Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

impact wrenchs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bhintz, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

has any used or heard of chicago electric tools found a electric impact wrench http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45252 looking at getting an impact and dont have money for air tools so electric i think is going to be the choice, and if anybody knows any better choices please post up

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

all of their tools are like the rejects that have been refurbished. Ive had a few problems with some things from them, but they have always given me a trade or money back. Personally, I would never buy one of those electric impacts. But then again i also have not used one of those. I'm sure it would do good for the weekend mechanic though. But why not save that money for an air compressor and get air tools to simplify things? just a thought

NITRO

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i haven't used THAT one, but i have used an electric impact, they have no where near the power of an air impact. haven't had and problems with chicago tools, yet

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

all my air stuff is ingersol-rand. never tried an electric one. ive seen a lot of cheap harbor freight guns and ratchets break where my IR was just fine doin the same stuff. i dunno, its personal preference.
    i havent tried the new titanium IR impact but i want one really bad 30% quieter and like 1000ft/lbs of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Electric impacts are handy if you juat want to turn the nuts or bolts of fast, but you have to break em with arm power Handy for carpentry stuff too, like decks and whatnot

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i havent tried the new titanium IR impact but i want one really bad 30% quieter and like 1000ft/lbs of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it and it absolutely puts anything else I've used to shame.

All of my air tools are IR except my air hammer which is Chicago Pneumatics. All are very high quality tools IMO.

If you're going to buy IR, go for "Super Duty" or "Ultra Duty" tools only. Might as well have the best money can buy.

Be prepared though, they ain't cheap, but they're well worth it IMO.

E-Bay is the place for that kinda stuff.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I had (still have it for rainy days and waking up the neighbours) the IR "ThunderGun" and it is a bad ass gun but LOUD as f**k and a bit heavy. I just bought the IR 1/2" 2135Ti a couple weeks ago and LOVE it! It will take EVERYTHING off fast and it is light and so much easier on the ears than my Thundergun was.
    All my airtools are IR
    -2 1/2" impacts
    -1 3/8" impact
    -1 3/8" rachet
    -2 air hammers
    -1 shear
    -1 nibbler

Only thing I have every had to warranty was one of the air hammers...turn out my roommate cranked up the pressure on my compressor to 150psi and used it and jacked it up (its only rated for like 90psi).

ONly way to go IMO

Chris