Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im trying to find a -8 AN Barbed fitting. WTF.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the hardware store has every other fitting but this one... I need -8 AN style fitting With a barb on it so i can finish hooking up my fuel cell.. Is this a rare fitting? does it exist?... im passed the point of frustration and im starting to get pissed... help is much appreciated...

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

3. Silver84k5

thx... i was looking on there.. but i get so frustrated some times when im searching for something i become really impatient and pissed, I stop looking.. heh

thx again :bow:

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you have a Checker Auto Parts store nearby, they usually have a high performance section that stocks some AN stuff. You won't find AN fittings at the typical hardware store since they aren't used in home plumbing.

5. Silver84k5

Ive never seen a checker in oregon... do they have sister stores? Shucks maybe?

I went to baxters.. that was worthless, they wouldnt know their ass from a hole in the ground...

Maybe napa? id really like to buy this piece today...

6. HarryH3

Yep, Checker, Schucks and Kragen are all the same outfit. Check 'em out at www.cskauto.com

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

an is flare fittings, so they do have it, it just needs to be made up. i made a setup from mine a female to female 7/16" or 3/8" flare, i cant remember to fitting that was that size male flare with male pipe thread on the other side, and then from that i went female pipe to barb. ill snap a pic of it later, easier to just buy a fitting from summit but if you need it right away then the hardware store is an option. its 3 pieces so theres 2 more connections and potential leak points but so far so good with mine.

8. HarryH3

AN is a VERY specific flare fitting, typically used on aircraft and in many military applications. It's NOT the same as the flare fittings that you can buy at Home Depot.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

it works. i have it setup, working and not leaking right now. i did nothing special, i simply screwed it on. it may be "special" but i cant see it being differant? both the -6 and -8 worked w/ flare fittings. the only problem with flare is the have no "female fittings" you have to use a female end w/ a piece of copper to another female end and the copper has to be flared on bothe ends, is basically a union.

10. HarryH3

AN fittings have 37 degree flares, as I recall, plumbing fittings have a 45 degree flare. I suppose you could jury-rig 'em together, but you'd never find stuff like that on anything that I'm driving. :eek1:

11. Silver84k5

im just gonna order one from summit... I bought some fuel grade teflon tape while i was at the hardware store.. so it wasnt a complete wasted trip...

Im almost to the point where i no longer want to call an auto parts store again.. I really there was more requirements for parts counters guys... That should seriously be considered a Trade. cuz im convinced that 99% of em have **** for brains...