Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Immature Train Horn Idea...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 11, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My roommate has a 98 Ram 1-ton w/ a cummins. Sweet truck, especially after he installed some airhorns :) Well I got the idea of trying to out do him by putting some K5LA train horns on my soon to be purchased K5. (http://www.users.qwest.net/~dumptruckin/forsale.htm) that link is for the horns. Now, I need ideas for mounting locations, as they r HUGE and compressor/tank ideas. Thanks, and by the way, I already know this is the most immature thing I have done a while so hang with me and I may get enough noise ordinance tickets to remove the horns.
    The horns are rated at 140dB at 3ft. with like 80-90 psi

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Clicky...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.users.qwest.net/~dumptruckin/forsale.htm> horns...</a>

How about on the roof...add some KC light covers to disguise them a bit though...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. fortcollinsram

Uhhh. Never mind fella, I just found out haw fricking hard this would be. I need like a shop compressor to run the SOBs. Oh well it was fun tho think about...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could go with a York onboard air set-up and a 5 gallon tank. It's a sweet trail addition anyways. Great for airing up tires and running air tools on the trail.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

To make them operate right so you get enough air go to a semi truck junk yard and get the air switch and handle from a trailer brake valve. Use the lever and everything and it works great. You need about 90 PSI to blow a 2 bell and about 120 PSI to blow a 4 bell.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

6. a guy had those at last years Mountain Mud Madness event. Frickin Loud!!! scared the crap of me when he hit em! yeah, you might get some complaints[​IMG]

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My Bud has one of the horns off a Fire Engine that they use when going through intersections. Ineed to talk him out of that and get my onboard going. [​IMG]

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There's some guys on Steph's Webpage&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

9. txoneway

txoneway Registered Member

i been scheming on this idea for a while. its nice to see some one else whos as immature as this 44 yr old kid

hell yeah, im drunk! what do ya think, im a stunt driver??

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

a guy that used to work here had a mickey-mouse set-up in his big dodge. he had a (i don't know capacities) medium to large compressor in the bed, not running. he'd refill the tank, or plug it in, or whatever, between driving.
    he ran air hose through the split window, to a ball valve. air hose out the other end through the firewall, or a floor drain plug. don't know exactly where he mounted the horns, but that's the easy part.
    you might not be able to permanently mount it everything like factory, but you could definitely screw around on wknds and crap.
    i remember he'd even open-close-OOOPPEEENN-close the valve, sounded like a freakin train was ontop of you.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I thought about getting me a train horn for mine, but I fear the cost of them. onboard air is something I plan to get at some point anyway, so thats a step in the right direction for me anyway. at worst, I plan to get a 2 bell or 4 bell kenworth horn on the roof of my truck. I miss not having a horn, and need to make up for it with decibles for a while.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My dad has horns off of a train car mover on his truck.He got a small compressor from JC Whitney and used a fire extinguisher bottle for a tank.Its only good for about 2 to 3 good blasts.Its the best for getting peoples attention when then they do something stupid.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

13. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

coult always use a 15lb C02 tank, that should last a while between fillups and you can air up and other things

14. fortcollinsram

See...I don't want a setup as <a target="_blank" href=http://trainweb.com/mdamtrak199/horns/truckrear.html>elaborate as this</a>....Those are the same horns I want...the K5LA's but I don't want to haul a tak that big around [​IMG] Do you think a couple "smaller" Tanks mounted in the rear run by a couple electric compressors would work?

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/13/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster

15. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

probably... I'd say try for the York compressor upgrade listed on the front page of CK5, and put a pair of long skinny tanks above your rear fenderwells or someplace like that.

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

16. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

oh my god whats with that dodge???? thats scary..

anyways years ago my brother had an air horn setup on his ford ranger.. before he sold it I was sure to snag the horns but thats all I got..

He was a cabinetmaker at the time and he would use a big CO2 bottle from work to power the horns..

Lately Ive dug the horns out of the boxes and Im wondering whats the best way to run a valve/button ?? Where do I get it and what is it called?

also-- whats the difference between a 2bell, 4bell, etc

Im probably going to mount mine underneath somewhere or in the engine compartment.. As for an air source, I will either get a smaller sized C02 tank or a 3000psi compressed air tank and strap it down in the bed...

mike

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the number of bells is just that... the number of horn bells that come out of it. the K5LA listed on that page is a 5 bell horn, because it has 5 trumpets. most semi's have a 2 bell horn, meaning they have 2 trumpets on them. most trains have a 3 bell setup, with 2 facing forward, and 1 facing back.

I think I;m going to go visit one of phoenix's biggest semi wrecking yards, and see if I can't get me a good sized, and decently priced set of horns for my suburban. while I'm at it, I'll see if I can pick up a semi compressor, and pop-off valve setup, and throw those in the truck too. I dunno where the best place to mount a giant air tank is on a suburban, but I suppose I'll find a spot for it soon enough... prolly do better to go for 2 `sausage tanks' as opposed to 1 giant tank.

-Rich

18. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I once knew a guy that had some lardge boat horns mounted on his chevy diesel truck. Don't feel bad, he needed a big tank in the back just to power the horns (with compressor.) His horns where almost 9ft long. Yes it was an eyesore, but he could "blow" anything off the road. GOPHERKILLER