Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im such a wuss! (another long story)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 24, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Im too much of a wuss to do anything even remotely heroic in my life.

So, about an hour ago, I see a ricer with no lights dart down the alley accross the street from me... followed seconds later by a cop in pursuit. The car pulls over at the opposite end of the block. Im in the process of leaving to bring a friend home. I get back about 30 min. later and the cop is still there. I thought briefly to myself "Wouldn't that be cool if the driver of the car came running down the alley trying to run away, and I ran after him and tackled him and caught him?" But I knew that wouldnt happen.

I lock up the plow truck, close the gates, grab my cameras hat and a truck magazine I had, and went to go into my house. As Im reaching for my house keys, I see two guys running down the street in front of my driveway and into my alley. At first I was shocked thinking "Is this really happening?" It looked like the cop chasing one guy, but I realized that it was two guys from the car running away from the scene.

So, like a coward, I fail to react quickly, but merely run over to my fence to see them hop over a neighbors fence and into their yard down my alley. I finally put down all the stuff I was holding, hop in the plow truck, and drive towards where they would come out. No sign of them, but on the next block over, I saw them run accross the street right after I passed by. I rushed to where the cop was (not in pursuit for some reason) and another cop car arrived. I told them where I had just seen them, but he just parks and they dont go after them. In fact, I think they are still parked there now. I drove around a bit more after that, but didnt see them again.

So, anyway, now I know Im a wuss cause I failed to stand up like a man and try to catch them when the opportunity was right in front of me. Even though I know Im probably not able to take out two guys, or even one for that matter, I'm sitting here wishing I had tried at least. At least I could have had some cool battle wounds and had a more interesting story to tell.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't have tried to chase them down either. What if one of them was carrying a pistol or something? I would probably try to tackle them if they were running past me, but I wouldn't have tried to chase them down. I think you did your part by telling the cop. It's just too bad that they were too lazy to do anything about it.

Rick

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on the other hand, maybe one of them is a terrorist and they are now free to carry out their evil deeds...

Im not telling ya to be foolhardy or anything, but ya never know...

j

4. mountainexplorer

Heres what my friend and I saw as I was bringing him home... their Honda pulled over in the lights of the cop car, with thick smoke clearly coming from inside the car. My mind assumed there was some sort of fire, but my friend clued me in on what it probably was.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You did what was smart. You have no clue who these guys are or what their situation is...and you don't have the training or 'equipment' to do anything about it. It could have been a simple traffic stop gone bad or they could have been armed and desperate. Either way you could have been killed or hurt in any attempt to 'help'.

Life ain't like the movies...

Many years ago when my wife and I were first dating, we were leaving her house fairly late at night and had planned on going to the local pub for a few drinks. As we walked to my pick-up in front of her house I noticed a small car idling at the curb with no lights on. A quick look around and we noticed a couple of guys removing 'stuff' from the neighbors work van (electrician)

I yelled at them asking what the hell they thought they were doing (wasn't it obvious?) and they immediately ran for the car. I knew two things...I couldn't get to them or the car before they could and I wasn't interested in getting my ass handed to me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So my wife and I jumped into my pick-up and took after them. At first all I wanted was the license number but by the time I cught up to them adrenaline took over...after about 4 or 5 miles behind them I passed them and blocked while I slowed (empty stretch of road with no intersecions).

I came to a stop blocking them in as best I could. I got out and grabbed the Louisville slugger from behind the seat, and they decided to back up and try and turn around. As I was about to get back into my truck I watched them miss the driveway they were trying to back into and put the Chevy Sprint a$$ backwards into a 4 foot ditch.

By the time we got to their car they two asshats had absconded into the trees. The car was still running, keys still in it obviously and there were 5 huge garbage bags filled with unknown stuff.

I opened the drivers door, shut off the car, locked it and went and called the local PD. They showed up with a dog team but came up dry.

Apparently the car was "Mom's" and the bags contained about $6000 worth of power tools and other hand tools stolen from the block my wife lived on. Everyone got their stuff back and the two boys got 6 months in the Juvy center.

So for a little while I felt pretty good about myself...then when the little bastards got out they stole my truck, went on a major B&E spree, put 2500 hard miles on it. They gouged or dented every single panel, burned the seats and after 26 days they abandoned it. I'll say one thing...they knew exactly how to screw me over the best they could. The truck wasn't totalled, and most of the damage was stuff that showed in the long term (drivetrain stuff) plus they kept it as long as they could while ensuring it was found within the 30 day window. After 30 days I would have got paid out regardless...

No good deed goes unpunished./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If I had it to do again I would have got the license plate number and called the cops...let the pro's do their job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Just wondering, did the little bastards get busted for stealing and tearing the crap out of your truck?

Rick

7. mountainexplorer

Well, at least you were able to stop them from getting away with the stolen goods. Though, that just sucks about what they did later. Thats one thing that flashed through my mind in the 3rd second after I realized what was going on... that if I get involved or try and stop them, my house/rigs/property could become a target for vandalism or theft in the future, versus if I just stayed out of it.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Just wondering, did the little bastards get busted for stealing and tearing the crap out of your truck?

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I knew who did it but the cops weren't interested in 'processing' the truck when it was recovered. It was just another stolen vehicle that didn't warrant their time I suppose. The cops never even came by the house at the time...

Rene

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine is a commando style guy. If the opportunity arises he loves to whip out the guns. One night we had a job in the ghetto, so I was riding shotgun (literally) and he had a couple pistols in the doors and whatnot. After we left the job and where cruising home (usually got finsihed about 3-4am) and we see this white car racing us in the next lane... all the sudden the car slows WAY down as we go by the MickeyD's... Well there were cops sitting in the driveway and they took off flying and police took off past us also. The car turns right and the cops follow into this neighborhood. SO, being mister big shot my buddy take off and goes up three blocks and slides around the corner and heads up to the next block where the white car is dodging people and making zizzag moves threw alleys. Finally after a uturn and a couple close calls we end up with then coming down the road heading right for us crossing their path. My buddy slams on the brakes and heads in to where they would hit the front passengers side of the truck. He rolls the windows down and says grab the shotgun and stop them, he jumps out with gun in hand and props himself up between the door and cab pointing out over the hood. I no more than pop the shotgun out the window and they slam on the brakes and stop infront of us. The cops right behind them surround the car. One comes over and says I dont who you guys are but get out of here and starts to way away... then turns back and says 'OH Hey... Thanks' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My buddy use to ride along with the campus cops and though he wasn't suppost to, he did make a couple arrests. He also chased a drunk/drugged up guy down the highway on his motorcycle. The guy was hitting cars, swerving across lanes, knocked an audi off the road and almost hit my buddy. He speeds back up and yells for the guy to pull over, the guy looks at him and pulls out a gun and starts waving it around, so my buddy slows down grabs his cell phone calls the police while riding and continues to follow the guy. Finally the cops coming in the other direction sees him and crosses the center lane, my buddy pulls up and holds a gun to the guys window to get his attention about that time the sheriff crosses the road in front of the car and the drunk guy turns right and runs off the road. As the sheriff runs over to the car the guy gets out waving the gun around again and the sheriff and the that guy are at a standoff... my buddy yells out drop it or I'll shoot, as the guy looks over he sees he's out numbered 2 to 1 and he dropped his gun. My buddy didn't get his name in the paper but he did fill out most of the police report. The sheriff was very happy he was there though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i wouldnt have tryed to chase them down either. Its not being a wuss. I wouldnt whant to get myself killed /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif