Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm stumped...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue90, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

Alright I've got an 86K5 with a 305 in it. I have no idea as to what tranny is. The motor runns great but the tranny is acting all weird. It'll shift into first and second just fine but wont go to third of fourth. I've already toyed around with the tv cable and all that did was made it shift smoother. Any idea's as to what could be causeing this?

P.S. the fluid level is good as well.:confused::1zhelp:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sounds like a 700R4, and I hate to say it, but it sounds like a 700R4.

Earlier ones are even more suspect, i.e. weaker, than later ones, so yours is likely wanting a rebuild. A reputable shop will know what parts to replace with the new fancy kind that don't break as often (those are highly technical terms, btw, based on my years of experience rebuilding auto trannies and the large number of 700R4's I've owned, i.e. none :haha: )

-- A

3. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

Does it try to shift into 3rd and 4th and just slip? That's what usually happents when it's needing a rebuild if so don't keep driving it in first and second.... Ask me how I know...:p:

4. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm...

No it does not try to go into third and fourth. It just shifts smoothly; first, second; then that's it. What do ya recommend?:confused:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check..

Might pull the govenor out,and see if its nylon gear is boogered up--usually a tranny wont upshift out of first at all if its bad,but I've seen a few that would get second gear, and none higher when the govenor gear was on its way out..

The govenor is located on the side of the tranny under a metal cap that looks like a dust cover for a wheel bearing (some have a wire bail on it,like a master cylinder cover does)..remove the cap,and the govenor slides out,you'll see the gear I'm speaking of..if its all worn down in the middle,its toast...there is some posts here on this subject already,in the past few weeks...:crazy: