Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Imagine if the year was 1972

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Alright guys, I'm bored and just thought I'd put a post up for discussion. Now, I'd like to preface this by saying I am a true Chev owner and have visions of being buried in my Blazer :'). I would say that I'm like everyone on this board and will always be a Chev owner.

That said, here is the question. In 1972 it seemed to me to be a really unique year. I see it as a year that had alot of what most would consider the 'classic' 4x4's. Namely (1)Chev Blazer (2)Ford Bronco (3)International Scout (4)Land Rover, Series III, (4)Toyota Landcruiser FJ-40, (5)Jeep CJ-5,
    I've choosen 1972 just because after 72 the blazer changed, pre 72 the international was basically a box with wheels etc etc....So, my question is, regardless of the fact that your a true Chev owner now, what about in 1972. With an unlimited budget and the knowledge of resale vaule, and maintaince difficulty, what would you have bought 72.

For the guys alive in 72, maybe it was just another year for trucks, but I just think it would have been cool to have that many choices.

Just an idea for discussion.

MarcD

##IIRC Nissan Patrol sales finsihed in 1969 which is why they I didn't included them on the list

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the year was 1972 I'd have gone to the dealership and looked at the 72 Blazer, then bought the 66 Chevy Long box 4x4 that just came in on trade. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif New trucks are such a bad deal...and I really like the 60-66 era GM trucks.

Rene

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

ok ill /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif bite

this is a hard one but since this cant happen money is no object.
    I would want a blazer - bronco and cruiser hows that. or was the question witch one out of the above? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Go ahead and place an order on a 73 chevy 1 ton truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well knowing what I do now I think I would have bought a fully loaded Bronco. I have always liked EBs they hold up real well and have an awesome reasle value .
    Dont think I would have bought A Blazer,It would have prolly rusted away on me by now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Realistically, based on resale value I would have gotten a fully loaded Bronco or a FJ40.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

IF it was 1972, I'd go to the dealer and come home with this:

1972 Blazer and a 1972 Suburban

[​IMG]

....I couldn't resist! 1972 holds a special place in my heart.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

NICE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If it was 1972 and money wasent anything I would have bought a new vehical every 2 years from Chevrolet
    68 Camaro SS or Z28(prefer a SS)
    70 Chevelle SS LS1
    72 K5 or mabe a pickup
    Man I wish I lived then(Born in 85 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

dont you mean a 70 chevelle LS6?? Money no object thats where id be /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i was 7, and wondering-where the F**K did i bury my G.I.JOE? i probably would have chose the chevy because my dad worked there. i think the 72 is THE coolest body style,but i also like my 79. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'd go find a 70 Judge, Then find a 70 SS chevelle, then a 70GS, And a 70 Formula 400 Ram Air III Firebird, and a 70 442 and a 70 Hurst Olds and a 70 GTO with 455 and a 70 LS1 Vett and a 70 LS1 Camaro.

Then I would put them in a warehouse till the year 2000. Then I would sell a couple of them for $70k after buying most of them for under $2k.

70 was the muscle car peak. 72 would be a good year to snatch up some low mile bad A$$ Detroit steel.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Greg72 YOU KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. boggerless

wow ,when was the last time you saw a 70 hurst old?man in high school driving a 70's car was normal(not hot rod's though). hey GRIM-REAPER do you remember the chevy LAGUNA? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

grim reaper man nice tastes!!!!!! youd like my old boss, pantiac pett hes all GTO hes got a hole bunchhe use to have a 69 GTO judge rag top 5 speed. he had to sell it when he got devorsed, so he really dosent like her /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. boggerless

great picture, flash back(daddy he has more pop than i do).ALSO NOW I CAN SHOW THE NAY SAYERS, subs came with three doors. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't really remember when they were new but I do remember them. I remeber watching TV on sunday as Darrel Waltrip raced one in 74.

[​IMG]

Now Understand that I was born in Detroit and now live in Atlanta. I have seen a lot of cars around here that have gone back to earth up there. I have a Rust Free 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertable sitting in my Garage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

OOPS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif yea I ment LS6 NOT LS1

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a really cool setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a really cool setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That is an awsome setup!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif