Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Imporant safety concern here

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by not4show, Jul 17, 2001.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

The weirdest thing happened today. When I was driving home today, going about 30-35 mhp, I hit a bump in the road and my truck when crazy! Right after I hit it the whole truck started shaking and wobbling, like a tire was about to come off. I immediately stopped to see what was coming off or apart on my truck, but after a good looking over everything seemed to look ok. So, I slowly started off, and made my way back home and have not driven it since. I’m somewhat afraid to drive it now, especially at a much higher speed. If anyone can give me some insight on this problem I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

check you ball joints, jack up each wheel seperately. make sure the wheels are blockes so it doesn't roll. Try to shake each front wheel in any direction. There should be no movement. Hope this helps.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing about two months ago. I replaced my wheel bearings (they were bad) and at the same time I replaced all of the tierods and the drag link. It took care of my
    problem. Just remember to get it aligned after you do it
    If you do

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> My friend had the same thing happen, he turned right one day and his driver side front tire took a left and went into a yard......... He snapped off some studs ! Scarey !!!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

5. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Tomorrow, first thing, I will check the ball joints. If that seems ok, and it turns out to be the wheel bearings, then how do you change those? (Please forgive my ignorance, but I’ve never torn a front axle apart before).

6. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

i had the same thing happen on my old 79 chevy 2 wheel drive truck. i would suggest checking the frame right around the steering gear box. i took mine off and found approximately 40 small cracks.....mostly hidden by the box. get it fix and have a frame brace welded into the frame. if i was you i would check this along with all the other suggestions. even if your ball joints are bad that doesnt mean your frame isnt cracked. hope you find the problem and that its a cheap fix. good luck...later

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I drove my truck back from Hollister like that .It turns out that one of the joints on my drag link is bent and loose in the socket part of the joint.My tie rod is also bent so my toe isnt set right making things worse.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i just had this happen to mine about a month ago i put in new wheel bearings and it has not done it since

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, I'd have to concur with the wheel bearing/balljoint thoughts, but also, definately check your frame out at the steering box.
    If it is the wheel bearing, or you have to take it apart (i.e. to do the balljoints), make sure you have a torque wrench to put it back together right (and the $15 spanner socket). The bearing must be preloaded a certain way, or it will self destruct... Someone posted a situation a few weeks ago about a wheel bearing that fused itself to their hub from overheating (I forget the cause of it).
    I just did my drivers side balljoints and took some photos for a simple "write-up" (they never seem to come out right...). If you can wait a couple days, I'll send you the link/photos. I took a lot of pictures of the wheel bearing apart/together, knuckle, joints, tools required, etc.

Also, pick up a Haynes manual for the bearing preload precedure, unless someone can scan and email it to you?

P.s., I don't think this is a probable cause, but check out all your spring bushings for wear/existence, the perches and u-bolts for cracks or looseness (mine were hangin completely loose when I bought my truck).

Let us know what happens!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Also the condition of the tires. Mine used to this on the old tires, they were wore down something fierce. Hit a bump, it would start wobbling, tap the brakes and it would go away.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

11. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah ? Mine shakes like the dickens in the rear when i hit a bump but I think its because I aint gots no shocks back there yet!!!!!!!!!!!!Could this be a problem?Also does anyone know of a good anti-axle wrap system besides a ladder/traction bar hanging down low to catch all the trail critters?

12. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Ok, I checked for play in the ball joints and they are ok. I checked the front u-bolts, they are ok. However, the rear u-bolts did tighten up some. I checked for cracks in the frame around the steering box; did not see any. However, about two weeks ago, I put a steering block on the axle to correct the drag link angle due to the lift. So, I checked the bolts on top of the steering knuckle and yes, they really needed to be retightened. I have not been able to check the wheel bearings yet, but could have the loose bolts on top of the knuckle caused the wobbling and shaking?

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

If all else fails readjust the toe-in of your tires. My truck did it when I switched from the Swampers (bias ply) to my radial winter tires and forgot to readjust the toe. The bias run at a different measurement then the radials. Also, my friends radial mud tires hit a certain wear amount and his truck started doing this too. They rebalanced the tires, rotated them, traded rims, tried everything but the final fix was a slight adjustment to the toe-in measurement. I believe he toed it out slightly more and it runs fine again.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>