Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impact post in Tool shed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Merlin03, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Merlin03

Merlin03 Registered Member

Hi all, Let me start by saying that I have a personal vested interest in Ingersoll Rand products, so I am not going to pretend not to and try to sell you on their products. However, I came across the following statement in a thread about the 2135Ti in the Tool Shed forum and just wanted to offer up some knowledge on the subject and correct some information that was stated.
    This statement is way off, there are many, many factories in China that produce air tools, (a lot of it being pure junk) IR owns a factory there that does produce some of their products, however, the Ti line of impacts is not made there, they are made in Athens, PA. There are several other bits of information within that post that I do not believe are true, however, I do not want to come across as I am bashing other manufacturers. I would have posted this in that forum, but I do not have access to it, if a member wants to paste this into the thread comparing the 2135TI to the Nitro Cat, feel free. Nice forum, BTW.
    Merlin03

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I missed that post, I can tell you IR guns are made in PA, I've known a few people that work there and my uncle sells(or used to, not sure) some supplies tot hem.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't look now but there's a MODERATOR standing behind you and he's loaded for bear! Adios!

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

heh... im sorry... taiwan... not china... i sell ir impacts in my truck, and fully believe that the 2135 ti is an awesome gun... just doesnt hammer as hard as i would personally prefer... they might make the 2135ti and the other ti's in PA, and thats all fine and dandy... but they arent the be all, end all to impacts...

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a nice snap off gun and a ir thunder gun. i like both for there good points and bad. but these days the thunder gun get the most use. snap off is backup gun.

i love the fact that the thunder can snap off 14mm studs by just holding the triger at 125 psi for 15-20 seconds. saves me from getting out the breaker bar.

we just got one of your newest nitrogen convertors at work. we will be using it for tires and our snap off smoke tester .

and both athens pa plant and painted post ny plants are 20 min away from me. and my grand father use to run over head crain pouring hot steel at the older foundry back in the day at painted post. i just have had better luck and performance with ir. 231 and thunder gun. thay rock.

6. Merlin03

I was as upfront as possible and am not trashing other product just trying to correct some misinformation, hopefully the moderators are not against that.

7. Merlin03

It's great that you have found a gun that works for you, I'm just trying to correct some information that you are putting out that is not quite correct. Not Taiwan either.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Thanks Merlin for correcting any misleading information. That way if anyone is searching for information at least the results will be correct.

Also, I don't think that anyone is bashing you or anything like that. You should stick around. CK5 is a great place and you would surely make a few friend here.

9. Merlin03

Thanks for the warm welcome.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

No problem.

I own 2 IR impacts. The thundergun and a Cornwell that is actually an IR (As far as I can tell at least)

The Cornwell piece is less than impressive at times but it is quiet compared to the Thundergun.

Also own the Air wrench that came with the thundergun. I think I have used it 3 times. I bet if I was a professionel mechanic or had a bigger compressor I would use it more often

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 2135Qti and my mac 3/8" gun(IR 3/8" composite gun in red clothes) are my best friends.

Never used a Snap-On 1/2" personally, but have had guys borrow my 2135 in place of their Snap-On 1/2"...

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wasn't bashing you personally. We from time to time get spam posts on here. They sign up, spam and get evicted.
    The start of your post looked like it was going to turn into a spam thread. My bad, I appolagize sincerely.
    As your first posts here were about 'sales' and tool talk I just figured.....wrongly!:doah:
    I use IR anyway so I'm already sold on it!:D

13. Merlin03

Thanks.
    Reading through some of the other posts here, it looks like IR tools have a great following, not much that I could say to improve on that. Merlin03

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use an IR Titanium Thunder gun and love it, the thing has big brass balls.

Snap-On makes nice guns, my 3/8" impact is a Snap-On.

I really don't see that big of a difference between most higher dollar guns. If it loosens and tightens what I take apart, I'm happy. I just don't really see much of a difference from one to the next besides power.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

weight. Use it everyday, all day, you will care.

16. Confedneck79K30

used a 6500 hp all day for 3 years, no complaints against weight, and i also own an original composite ir 2131 i think and its 3/8 counterpart...

17. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

1r vs. the competion

I used to use my dad's set of snap on impacts when I wrenched in his 4x4 shop. I belive the 3/8" was m31 and its 1/2" counterpart. I then worked for a marine company that suppiled all your tools and they had a 2135ti. It seemed to be able to handle everything I threw at it. So when It came time for me to purchase tools for my new job at 4 wheel parts I picked up a 2135ti 1/2" and a 2115ti 3/8" for about 350 total shipped brand new off ebay. Now dont get me wrong I like snap on, heck I have a $700 truck bill with them. I just couldnt justfi the extra cash on a set of their impacts when the Ir did just fine for the 6mo of continuos use that I put it through working for the marine company. It also helped that when I looked in every techs toolbox there was an ir impact surrounded by snap on, bluepoint, matco and mac airtols. Just my .02

Cory

18. Confedneck79K30

good deal on those impacts for sure!