Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i'm sure it's been done but...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poolcues, Jun 2, 2005.

1. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

i've got a rear axle and the fill plug won't budge.i rounded the inside of it so my next alternative is to take another rear diff cover and weld a fill plug on it so i can change the fluids.has anyone done this and if so got any pics.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't you weld something to the fill plug thats stuck (like a nut) so that you can turn it out with a wrench?

Used that trick (learned here) on a broken diff cover bolt, and it came out no problem.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can do like Dorian said , and then replace the plug with a plug that sticks out with 4 flats for a wrench instead . I have seen both kinds of plugs on axles .

4. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

Try a #5 screw extractor. It's got LH splines that taper. Just drill through the plug completely and knock the extractor in till its tight. Then heat the diff housing a little. It should come out with a little muscle. Just be sure to CLEAN inside the housing and make sure you have a magnet in the sump.
    Ive used it on plugs in heads and blocks that had loctite, silicone, and gasket maker on the threads. but they were disassembled so a lot easier to clean up.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

take bolt that fits in the square now round. then weld it to the plug. the heat will loosen it up and help in the removal . i have done this lots of times. the bolt lets you get a socket on it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is nothing wrong with adding a cover fill and drain holes. I like this idea cause its simply easier to access then the side of the diff.

7. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

Take a small ratchet extension and weld it in the plug, so that way all you gotta do is put the ratchet into the extension and the plug comes right out. thats what i did to mine, and my father did to his and my buddy. it works really well.

8. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

a bunch of good ideas.i've welded a nut to a broken alternator bolt and that works great.guess i gotta pick the one bet for me and go with it.