Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

imporatnce of kickdown cable on TH350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by boots, Nov 20, 2002.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Was reading in one post about the "touchyness" of the 700R4 kickdown adjustment. How particular are the TH350's? Yeah I'm a realitive newbie to my own wrench flinging but trying to do it right, and I am mechanically inclined. I'll prove it to ya, my tool of choice is a 2 pound sldege head welded onto 2 feet of 1.25 solid cold rolled. I need to track down more hardware before hooking up the kickdown, can I get away without hooking it up?

2. unsane

unsane Guest

I dont know about the TH350, but on a 700R4 the fastest way to frizzle fry it is to NOT hook up the detent (or kickdown) cable. And yes I do know this from experience unfortunatley!! As far as the TH350 goes I would say get the cable and hhok it up. Try this link http://www.artcarr.com/faq.html#faq9

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

take what i say for a grain of salt.. but isnt the th350 a mechanical kickdown.. so if you do it manually.. ???? It should be ok... my th400 doesnt have it's kickdown hooked up... Blazers didnt come with th400's.. I never had a problem... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Geno

Geno Registered Member

You can get by without the cable hooked up. But you will miss the KICKDOWN when you put your FOOTDOWN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

700's dont have a kick down.....its a TV cable. Throttle valve. Its how the trany knows how and when to shift and how much line preasure to use. You will fry it with out it.

A TH350 just uses a kick down as was said so now you wont have a passing gear. I drove for 20k without one one one of my POS's

a 400 uses a switch.

6. swampthang1

swampthang1 Registered Member

I agree you will miss the power when you put your foot down and you will use more gas turning to increase speed also when it is installed take care of it do not over bend it It will break after time and the pump will push out all the fluid out of the broke detent cable and burn up your transmission It is alwats a good practice to check after a good day of trail riding. Down here there has been times we have needed to imprve a trail by finishing it mostly just backup and run over smaller trees this will for sure break the cable if it gets caught

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It does not have to be hooked up, I've been running mine for about a year without it.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

The kick down will help you out when your trying to pass on the freeway it kicks the trany down 1 gear to keep you in the power band. If not hooked up you will be opening the 4 barrel (if you have one) carb trying to compensate for the extra load on the engine. On the th350 the vacuum line must be hooked up to allow the trany to up shift.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

According to the trans shop that rebuilt my TH350 the kickdown cable also plays a part in regulating line pressure. Disconnect at your own risk.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like BS to me. Typical Tranny shop BS. That is true for a 700 R4 but not a TH350.
    I have rebuilt my TH350 and all the Down shift cable does is push a Valve to kick is down a gear if the RPM's are low enough. Line pressure is controled by the Modulator and that's vacuum operated and the Govornor wich is all mechanical.
    Only thing you will miss is down shift. Down shifting with the shift lever is not the best idea. Holding gear with it is fine under accleration. Down shift also helps in that but it's mostly the modulator. My down shift is unhooked and From a stop I can hold my foot to the floor and get 4k RPM shifts.

11. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

no big deal ont he tranny not kicking down, I'm one ofthem idiots who actually likes to shift gears, only reasobn I'm not running a manual trans is I'm running what I have and I have 2 th350s and no manuals so.... And the wife seldom hits passing gear in the truck so why bother with the blazer? Eventually I'll get it hooked up right now it's just one more thing to have to dink with and I don't feel like dinking anymore than I have to

thanks
    me