Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Immigrants in America Today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1-ton, Sep 4, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a conversation with two young ladies that where, somewhat, recent immigrants, and whom had recently became American citizens. I was talking to them about careers, here in America vs. other countries, which we where pursuing in College, and while I was talking to them they kept saying the phrase, "in my country" (i.e. the country they where originally born in). I said to them, "If you are American citizens, then isn't this your country?" and they replied, "Oh, you know what I mean." I thought to myself "yea, I know what you mean."

The problem here in America today is that we have too many immigrants that are Americans in name only, but not in their hearts. What is going to happen to an America that has no loyal citizenry?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what will happen in america? that is a good question, i think all u need do is whatch the news, it is only going to get worse.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Two types of immigrants in my odd view

1. Proud strangers in a strange land

2. Rats clinging to a worthless life

As always, the answer is less people, BAMN

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Can't sit here and whine, YOU (I) have to be the IDEAL American and lead by example. What will the youth of the nation have for models, whiney soccer moms with bullshit causes or a goddamn new age cowboy?

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i hear u loud & clear, & i try to do my part

not whining, i just don't believe there are enough decent people that give a crap left that could show the masses what is right.

at least not here in memphis

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a conversation with two young ladies that where, somewhat, recent immigrants, and whom had recently became American citizens. I was talking to them about careers, here in America vs. other countries, which we where pursuing in College, and while I was talking to them they kept saying the phrase, "in my country" (i.e. the country they where originally born in). I said to them, "If you are American citizens, then isn't this your country?" and they replied, "Oh, you know what I mean." I thought to myself "yea, I know what you mean."

The problem here in America today is that we have too many immigrants that are Americans in name only, but not in their hearts. What is going to happen to an America that has no loyal citizenry?

[/ QUOTE ]

They obviously cared enough about the USA to become citizens, which usually revokes their previous citzenship. I don't think anyone should automatically have to turn their back on their past and their roots to be considered a 'good' immigrant. They were speaking English weren't they? They did just become citizens and are pursuing careers aren't they?

I think you're reading too much into their comment about "The old country". That is very common, mostly because that is their only frame of reference when it comes to past experiences.

Rene

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a question on that...for young people, what the heck is the point of losing your native citizenship? You get nothing here because you are a US citizen at that age that I can think of, except voting.

I know illegal immigrants that have credit cards, had kids in a US hospital, and are in the process of buying a house...we'd like to stop terrorism, but if you can do all of that and not get caught, somethings wrong here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just find it odd that you can have great credit, have a US address, buy a house, and no one bothers to check your citizenship!

Don't worry, our culture will corrupt the next generation just like it has since the beginning. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They obviously cared enough about the USA to become citizens, which usually revokes their previous citzenship. I don't think anyone should automatically have to turn their back on their past and their roots to be considered a 'good' immigrant. They were speaking English weren't they? They did just become citizens and are pursuing careers aren't they?

I think you're reading too much into their comment about "The old country". That is very common, mostly because that is their only frame of reference when it comes to past experiences.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone turned there backs on the "old country" we wouldn't have chinese food, mexican food, italian food, hotdogs,indian food, etc. U.S. is all about immigration folks.

9. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Jakeslim has an excellent point. On another related topic to his post, hot dog buns..now thats American genious!(They used to be served sans the bun) Anyhow, for the longest time while in the military i'd say 'back home'...even though i'd been gone for years, mostly here in Cali...don't nit pick a new American citizen that says 'in my country', they're essentially talking about thier birthplace.
    There are so many illegals in the US it sickens me...and there is nothing local law enforcement will do cuz they take care of crimes-and try to protect the rights of the citizens. So, unless theres an immigration office nearby (usually the states bordering Mexico/Canada) they let em go. There is a right way to enter our great country-and a wrong way, and the #'s entering are so overwhelming the gov't can only stop a few. My g/f is born/bred in the US but her parents legally immigrated here from Mexico, and she agrees....come in right, or don't come at all. Personally I wish the Federal gov't would hold the states liable for the illegals in their state...maybe running across the border wouldn't be such a good idea if they were actually punished. (rather the being sent home to repeat the process) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

pssst, NEWSFLASH! 99% of us are immigrant descendents.

there are too many illegals here though, the town i live in is estimated to be 45-55% Mexican. why an estimation? cuz there's too many illegals!

i have a solution to the illegals, does anyone want to help me invest in some train cars?

11. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Actually, my home town ..not too far from Elkhart is apparently full of illegals too.

I think a lot of the responsibility lies with employers. Sure, the immigrants may be doing some of the work we don't want to do-but guess what, if the job was available for someone to clean a friggin hotel room before the illegals showed up, and someone took it....why is the job now occupied by an illegal? I know in NW indiana, the job market has just plain sucked the last few yrs. Is cheap labor the cause? I dunno, but all I know is we have illegal immigrants all over the country collecting a paycheck that a legal citizen once had. I don't care about migrant workers picking oranges...migrants have a work visa, which allows them to LEGALLY enter and work...big difference.

