Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm tired of having no plan and being basically clueless....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I\'m tired of having no plan and being basically clueless....

Ok. I'm racking my brains trying to finally decide wtf to do here in just getting my truck done. This is what I am dealing with as far as what I have now steering and suspension wise.

It's ok as far driving around town. The previous owner did it because he was using it to tow a boat and he liked to drive in the sand. I plan to do neither of these things anymore. The triple hoop makes hitting small bumps seem huge. It flexs, not at all.

Here's the axles I bought in October.

Which brings me to here. I have no clue what to do here and what I need to put together (buy, have made of search junk yards for). I can't go all out and go nuts and buy out there expensive stuff. At the same time I don't want to buy cheap stuff. I'm basically trying to just it all together then do it and do it right.

I'm basically looking to keep my height as far as lift wise, which is 6". I'm not afraid of the Sawzall to keep it. I want something that will flex well and have good road manors. I plan to drive around town. Not a daily driver but if I feel like going some place I can do so. It'll be off road too. I'm not going 1 ton to crawl mall curbs for sure...

Here's where I am stumped. What should I do with my steering? The 60 I bought has Hydro. But what else do I need to complete this and make it work. I now own 38.5" tires so I need to be able to turn these suckers. What should I do for my lift? I was going to go with 57" Ford Springs in the rear... but the front? Not a slight clue. Basically I am looking for ideas on how to make this work and make it work where I will not spending myself into debt for the next 10 years.

Currently I have about $1,000 I can spend (right after Christmas). This is to start out... I'll get more over the next 3 months with back pay from work, taxes and such. Probably end up with about $2,000. I also need to figure in I'm gonna have to pay someone to help do some of this. Realistically I cannot do it all myself since I have lack of knowledge and tools. So... what can I do here with this amount? Thanks.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: I\'m tired of having no plan and being basically clueless....

As cool as all the shocks LOOK, you will probably be better off going with a quality single shock setup.

I am having probs with my 35s and an AGR box and stock steering pump. System will cease to 'power' steer under the slightest load. Will be installing the AGR HD pump this month - I hope it works.

I have x-over steering also - I like it off-road and it is good enough on-road.

Is the hydro system an 'assist' or true hydro-steer?

If it is an assist I think you should make it work as long as it does not exceed cost of a system like one featured here from West Tx Offroad.

Do NOT try to save money on steering, brakes, and drivelines.

"I'm tired of having no plan and being basically clueless...." Join the crowd /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Go 'paint' some of your kids - I know that will make you feel better!

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well to start, I am ready to help you.
    I have the tools, the knowledge, and the passion /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I don't want money for my time, I never refuse a favor in return though.
    As far as what to do, I can only suggest cross over steering to go with the hydro and you will have great steering system.
    For springs, I have no idea what spring rates you can find, but definitely go with soft ones, and move your axle forward with either drilling the perch or using zero rates, to clear the 38.5 from the firewall.
    To clear the cross over I suspect you will need the MOO cross member, which I think is a nice upgrade anyway.
    I strongly suggest Rancho 9000s and sway bar disconnects to go with the soft springs so you can drive it around town if you need to and not be sea sick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    For the rear I would use either the 56" GM or 57" ford springs, relocating the axle rearwards by one of the aforementionned ways, and if we can make a shackle to hold the springer setup for driving on raod safely, do that one too.
    I think I can make it, I just need to play a little with the idea.
    That's all for now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Steph, I know I'm driving you crazy when I say this again...."let me know when you are ready, and how much you want".....for those triple shock hoops. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I can only suggest cross over steering

[/ QUOTE ] </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and sway bar disconnects

[/ QUOTE ] If you can figure out how to retain a swaybar with crossover steering please let me know.

6. thatK30guy

Too bad Kans-Ass has laws that do not allow multiple marriages! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I could have 2 wives, one to cook and clean and one to play and build trucks with! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 2Dogs

But they don't have a problem with your sheep and velcro gloves...? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. thatK30guy

Kind of like Cali not minding that the Boston preachers are moving into your home! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Steph..... you should just wheel the piss outta it and fix what breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 2Dogs

LOL.

To live in Ca they will need to learn to offer reach-arounds to be politically correct tho....

CCG is going to be pissed that her thread has been hijacked /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. thatK30guy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    CCG is going to be pissed that her thread has been hijacked

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep! She sure is! Thats why I'm stopping right here with the hijacking! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 2Dogs

Chat room? Been a long time Mr. Boyce.... LOL

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Keeping your budget in mind, and to keep it simple -

1. Swap out the springs for a Tuff Country or equivalent Ez ride (I hear Skyjacker and Superlift have nice soft setups, but TC is known to be THE softest). Sell what you have to add to your budget! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    2. Lose the triple shock unit, sell it to Wes. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Again, adds to your budget!
    3. Put RS9000's on all 4 corners, you will not regret it.
    4. Put crossover steering if you really think you will need it. For mall running it is not needed. I've had both standard and crossover and only under the most crossed up situation did the crossover make a difference. A big one, but for the $800ish you'll spend on the entire setup (including a good steering box) the bang for the buck is only there for a true wheeler. Before everyone flames me and says they spent $250 building a killer crossover system, STOP. I know you can, but it requires work and time, and boneyard hopping. Same with the crossmember - you do NOT need the MOO unit, the ORD crossover arm fit my 79 K5's 4" lift fine.

