Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm thinking about giving away my old bike

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 3, 2006.

?

What should I do with the old bike?

1. Give it to a desperate but poor kid

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Winterize it and get as much as I can in the spring to pay down the debt

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. I ride naked...

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm asking $1400 for my old bike, but will take $1000. I got an offer of $1200 from a guy who doesn't know anything about bikes but wants to get it for his son. I turned him down because the situation smells of poor maintenance and a crash waiting to happen...
    I keep getting offers of $700-900, but I want to hold out for $1000. If I winterize and store it, I can easily get $1500 or more for it in the spring when all the city kids are scratching the walls to get a running bike.

Then I was thinking of maybe giving it away, as it was pretty cheaply given to me, and I just sunk money into it. I really need the cash to repay the debt on the new bike, though.
    I'm not looking to be kind-hearted and a big "Look how generous I am" showoff, but I would have absolutely LOVED to find a bike like this super cheap when I was just getting into bikes, so thinking maybe I should "pay it forward".

I need the cash, but would like to give someone similar opportunities I've had.

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

Ratch,Ratch Ratch...APE HANGERS BROTHER!have fun with that bike,try things you wouldn't with the new one.a year from now you will have the money replaced and really be glad you have something to have fun with and not care.:D

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i think the wait till spring idea is best, you put work into it, and there is no fault in wanting to get something back out of it

4. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

The bike in your avatar? If you're in the giving mood, I'll take it off your hands. I've been wanting one like that for a while that I can "rebuild" and customize. Hell, that's the price range I'll look in when the time comes, and I'd buy it off you, but money is tight for a while.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sell it cheap to someone who needs a break. Karma brother.

6. boggerless

Chisler.:haha: i never understood why people make vehichles just right and then sell it cheap.if it isn't costing you anything then keep it. why lose money??:dunno: :D

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What kind of bike is it? How old is it? What have you done to it? It's great when you can give someone a brake... But remember they may not take care of it eather....

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with the karma thing but this is true also:

...see my rant about the transmission I gave away.

9. boggerless

that still pisses me off.:mad:

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

dont you know any young guys who are thinking about buying a bike? maybe someone you know is responsible enough, that if you loan the bike to them, pending they do all the maintenance on it, they can use it until they buy one of their own?

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

That's a big liability issue there.... I once let a friend put his truck in my name to get rid of some registration issues and he ended up getting some parking tickets while it was in my name and didn't want to pay for his tickets... Had to threaten to sell his truck (since it was in my name and I had the title) to pay for the tickets.... He payed for the tickets and to change it back into his name asap)... Just my two cents worth.....

12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I say to winterize it and sell it next spring to help pay for your new one.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I haven't done much to it, just tires, repairs, maintenance etc.
    The only mods were the windshield and luggage shelf I made out of aluminum stock. That' a rant right there, all these flashy luggage shelves are over $100, and they're all too small. I had to build one to hold my laptop with just a cargo net over it. I'd have to run a dozen bungees with the flashy expensive ones...

I don't know any young guys looking to get into bikes, or I'd pass it off to them cheap. But my brother has two learner bikes (450 & 550 standards) he's giving/loaning to my youngest brother and brother in law, so I can't even lend it to them. Actually, now that I think about it, I was going to store it at my bro in laws...His shed might be full with the other bike in there now. :eek1: :doah:

I got an offer of $1000. If that falls through, another kid wants to give me $850, so I'll just take that.
    I'm too lazy and keep racking up too many projects to hold on to it.

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Can you tell me the spec's on the bike and I will pass the info on to a friend. He's building an Excel and his wife rides his Fatboy. But his son has wanted a bike, too. I well send him the info and maybe you guys can work out a deal. he live is CO.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just sold it. Even though I know it's a fair price for this bike, maybe a tad on the high side, I feel like I'm taking too much money for it. Every time I sell something I feel like that... When I sold both K5's, the S10, the Intrepid, the commuter box... I almost always feel like I'm taking too much money for it...

This is why I could never run a business... I would negotiate my own price down for the buyer and never make any money. :doah: :doah:

Cmoe, sorry about not replying. I don't think this bike is worth trucking from NY to CO, the shipping would be at least $300 on it, but probably more like $500-600. I'm sure there's got to be decent or better bikes in your area for around $1000.
    This bike is an 86 Kawa Vulcan 750. It has a new front tire, needs a back tire (I had a new one just never installed it), front pads, speedo, an auto fan switch (manual switch on it right now), other little annoying things here and there. Basically a good commuter banger or around towner. I rode it 70 miles a day in the warm weather and it was fine.

But for some reason I can't get it out of my head that $500 is a good price for it. And I know if I advertised it at $500, I'd start thinking that was asking too much. I guess that's why I pondered giving it away...

16. Confedneck79K30

so how much didya sell it for? 500?

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No, $1000. I negotiated down $300 from my listing price, already down $200 from prior listings. If I didn't have a bike right now and were thinking of buying this one, I wouldn't want to pay more than $700 for it, though. I like dig for months to find deals, that's why I think I'm taking too much, cause it's not what I would pay for it...

18. Confedneck79K30

oh well, all something is worth, is what someone is willing to pay for it..

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

When ever you sell anything there is always something that you can find wrong with it... remember it's not new... as for thinking you sold it for to much, don't think that way some was willing to pay you that for it.... Our renters keep asking me if I would sell him my Blazer and I told him what I wanted for it and I just got to the point that the priece is only going to go up as I work on it.... If you don't like my price than look elseware....

20. boggerless

i told my cousin saturday that i have thousands in JR. but on the street its worth maybe $1200.00:dunno: :haha: