Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impending move: ship truck and boat 1800 miles or drive the rig?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Jan 20, 2003.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I'm about to move back to Colorado from NY but I can't decide what to do.
    I would have to pull a single axle 23 foot boat with my Jimmy for almost 2000 miles!
    Driveline vibs aside, would you guys do it???
    So far I've gotten transport quotes for the Jimmy at around 800 and the boat for 1600. That's $2400!!!
    I figure, without the boat I'd need about $350 in gas alone.
    Suggestions!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I decided to drive my '83 K5 cross country, besides lodging, food and gas, it cost me $500 to have the 208 rebuilt in NC, and $1500 to have the 700R4 rebuilt in Arizona /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you have faith in your parts, theres no reason to NOT drive them, but if you aren't quite sure, theres nothing worse than being on the road and having something major fail, because there is nothing you can do about it, and no time to fix it yourself.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would do it no problem. I have done some long distance towing in my K5. I tow my boat (18 foot 2500 lbs single axle trailer) to the coast and back every summer (1400 miles). It goes just fine
    Just make sure your rig is in good condition and any mechanical issues are throughly checked out and taken care of. Change all the fluids, Make sure the cooling system is in good shape, Have spare tires for truck and trailer and lube the bearings. Have the boat properly loaded/centered on the trailer and lighten it up as much as possible.
    But if you dont trust your rig to make the trip it might be better to have it transported.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Drive it...you don't have a 700R-4 to worry about. Like Thunder said check all the fluids and make sure you have tools and spare tires for the truck and the trailer.

Rene

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whoops. I shoulda looked at his specs! 465, drive it!

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

"Just make sure your rig is in good condition and any mechanical issues are throughly checked out and taken care of"

Well, see, there's the kicker. I DO have a driveline vibration I can't seem to work out. Truck has a strange lift, but I just got a brand new driveshaft for the rear to eliminate the conversion u-joint. No vibs for 200 miles than they started again. Don't know if it's in the tranny, tcase, or what. Plus I'm sure my driveline angles aren't perfect.
    With all that would you still go for it???

7. tRustyK5

Bring a few spare U-joints...they're easy to change. Just check em every time you fuel up and if it looks like a joint is on it's way out swap a new one in.

I'd guess you're not leaving tomorrow though so it might just be better to fix the vibe before you leave. The angle that the upper and lower joint operate at should be close to equal. I tipped my pinion upwards towards the t-case a bit from that and have no vibes...

Have you dropped the T-case down any?

rene

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

How did you tip it? If you shimed it where you get 'em and how did you measure how much??
    In my case I'd have to tip the dif DOWN!!!
    ???

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd look at the spring pack and see what the wedges look like...ya might be able to just take it out..maybe...just a thought...how soon are ya gonna be makin' the trip?

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I drove my travel trailer and pickup 1800 miles from AB to MO no problem, then I went back a few months later and drove the K5 back in 2 days. Should be no problem

11. tRustyK5

Just try for equal operating angles by dropping the t-case down and adjusting the diff to suit. I got a selection of shims from a local spring shop, they're not that spendy.

Rene

12. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

There are wedges there already??

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

One thing I would do is Take the K5 to a good offroad
    shop pay them to tell you what needs to be done to fix the vibration then fix it your self. And always check double check
    and triple check everything on the K5 and you should be ok.
    I tell you nothing is worse tan being broke down on the highway no parts and K5's dont fit very well on a U-Haul trailer.
    good luck,
    Bo

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

never heard of an offroad shop, thats a new one, interesting

i gonna have to make same type of decision when i decide to buy a K5 sometime this year across the country most likely,. either go and drive back or ship,,
    like beforementioned Id make sure the 5 is mechanically sound and not using or losing any fluids or doing anything unusual as far as its running state

when you plan on doing the trip and what highways across the midewest you gonna be taking probably ?

good luck

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm asking if there is some sorta wedge in there already...since it's an 87, the 12B was swapped in...some pieces may have been installed/reinstalled from one truck to another unnecessarily...I'm understanding that the yoke is pointed up at a more extreme angle than seems appropriate...if the truck has no lift, the yoke would be more or less parallel to the ground...

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm moving from CA to NH soon.....I've got to move TWO Blazers..... Why don't we figure out a way to rent a big trailer for ALL of them and split the cost!!!????

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

My 87 use to pull a 26' rv from Indiana over the mountains to NC shores every summer till we got the new pickup. Shouldn't be to bad one way if you do the maintance/tune-ups before you leave /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jeeze, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

I'm moving my K5 from Cali to Michigan in March/April......

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool!

How many trucks do you need to move....? Sounds like we'll have a "full load" at this rate!!!

20. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

"The happiest day in a boat owner's life is the day he sells it." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif