Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm thinking about buying a box truck....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 23, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've been looking for a pickup for a while and ran across an ad for a 14' 1994 Chevy box truck. It would actually be better for the cargo hauling I'd like to do with the pickup, but not be too good as a daily driver, which I'd like the next vehicle to be...
    The owner says the tranny started slipping and the motor has a knock, and it's a 94 (which I guess is pretty old for your biz) so he just bought a new one instead of putting money into this one.
    I don't know if the motor knock is a tapping lifter or actual knock, or if the tranny will be good as new with a flush, and I'm reallllly tempted to find out...

I was thinking it would be a great gag to go look at it with my Indian buddy, and when we're looking at it, just look at the box and the locks on it. Then ask wierd questions like "Do you ever get stopped near bridges or tunnels or anything?" "Is the box pretty airtight, or do you think a dog would be able to smell something inside it?"
    And when he says anything about the motor and tranny, say something like, "as long as it can make one trip to the city it'll be just what we need"...

These are the dumb things that run through my mind, but I don't think I'd be able to do that to a person... I might get shot or investigated, too...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do it, but have hidden cameras. That would be very funny.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. Do it. Film it. Post it. :D

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And hope his brother isn't in Homeland security!!! :eek1: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Yeah, saying 'we need it for only one trip into the city' might raise a few red flags!

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Agree there, that's why I'd say, "Can it make a trip to secluded place to dump a bod...uhhhh....railroad ties?"

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Actually, I could bring the camera and maybe say something like "I need to show it to some other people before I can actually buy it. Oh we have some great videos of the midtown tunnel and the George Washington bridge on that tape, too!"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I don't think I'd get to the end of the block before a s.w.a.t. team surrounded me...

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Make sure to ask him how many pounds of high explosive it will carry.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

"Can this truck handle several tons of fertilizer?" :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too late..

My brother had a 1990 Isuzu box truck for sale,but he sold it about a month ago for 3500 bucks!--it was a 14 footer too,and had a 350 chevy smallblock in it factory,and an overdrive automatic,with the shifter on the DASH,like an old mail truck! :eek1: -- It had the motor between the seats,and it looked like a cab-over truck(its the one with the huge winsheild)..I drove it from Cape Cod to his workplace in Westminster MA once,I was suprised how good it accelerated and handles for a big truck.(and it was no worse on gas than my pickup either!).I wanted to get it,use the box for a storage shed,and make a ramp truck out of it..but I was about 3200 bucks short.. :doah: :crazy:

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I still think it would make an excellent truck. I can fit several motorcycles in it, furniture, yard materials, heavy contruction materials, etc etc etc.

I just somehow think it would be hard to park at the train station every day... :rotfl:

I mentioned it to my dad, and he started giving me a line of reasons why it's a terrible idea. I told my wife I bet in a week he starts telling me I should get a box truck... :haha: :haha:

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Pssst, check out my buddys box van !!!! :D CHROME tanks, chrome chit everywhere lol!!!! :D :haha: :bow: Ive been meaning to get me one, but the 30 someting thousand,, eh, mine runs fine lol :D

I call him dum- dum co :D

[​IMG]

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How the heck do you do trenchless sewer replacement??

Come get this box truck, he only wants $500 for it. And if the motor is junk, I have 2 in the yard you can use... Can't help on the tranny, though...

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok man, this is thelast plumbing post im gonna make , i dont want to poo poo up yer thread :haha:

My buddys Maxs" trenchless company here in town, :D he has a full description in his site, just press play :D

THIS IS TRENCHLESS******

http://www.dontdig.com/newwhatis.html :deal: :waytogo: :whistle: :haha: