Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Wireless !!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by behemoth, Feb 5, 2005.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Just installed a 802.11g / 108 Mbps Wireless card in my laptop and I'm now piggybacking on somebody's wireless network from my condo. I think it might be Sprints since there's a router right across the street from me.

Who else has gone wireless?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's freakin' awesome! :saweet: I'm running a Linksys 54G wireless router that's locked down and encrypted. The Linksys PC card sucked though, so I'm using a Netgear that has a MUCH better reciever section. It's really cool to drive around town and find open hotspots. :blush:

Check out www.netstumbler.com. It's pretty amazing how many wireless access points are open to the world. :-)

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Great link Harry. Thanks man !! :saweet::thumb:

I bought the AT&T Ultra 6750G Adapter at Office Max for $35 (after $10 rebate). I couldn't pass up such a deal. :bow:

The bad thing is - my boss will now expect me to actually WORK when I'm out of town. :screwy: :mad:

4. HarryH3

That's cheap enough! :xmas: I had originally picked up a Belkin for $10 on one of those "day after Thanksgiving" specials. But it sucked and their support was even worse, so back to the store it went. :( The Linksys router has been rock steady. :cool1:

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Full wireless network/dsl etup with 2 laptops.

I'm running Linksys Wireless G w/ speedbooster.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

My computers wireless at home. I am not that smart abvout computers and all that junk. All Iknow is my connection speed is normally 24. Mbps, which seems slow to me, but its still fast. I hate it that itll loose connection really quick sometimes.

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I was real pleased with the performance too. I was getting better connection speeds than I got with my dail up land line. I looked at Netgear before I went with AT&T and I went "low cost" initially. I think it'll serve it's purpose. :thumb:

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a netgear wireless network. Netgear rocks. Running 3 different puters with win 98 and XP networked to a lexmark printer.. Everything works together flawlessly. I cant believe how easy netgear is to set up. Mine is pasword protected and encripted. Also have Trendmicro PC-cillin that alerts me if anyone trys to hack into my wireless.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I tried D-link, worked OK but not good enough. Tried Belkin and it sucked. Now I use Linksys and it rocks. I have 5 putters connected to the router and my laptop is in the garage on the other side of the house. works great but I do need the signal booster in the middle. Dam logs are hard to get signal through.

Nothing like having a good "G" spot to hit on................ (with your wireless) :rolleyes:

10. HarryH3

Dave, the Netgear PC card may solve the problem for the computer in the garage. Model WG511v2. My Linksys card would show my neighbor's Linksys router at about 30% signal strength. Using my Netgear card it shows up at 90%. :eek: :cool1: Downtown at work, my Linksys card would show no connections available. The Netgear card always shows 7 to 9 routers in the area when sitting at the same desk. :cool1: Two of 'em are wide open to the world so I can check my PM's on CK5 and not be on the corporate net. :blush:

Anyway, a $40 card may solve the problem for you, without buying a $99 booster. :xmas:

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I've been wireless for about two years now. Linksys B right now, but getting G soon. It's easier just o be wireless, so both my roommates just get themselves wireless cards, and they're hooked for internet. I like it.... I can take the laptop into the bathroom, into the kitchen, the back patio - it's nice.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Wireless rocks.

It's even more fun with this:

[​IMG]

With Wifi and bluetooth on my ipaq h5555 I can connect to my computers, my neighbors computers, my phone (and use it as a modem) and whatever open network I can find.

There's nothin' like being able to surf CK5 forums from almost anyplace you happen to be. :saweet:

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wireless rocks... I've used a few different products so far. I see a couple guys like Netgear, but I've had wierd results with my netgear switch/access point at home. It worked fine with a cheap Orinico card for a long time, then worked fine with a Linksys card, and now works OK with my internal Intel card, but stops and refuses to pass data if I start hammering it (like large file copies to my back server).
    I do like that the Netgear can be programmed through telnet, though, that's one thing I'd like to see on the linksys access points. Very helpful if you have to update the "allowed" mac address list on 24 different access points...

At work, the Linsys access points combined with internal Intel cards have been functioning flawlessly for over a year now.

I took apart an old Linksys Wireless B wap a few weeks ago... All it appears to be is a wireless PC card plugged into a board with a network and power port. I've been playing with the thought of plugging that card into my laptop to see what kind of range I get, since it has the external antennas.

If your laptop supports internal wireless cards (Mini-PCI with an antenna wire), I highly recommend you get one and install it. It's even cheaper than the bulky external card (uses less power, for you battery-minded folks).
    I bought 10 of these for my work machines, and they've been great:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=677327

Ever since I switched over to an internal card, the difference in range has been huge. I picked up dozens of networks on my commute in with the internal card, but only about a dozen with the external card.

14. HarryH3

A guy in my office bought a new Toshiba with the internal wireless. He was picking up WAY more signals that I could with my Linksys PC Card. Once I changed over to the Netgear card, I was picking up everything that he was. :-)

However, (since you mentioned problems with a Netgear router) I did use a Netgear G router for a few days. About every 30 minutes it would stop providing access to DNS services. Every IP domain that I would try to ping would show up as going out to 1.0.0.0 :( I kept having to force an ipconfig/renew to get it to start working again. Unplugged the Netgear and put everything back onto the Linksys WTR54G and it's been solid as a rock.

15. HarryH3

Oh yeah, I'm surfing right now via the wireless net service at my hotel in Dallas. I love wireless! :cool1:

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

DEFINETLY. I have a DELL pocket pc, its great! Its so fast, and like you said, anywhere I go I can use it!!:grin:

17. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Ratch - when you say "external card" are you refering to the 2"x3" card that slides into the PCI slot? Gateway wanted an additional $99 for an internal card and I just couldn't see spending the money. Bear with me on this since I'm new to the wireless world. I really haven't had time to really play with it or educate myself, but once I do I'll probably give ya a shout for help tweaking it. I guess if all else fails I'll pull up the instruction manual. :p:

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, but this is a laptop, so you meant PC or PCMCIA slot, right :grin: ?

If Gateway wanted extra for an internal card, your machine is probably capable of it, and you can be in business with the $30 card I linked. If you're into it, unscrew and open some of the panels on the bottom of the machine, and look for one that has an empty slot about 1.5" long (looks a little like a memory dimm slot), and two wires with angled connectors not plugged into anything. The two wires will be the antenna.
    I had a Sony Vaio that I loved and would have kept another few years, but it didn't have a wireless slot. It's actually called a minipci port. Sad, that laptop kicked the pants off anything I've had since...

19. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

20. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    So Harry, who sells them? I would like to try one out. The faster the better :D