Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impact gun on flexplate bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, May 30, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So, this weekend has been fun, I had to take the TH 400 out of my tow rig to replace the flexplate, which was totally unexpected considering I wanted to go get my trailer next weekend without issues.

Anyway, I got four out of the six flexplate bolts out but these last two are driving me nuts. I've tried heating them with MAAP gas, sockets, breaker bars, and even an impact tool that you strike with a hammer. I've swung the hammer until I can't even hold it up anymore and these bolts won't budge.

I don't have an air compressor here because I took it back to my dad's house so he could use it. I could make the 2 hour trip there and back to get it, but should I really bust out the IR 2135TI for these flexplate bolts?

If I completely destroy the heads, what option do I really have to get these bolts out?

Somehow a reman crank kit wasn't exactly what I had in mind for this weekend's project. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

If you didn't already destroy the bolt heads, I think an impact can do the job. You don't really have much of an option because the bolts gotta come out. Good luck

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got em out!!

I heated the snot out of them with the MAAP gas and just used a 6 point socket and a 3/8" ratchet.

Gotta love the 1 piece rear main seal, easy to change when you've got the trans out. I've got a brand new Fel-Pro teflon one I'm putting in.

I wussed out, I wasn't about to put my impact on those bolts, it'd destroy them!

Ahh, the joys of working on your own rig.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how'd that messed up one come out? Was it one of the two?

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Happy to hear that, it's definatly a good feeling when stuff un-f**ks itself /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've tried heating them with MAAP gas, sockets, breaker bars, and even an impact tool that you strike with a hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me you whacked your flywheel with a hammer? If you have, you've most likely already trashed your thrust bearing on #3 main... NEVER whack your crank with ANYTHING... this is why you need a tool to install your balancer.

Well... there's my .02. You can call me if you want... we can chat.

-Dan

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No. An impact driver is a rotary type tool that you can use to remove stuck bolts. It doesn't apply force in the forward and back direction, it simply turns the force of you hitting it with a hammer into rotary motion to free a frozen bolt.

I ended up getting it out with just a 6 point socket and ratchet anyway. I know better than to beat on a crankshaft with a hammer, I work at an auto parts store and have educated many folks in the proper manner to install a balancer.

I'm not messing with the balancer anyway, just getting my TH 400 put back in.

This is the first time I've ever put a trans back in by myself, and I will say that it really sucked. Even more so than when you've got a buddy to give you a hand. Luckily it's in and bolted now and I'm going to eat some dinner and then go back outside and hook up all the odds and ends and button it up.

I'm gonna post up some pics of my flexplate, too. It was broken outward from the center, and once I pulled on it after the trans was out, I removed all but the centersection without removing any bolts! Then I took the 6 bolts out and pried what was left off with a screwdriver. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yet another reason I can't stand automatics, but I suppose I should have replaced the flexplate when I did the tranny two years ago.

Either way by tonight my tow rig should be up and running after sitting for a year and a half. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    how'd that messed up one come out? Was it one of the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of them were messed up, both of the two I couldn't get out. I rounded them off two years ago trying to get the flexplate off to replace the rear main seal when I put the trans in. GM was stupid and used bolts that are 7/16-20 with 14MM heads!! So, a couple years ago I'd used a 5/8" socket on them (because typically a 7/16" bolt will have a 5/8" head) and I damaged the heads of them.

Luckily heat solves everything and they came right out with the proper 14MM 6 point socket and ratchet once I got them broke loose with the heat.

The ones I replaced them with have regular american hex heads and I used locktite on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well put the impact tool on your hand, then have someone hit it with a hammer. Believe me, its still pushing inward. Sure it ratchets too but the idea that smacking something witha hammer won't push in on it is a little naive to say the least. Definetally deadens the blow, but enough? not sure really. Ask any old redneck, the way you set crank lash is to smack the crank with a hammer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Yeah well try installing an SM465 by yourself, on a lifted truck /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, it's supposed to push inward, which is the entire idea when you've got a bolt as messed up as mine was.

I dont' think using an impact driver on a crankshaft is unacceptable. It's not going to push that hard on it.

Either way I got the bolts out. I was really worried for a while, and for good reason. There wasn't much left for the socket to grab onto.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wonder if someone put red loctite on them?

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know one thing--NEVER use an impact gun to tighten those bolts---
    dont ask me how I know! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif--I found out cranks strip their threads pretty easy the hard way! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I hate those stupid bolts with their 11/16 head,thats only about 1/8 inch thick--easy to booger up!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't use an impact gun to tighten bolts like that anyway.

If they had 11/16" heads I probably wouldn't have damaged them in the removal process. The stock ones had 14mm metric heads and 7/16-20 american thread! How stupid is that?

The new ones have blue locktite on them, and are torqued to spec. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif In fact the trans is all back in and besides needing a set of plugs, my tow rig is up and running again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't use an impact to tighten anything except lug nuts personally. Sure there are lots of things you could but I much prefer to feel whats going on. Slows all progress but oh well.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a pretty decent air ratchet that helps for spinning bolts in.