run him ragged all the time using his Press and stuff. didn't want to ask again till I could repay some of the favors.

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A quick look at an '87 service manual doesn't show the TH400 having a lockup converter. I know that some TH350's had lockup converters, but I've never heard of one on a TH400. Is there more than one wire connected to your TH400? There should be one on the drivers side that controls the kick-down.

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really would like to know if there really is a lockup convertor on the 400. I have never seen one at all. My 89 and 90 (new body style) did not come with lockup convertors. It would really help my mileage as i have a higher stall convertor on my trucks. I'll do some more checking.

I also have those Helm manuals, i'll have to check them good. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I also can confirm the existence of lockup on TH350's but never saw one on the 400. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My .02,
    John