Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im thinkin diesel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Mar 23, 2003.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Well the time has come to replace my tired 5.7 At 130k I am concidering putting in a diesel engine for fuel eco due to gas prices goin up .What do you guys think would be the best most reliable diesel engine that I could bolt in using my stock drivetrain ?? thanks for any info in advance 1988 k-5 5.7 700r4 208 10 bolt axles stock lift on 33,s I should probably also mention my k-5 is my primary work truck and it sees 95% highway......thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The easiest most direct solution would be the 6.2/6.5 GM (detroit Diesel). These engines are OK diesels, they do have a few common weeknesses. A better engine but harder swap would be the 4BT series cummins diesel.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just went through this with my 81 Jimmy. The 350 was getting tired and I was getting tired of the carb messing me up whenever the trail got fun...

I finally decided on a diesel. I chose the 6.2 for a few reasons. Number one was availabilty, plent of them out there and nobody gives much credit. Nuimber two was affordability...sure a 6BT Cummins would be nice, but not within my budget.

Number three, fuel economy. With the 350 I was getting anywhere from 9-11 mpg. The 6.2 gets me an honest 17 mph all day long. With an overdrive it would be much better too...I have 4.56's and an SM465 in a 6000+ lbs truck.

Number four, ease of installation. I figured "Why re-invent the wheel?". The 6.2 bolts right up with stock pieces. I bought a donor motor for $300 and a parts truck with my friend for another $300. We used all the 6.2 related parts from the parts truck to convert mine. I probably could have done it without the parts truck but having it made for a very clean and stock appearing install.

I was pleasantly surprised at the power of the 6.2...it's nowhere near as slow as some people make them out to be. When my 350 was stock it was no faster than my 6.2...

Oh yeah, it's wicked off road now!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Cool man thanks for the insight .I am totally clueless when it comes to diesels . I will keep a lookout for a donor truck that seems like my best bet .What years should I be looking for ?? thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

4BT Cummins come out of Chevy stepvans, so they are a direct bolt in. They make more power in stock form than a 6.2, and are capable of much more with the turn of a screw and some new injectors. They also last A LOT longer than a 6.2. You can find good running ones if you look around for around 2000 bucks, not bad I dont think. And oh yea, they are turbocharged, so they sound a lot cooler if thats important to you.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A stock 6.2L probably makes the same horsepower and torque of your tired 350. The only difference is the gas mileage.

The 6.2L and the 305 have the exact same horsepower and torque numbers in the 80s, the only difference is the 6.2L makes its peak torque a lot sooner which is VERY nice. And gas mileage, can't forget that. A 305 was said to be good for 16mpg back then, I don't know about the 6.2L but I'm willing to bet it'd be in the 20-23 range.

Diesel here is $1.699 for mix and 87 octane is $1.799. 89 octane is in the $1.869 range. I'll keep my 305. I'd hate to piss around with glow plugs and a block heater in the winter time. It's hard enough to start a gas motor in the winter, I don't need any more trouble.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Diesel here is upwards of 2.10(or was last week) and gas is down to 1.59 at the place I work at. I have a few friends that drive non-turbo diesels(one 6.2 and a ford 7.3) neither one gets much better than 13mpg. My tired 305 that I recently replaced got about 6-8 though.

8. BlazerD

BlazerD Registered Member

Better think again, diesels are not really that cheap, an injector nozzel alone (8 of them ) is over $150.00 and the main injector pump will cost ya about a grand.. I just this weekend took out a 6.2 with 120,000 miles, and although it ran good it cannot keep up with the GAS-DOGS on any trail, street or mud-pit. My advice is to get as many diesel spare parts as you can, you might need them, and if your looking for solid complete 6.2l give me a call i'll sell it CHEAP..

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

And how often do you need to change these parts on most diesels? Not very often from all the diesels Ive worked with.

10. BlazerD

BlazerD Registered Member

This is true, but just beware of the high cost in doing these types of repairs.. even a starter is $200

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, realistically you probably only got 16-18 out of a diesel when it was brand new in the 80s and I never got more than 16mpg in my 305 and that was turning 1400rpm going down the highway. In the city I got 12.

I haven't had this motor in long enough to know what kind of gas mileage I'm getting. 305 bored to 315 and a pretty scary cam. I'd have to guess ~11mpg. My 350 got 10mpg whether it was cruising on the highway or beating it on the street.

I don't know how you did as bad as 6-8 on a 305 though. Were you doing fuel metering with a squirt can or something? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nah 2.73 gears and 31s I don't care what anyone says the lower gears don't make for better gas mileage. Had to wind it out in creeper gear everytime I started out and 2nd gear as well just so I would be able ot make it up small inclines. My 350 is getting 6mpg right now but the timing has not been properly set yet. And I could not use 4th gear. I literally couldn't use it, the 305 had so little power that in 4th gear it actually slowed down, at wide open throttle!

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, realistically you probably only got 16-18 out of a diesel when it was brand new in the 80s

[/ QUOTE ]

The last 4 tanks my truck has gotten 17 mpg or better each time. It's not new and it's not the 80's...

6.2, SM 465, D60 and 14FF with 4.56's and 39.5x15x15 TSL's.

By all means, chuck a 350 into the same truck and tell me you're getting over 10 with a straight face...

Rene

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Overdrive is useless with 2.73s and 33s. It feels like you threw out a parachute when it slides into 4th gear. Drive is barely livable. Someday I'll get rid of my 2.73s.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats how it feels for me but see 4th gear I meant 4th gear on my SM465 trans, meaning 1:1 not overdrive. correction thats how it felt, new engine has the power for it.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yikes. I at first thought you were talking about a four speed manual by the "creeper" comment but I have a hard time believing it won't hold 1:1 even with 2.73s. I mean, you don't even have the parasitic loss of an inefficient 700R4.

Oh well, we all know how gutless 2.73s make everything.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah it was truly sad, and the fact that my 305 was fairly gutless itself helped. I really never understood it but yeah it was just sad.

18. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i love my diesel..yea its not fast but it does good on gas.. kinda except when its 2.00 a gallon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyways i have the 6.5 in my 82, its nice, change the oil when ur supposed to, keep everything up and it will last 4ever!
    good 4wheelin too, 1st gear 4lo and it will go anywhere at almost idle speed!

19. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Overdrive is useless with 2.73s and 33s. It feels like you threw out a parachute when it slides into 4th gear. Drive is barely livable. Someday I'll get rid of my 2.73s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know anyone else with 2.73's. You described it perfectly. I found some 3/4 ton axles with 4.10's but need to save up some money fast! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I talked to a guy today with an 87 pick up with the 6.2 and he says that he would never get a gas engine again He has over 145.000 miles on it and he says it still runs mint .So we got to talking and I convinced him to let me drive his truck around the block and I gotta say that compared to my tired 350 that diesel had alot of pep it was a totally different feel than my 350 it was real tourqey and smooth .I am seriosly considering a 6.2 swap for my old k-5 ..Anyone know what a newly rebuilt 6.2 sells for?? And where to get one?? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif