Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm thinking Doubler for my 1972 K5, anyone do this yet>>>>>>

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Burt4x4, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I\'m thinking Doubler for my 1972 K5, anyone do this yet>>>>>>

Both my drivelines are toast from the Rubicon /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    My rig is probly too fast for the Rubicon, even in Granny Low on my SM465 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    SO The old brain starts a tickin....Doubler...Doubler....Doubler???? Need new drivelines anyway!!

I did a quick look thru and decided to POST up my question.

I have Sm465 4speed with Np205, I have the dual crossmember holding them up.

Were is this technoligy now? I know there has been many 'versions' of the 'doubler', so wich one is best for me?
    Can I leave my SM465 installed and just pull the 205 and do whaever the job requires from there?
    And of coarse COST$$$$$$
    So if you had a 350/SM465/NP205 sittin under your rig with no drivelines what kind of doubler would you use/get???

You = whoever has an opinion... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Stephen??

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m thinking Doubler for my 1972 K5, anyone do this yet>>>>>>

I have the doubler.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Mine originally had a 350/203.

I got a sm465/203 and I already had teh th400 version 205.

So I simply bought the doubler, and doubled up the 203/205.

I didn't get to use it on the Rubicon, because you WERE IN THE WAY!!! j/k.... as you all know, I turned tail and ran.

Since you need driveshafts anyway, now is the time to get the doubler in, then measure driveshafts.

Have fun!
    Good luck.

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have been wanting to do the same thing....the hardest part is finding a 203 that will mount up to the 465...it took me a good 3 months to find it...the adapter cost me out the ass...the 203 wasent that bad...i just need to come up with the funds to get the actual kit from ORD and i am ready to go....even if you did replace all your drivelines now and waited on the doubler till you can find the 203 parts you can always shorten or lengthin the shafts ass needed relativly cheep..well that is compaired to buying a new shaft all together..but the first step is really trying to find the adapter...that will give you the biggest head ache....i would be willing to part with mine....but......it will cost ya hahaha /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif j/k...not really lookin to get rid of it...dont feel like trying to find another one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Adapter? What adapter?
    I was under the impresion that ORD supplys all the parts needed to do the swap (except the crossmember)???
    Hmmm, I think I better read more on ORD's site.....

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I didn't know that!! I don't payattention to well! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Cool! Got any pics out on the web?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Stolen off the ORD Website:

GM SM465 4 speed Manual Transmission:
    If you have an SM465 transmission there are 2 ways to mate it to the NP203.

1: Use a factory configuration. GM mated the NP203 to the SM465 in 1973-1975 using the 10 spline output in the 465, a 10 spline female input in the NP203 and a 4.25" adapter housing between the two. This configuration was used in a wide range of GM trucks but is somewhat rare. Problems are the 10 spline connection tends to wear in the long term and it's difficult to find. Positives would be the short length and the ability to use the common 10 spline output in the transmission.

2: Use a SM465 that was originally mated to an NP208 transfer case. This 465 will have a 32 spline output shaft with a 8 3/8" adapter housing. You'll use a NP203 gearbox with a 32 spline input gear and the face of the 203 drilled and tapped with the GM round bolt pattern to match up to the factory 208 adapter housing. This works very well if you have the available length in the vehicle since the parts are commonly available and the 32 spline connection is very strong and durable.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm
    so is all that what this is:
    [​IMG]

Man I can't see the light for somereason??? I need a beer......I hate it when my truck is broke, I can't seam to think ATALL /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

That picture is not showing the SM465 to 203 adapter which you will also need to aquire.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK, I think I have a clearer picture now...slowly coming into focus /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Shoot for a little over 2grand ORD will send the whole damn thing xfer cases and all. Hmmmmmmm, will the wife let me spend 2grand on top of the driveline costs??????? NOT /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Damn Ok so I have a 205 and all i need is a 203fer a 465 then a TH400adapter fer the 205 then the kit from ORD w/shiftlevers and then do I want to rebuild the xfer cases while they are out?? and then fab a crossmember and then drink a bunch of Coors light and then HO DamnIT AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    MONEY SUCKS!

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    HO DamnIT AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    MONEY SUCKS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually money is GREAT!.....unfortunately, someone else must have all of mine, because I'm always BROKE! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I dunno Burt....using broken driveshafts as an excuse to get a doubler is REALLY stretching things... I know it will be cheaper to buy the driveshafts at the "correct" length to start with....but having existing shafts shortened and re-balanced is not THAT expensive to have done....at least not expensive enough to spend a couple thou' on the doubler setup.

I think you need to stay "focused" grasshopper! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Get the driveshafts you NEED now....then plan and research the "Ultra Cool Doubler" at a more relaxed pace....there's nothing worse than feeling the pressure to buy an expensive upgrade when you don't fully understand all the details and options.

Besides....I know that when Burt's truck is sad (broken), Burt is sad. You need to get the truck running soon... Doublers make a great Christmas gift, or Tax-Return purchase ifyougetmydrift! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Not quite.

If you want a sm465/203/doubler/205 you will need

1) You want to find a SM465/203 adapter ($50-$150)

2) You need a range box from a 203 that will mate to your sm465. This will most likely be a 10 spline 203 range box (and or complete 203). This will run $50-$150

3) You will need to get your current 205 MACHINED (see subsections A - C) and retrofitted OR find a 205 that was behind a th400 from 1980-1985.

A) machine your 205 for the larger bearing (I think this runs about $100)

B) You will need the larger bearing not sure how much this is.

C) You will need the 205 input gear (the kind that the original 205 have from behinda th400 (ORD sells this for ~$160)

Now you need the DOUBLER ($970)

Finally, you need to get your driveshafts shortened/lengthened. ($50-$75 for each shaft - provided your joints are good.) I would anticipate your front shaft joints are bad = ~$200 - $250

WWWWWEEEEEEEEEE

Oh yeah, my front shaft joints are bad... AND DAMN I missed the highangledriveline.com giveway this month!

Have fun!

I have pics of me installing my setup.. I need to pull them out of my camcorder, and post them... someday. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Yes Dr. Greg, I did take my medicine!hehehehe
    Hey man If I wana use this as a reson to get a doubler then YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    hehehee I read the print out from ORD in traffic on the way home today /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Hell if I woulda read that first! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Yes I will get the Doubler! But I will also just get my driveline fixed and then build a complete unit Xfer to Xfer sticks and all. Get it all ready and in one weekend BAM! DOUBLER BABY!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    My goal is by Next Summer!
    Now who has a Np203 that bolts to a SM465 or a Np205 that bolts to a Th400 for sale?????
    smile crazy cool cool crazy laugh cool crazy crazy
    ZZZZZzzzzziiiiiiinnnng POW
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I like the Coors Light part... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    Jim

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am in the process of getting all the parts i need.... honestly all i need now is clutch, pressure plate and hydraulic clutch parts.
    i "have" the 203 and the 465, just need to get them here in my garage... (ARQ!! where ya at man.... PM ME)
    how much did you pay for your addaptor?
    grant

15. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i paid right around 175 for my adapter...i got it at a wrecking yard out of pheonix...i cant remember the name of it tho...its been over a year since i got it

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OUCH! Damn I didn't think they were GOLD PLATED!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

17. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I looked for 2 months for mine and when I found one the guy had 2 bought them for 50 bucks each /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So are you gonna sell me one? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif comon you know you want your 50 bucks back! Preety Please /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think butch's other adapter came here and left already. Ask him what transfer case came in his K5......
    You need:
    -465/203 housing: used market probably $150
    -203 with 10 spline input (either original OEM or another 203 with a new input) $? New input from us is about $160
    -Doubler kit: $740 and you choose either stock rotation or twist the 205 up about 2". Most everyone gets it rotated up.
    -Shifters: $170

NP 205 with 32 spline input: either convert yours or buy another
    -Conversion cost:
    ---$200 for input, bearing, and seal and gasket kit
    ---Approx. $50-$70 for the machine work on the input bearing bore

-New case cost $850 from us, maybe more or less used.

Finally, buy driveshafts.

There you go, the instant road to happiness!

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Stephen!
    I have a battle post going comparing the Doubler with the Atlas &amp; KluneV.
    Care to add any thoughts?
    I am 90% leaning tward your Doubler. For 1 basic reason, you have always been very cool to me and givin me the time to answer my dumb ass questions. Hell you even took the time at Moab to stop and BS with us (Nor Cal gang) while forging your way to the Gold Bar Rim trail. At a high rate of speed I might add /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif very cool. You looked like one of thoes Ivan Stuart trophy trucks blasting accross Baja /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!
    Your customer service IS what puts you above ALL the rest!!
    So can I get you to call my wife and explain to her why i NEED thease parts? hehehehee J/K