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the U.S. government COULD stop illegal immigration....if they wanted to. There is a recognized source of
    cheap labor that does assist farming, food and hotel work. If you truly believe that any legal american
    can't find a low paying field(farm) job, or a job cleaning hotels, or washing dishes..........Mcdonalds
    is always hiring or any other fastfood joint. BUT, most people see shame in such jobs and "could never"
    work for "pennies"...that is the root cause of unemployment. Also, if you live in a city/county/state/ that is
    economically challenged, relocate. That is what migration is all about, survival.

I agree that some americans are willing to work these jobs, but I would be hard pressed to believe that if all
    illegal immigrants(russian, japanese, chinese, mexican,german, canadian,cuban,english,australion, italian, turkish, etc) were "trained" out, that unemployment would be solved!

I do not support illegal status in the U.S., lets get that straight, but if our government recognizes the labor
    contribution in our country, then steps should be taken to publically recognize it so that we do not continue with
    the concept that "this is what drives unemployment" theory.

If any unemployed american wanted a job, move to a far away place, leave your family behind, work for below minimum wage
    and send money back to your family......sound familiar? Our society(U.S) rewards those who are willing to sacrifice more than the next. It is what our country was built on. If the next guy/girl(us citizen or illegal) will work longer hours for less that you, guess what, you can't blame the business owner for hiring that person, its the american way. Its what makes america strong, rewarding those willing to work harder than the next. Although this is an example at the lowest job level, it is a foundation that is present all the way up the job ladder.

Illegal immigration HAS always been a part of this nations drive. Sure many of your ancestors entered legally, but I'd bet that some of them were illegal as well no matter what your ancestry is.

Also, there are some great EDUCATED points above for either side and its GOOD to see that. Hopefully my comments are respected as I respect yours! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

(please excuse any spelling errors)

jakeslim /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pssst, NEWSFLASH! 99% of us are immigrant descendents.

there are too many illegals here though, the town i live in is estimated to be 45-55% Mexican. why an estimation? cuz there's too many illegals!

i have a solution to the illegals, does anyone want to help me invest in some train cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: Newsflash

The difference is my ancestors, yours too, assimilated.

Without assimilation and immersion into our Western Civilization culture, one is led to the many native faction communuities, ie., Little Tokyo, Little Havanna, or Oxnard CA. which is basically Mexico.

Look, I've read many books on this stuff, P.M. if you want some titles. What happens to any nation that is radically pluralistic?

It falls apart. Then it is conquered by an alien nation that is monoethnic and cohesive.

Hope I made your day. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then it is conquered by an alien nation that is monoethnic and cohesive.

Hope I made your day. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

monoethnic is weak. The U.S. was basically "built" overnight when
    compared to other great powers in historical timeline terms. We did
    this through an influx of migration which included inventors, genious minds,
    creators and thinkers. If anything, this shows us that "monoethnic" is hardly
    the way to go. Assimilation? Absolutely! Losing touch with ancestry...weak. It
    keeps this country rich!

15. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I wasn't trying to place blame on migrant workers for the unemployment rate in the US. I know the Chicago area took a huge hit from the steel mill closures (and similiarly in Pennsilvania). Auto manufacturing is another big business thats taken a hit too. A lot of maufacture has gone overseas, because its cheaper. I can't blame the companys too much for trying to save money, but I don't know if we th e consumer are seeing any savings. The prices aren't going down, thats for sure.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't blame the companys too much for trying to save money, but I don't know if we th e consumer are seeing any savings.

[/ QUOTE ]

We the consumer are the problem. If we didn't shop at places like wal-mart, and stay at the cheapest hotels, and want the cheapest groceries or cars, then illegal immigrants wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

As long as we effectively boycott stores with higher prices, the one that can get you the stuff cheapest, regardless of how they accomplish it, will be the one you go to. Likewise with all goods.

None of us are willing to pay the price for keeping working person wages high.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't blame the companys too much for trying to save money, but I don't know if we th e consumer are seeing any savings.

[/ QUOTE ]

We the consumer are the problem. If we didn't shop at places like wal-mart, and stay at the cheapest hotels, and want the cheapest groceries or cars, then illegal immigrants wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

As long as we effectively boycott stores with higher prices, the one that can get you the stuff cheapest, regardless of how they accomplish it, will be the one you go to. Likewise with all goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

:cough:unions:cough:

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and the hammer hits the nail /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif The gov know this. Do you really think its impossible to
    close a border....seriously. We can take over a country in a matter of weeks...we can close a border.
    Believe me, its allowed by oversight, looking the otherway etc. We could not afford to eat out if the
    dishwashers were making $12 an hour, and on the flip side, most of us would not wash dishes for a career
    for $5 an hour(or less if under the table). The border patrol serves as a filter of sort, but not a blockage.

People who have less are willing to give more. A great example is the truckers in the philipines who are now
    protesting for their country to let them back into Iraq. They are willing to try for a better life at the face
    of death!

19. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A great example is the truckers in the philipines who are now
    protesting for their country to let them back into Iraq. They are willing to try for a better life at the face
    of death!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what, i've been around the world and the Philipinos are everywhere! China, Middle east...hey, i'm all for making a better life for yourself...theres also a legal way to go about it.

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

ASSIMILATE OR GET THE HELL OUT.