Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm truly scared

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, May 8, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I\'m truly scared

Its about 1:53 am. I just woke up in the middle of the night. My eyes were kind of burning and watering. When I tried opening them, they really hurt/burn. I went to the bathroom and I had really watery eyes, washed them, and eventually was able to open my eyelids, but everything is foggy now, and I'm truly scared that if I go back to sleep, I'll wake up and wont be able to see. A couple times today I saw the light of the welder, but not for long. Does blindness occur all of a sudden? Or could it just be something else. I tried washing them again, and they started burning. I wasnt in contact with any chemicals. I just had a slight headache before I went to sleep. I never really imagined how scared I was of losing my eyesight until right now. Should I go to the doctor tomorrow?

I only hope that things wont be too foggy to read this when I wake up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m truly scared

You sound like you have "flash burn" on your eyes. An old remedy is to take a potato, cut it in half, and lay the potato on your eyes. I know this sounds crazy, but it really does work. Some chemical in the potatoes will help heal the burn. Hope this helps.

John

3. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

remember when your mom told you that masturbation causes blindness.........

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

SkulzNBonz is right, that potato trick works.

If that doesn't work, maybe potato76 is right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Of course potatoes trick is right.GEEZ.

6. mountainexplorer

Well, I can still see. My eyes are really sore this morning though, and not quite as clear, but not as bad as last night. So, flash burn is caused by having a glimpse at something really bright I take it. Thanks for the potato suggestion. If it starts again, I'll go find a potato. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just relieved I can still see. All I had in mind last night for some reason was what life would be like if I went blind. Just another reminder for me to be thankful for things like vision itself.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had a condition similar to what you are describing about 8 years ago. Is there any discharge from your eyes this morning at all (or has there been)? Is there any itching, or just burning? The condition I had was called iritis, and it presented with some of the symptoms you have exhibited. If no to the above questions, I am going to have to agree with the flash burn. That sucks too.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The light produced by the arc is enough to give unprotected skin a sunburn in seconds, so when the naked eye is exposed it does the same...to the surface of your eye. The radiation will actually blister the surface of the eye (the blisters are very tiny) and it'll feel like someone dumped a handful of hot sand into your eye, except you can't wash it out.

Generally the first symptoms show up 8-10 hours after you've been flashed and can last from a few hours of mild discomfort to a few days of agony.

You will likely find that your eyes are quite photo-sensitive for a few days after as well. Good dark sun glasses help if you have to be outside.

I've tried the potato trick, I've tried damp tea bags (works better than potato IMO) but by far the best is to go see a doctor and get him to drop in a few freezing drops /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I find the hardest thing to do with a bad flash is sleep...a few drops of freezing usually gives you enough time to fall asleep.

Don't look at the arc unless you have a helmet on!!

You have my sympathy, getting a welders flash isn't something I'd wish on anyone!

Rene

9. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

That happened to me once, but not quite so serious. I was welding at my dads shop during college, and long story short, we're trying to fill some orders late in the evening when I forgot to flip my helmot down (1 second). Thank the Lord for auto-darkening now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've experienced that 3 times in my life so far. Not fun. All 3 times it happened, I was awakened in the middle of the night with the burning sensation and watery eyes. Just could not open my eyes and they hurt like hell. And each of those instances did happen with me catching a glimps of a welding flash.

I'm very careful now around flashes as I'm around a welding shop everyday at work. I go so far to put my hand up to block the flash whenever I walk by them. Its just not worth going thru another night of restless and painful sleep. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And closing your eyes just to tack something into place is also a bad idea.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. tRustyK5

I've worked in about a dozen different fab shops and I could probably count on one hand the number of guys that religously use their helmet when tacking. Over 95% of 'fitters' tacking stuff together will do so without a helmet...myself included.

A welding helmet is for welding...not tacking/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In 16 years I have never had a flash from tacking...every flash I've had was when working in close quarters with another welder. Most come from the side rather than from looking directly at the arc.

That being said...I would recomend using the helmet even when tacking (do what I say not what I do. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Rene

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I never use a helmet for tacking either, but I do look away and close my eyes, don't wanna get a sun burnt face ya know.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tRustyK5

There are quite a few techniques for avoiding the welders sun tan.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but occasionally it happens.

It's just way too much trouble to bother with the helmet when trying to hold the parts, position the gun, and then tack it exactly where you want it...too often as soon as you flip the helmet down the sh!t moves. Auto darkening helmets are great for home, but generally they suck in a shop.

Rene

15. mountainexplorer

That sounds exactly like what it felt like to me. Thanks for the input everyone.

With the exception of a slight headache, I can see pretty much normally now.

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Flashburn in the eye's, feel's like a dumptruck has unloaded mass quantity's of gravel in Your eye's. It'll quit hurting, and be better in about 6 hour's afterward's.

In the meantime, don't try reading in bed, it won't help. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I flash burned My eyes back in high school in welding class. I have been the proud /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif owner of glasses every since. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

18. tRustyK5

I'd wager that was coincedence Corey...having flashed myself at least a dozen times in 16 years (maybe more.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) my eyesight has not deteriorated any.

Rene

19. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

when I was in highschool my friend and I decided to build a gokart, and while we were welding on it I got the worst sunburn from it. We were welding with short sleeves and I only had on a set of goggles with a welding lense in them, so my whole face got burnt too. It felt like somebody was trying to pull my lips off of my face while scrubbing me with sandpaper. Needless to say I always use a full mask and long sleeves now...

20. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you get burnt, go to the pharmacy and get some ocu-hist eye drops. They used to be prescription but you can get em OTC now, though they might be under a different name. Only times i've seen people get flash are working alongside someone else for a long period of time, or if you're really unlucky, using a cracked filter lens.