Boils down to what you want to do with the truck? 6" lift with 38.5's will require sawzall work, yep, and maybe that idea to use the offset zero rates is a good one in that case.

So, simply put, put the right springs on it, 4 (and only 4) good shocks, decide if crossover is really needed (and if it isn't, which I suspect it isn't, lose the hydraulic ram steering - sell it to Wes also /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ), and if you stay 'stock' steering, put a J shaped steering arm on it, with new drag link ends, and call it good. Just because it has the ram mounted does not mean you have to use it. This is all of course with the install of the D60 and 14BFF of course.

Last item I forgot up above - you could go shackle flip in the rear if you wanted. Cost less than putting new rear springs in but the good thing with new rear springs is they are NEW. Lots to be said for 'being new from the frame down' on suspension. Peace of mind.

Figure you have $200 in front springs, $350 in rear springs (or $180ish for shackle flip), $320ish for RS9000's, $60 for a steering arm and a truck that drives nice and flexes well. Put a swaybar disco setup on it for $77 and you have that option too.........

Anyway, my $.02.

Good luck, whatever you decide! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. ChevyCaGal

Pissed? Hardly.... just laughing at what smarties you guys are.

I also am not a fan of body lifts at all. But am willing to go an inch. Not much but something...

Oh for the record I have shock mounts from 55willy I plan to use... forgot to mention that. I also have swaybar disconnects which I can either keep or lose, but I have em...

And yes Wes, I know you've mentioned it about the triple hoop.... you and about 5 others who keeping messaging me about it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I would just like to say you suck, but only because I don't have the things you do.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Plan:
    Sell the fictitious /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and all this stuff you bought for a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif that does not even exist and lift the neon!
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. ChevyCaGal

Another plan, drive up here for a weekend and help me do this since I can't myself... how does that grab you? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. ChevyCaGal

I watched that welding video you lent me. It's good. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I need to now just buy a mask. I had to give back my borrowed one... maybe soon I can go from crooked, bad brittle welds to smooth ones that hold! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. thatK30guy

So you have 5 others interested in the hoops also? Am I still first in line since I asked you a looong time ago via PM? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think this is about the 4th time I've bugged you for them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

So going one-ton, you will not be a poser mall rig, as you have professed. So we now have this as the initial start:

6" Lift
    1-ton axles
    38.5" tires
    Fictional Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Too many shocks

Making 38.5's fit: So, with a 6" lift you will have to trim alot to get them to fit. Also an ORD Greasbile front shackle, on sale now at ORD (shameless plug, no?) and that will help move the axle forward a bit. I am running 39.5's and the ORD shackle now helps prevent rubbing when i am stuffed to the gills

Going 1-ton: you will then have the D60 steering block. I ran one with the 39.5's and when i was crossed up, the tires did not move. If you were only running sand, i think it would be OK, but rocks, trails, etc, you need to turn the tires. IMHO, Crossover is needed. I did mine, i love it, and i'll never go back. It also helps with the DW you WILL get.

Springs: If you want 57" Ford Springs, go with the Springer Suspension I have seen it in action, installed one myself and it is trick ride is MUCH better, also. Fronts could be EZ Rides or Simular. But i think the springs you have might be OK for your application, but you have too damn many of them which bring me to...

Shocks This is an easy and hard answer all at once. In the front, with a 6" lift, get the Ford F-150 shock towers and run Rancho 9012's with them. install the shock to the axle and see where it wants to go. take measurements, and bolt the tower where it should be. easy.

In the rear, i have no friggen clue. i have flip flopped on how the hell to do mine and i hace come to terms that i never will. sad but true. you can Inboard them, run f-150 towers in the back, lots of stuff. I am not the one to ask. the thought of rear shocks now piss me off and all i want to do is take mine off. forever.

with the $2,000 budjet it would be close.

BUY:
    ORD shackles: $80
    X-over: ~$600 or $1,000 with WTOR set up (wish i had done this out the chute)
    Fender Trimming: $50-100
    Shocks (4): $350
    F-150 Shock Towers: $40 (IIRC)
    Detroit locker: $300

So right there you are at about $1900 see if the springs work or you without 34 shocks and them see, as money permits, if you need new springs. that should leave just enuff cash for a detroit in the rear then you are set. i'll add that to the totals...

***edit** GOOD GOLLEY MISS MOLLY!! you already have the Hyro ram. I thought we were talking hydro-boost. All you need then it to have WTOR tap the box and buy some lines. It looks to already be mounted too! damn nice find!! you can lop about $200 of the totals then. you'll be well under your $2,000 budget.