Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

important question about towing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Sep 21, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Alright im getting my 78 luv out of my parents way so ill be towning it a ways (to mountainexplorers place). My question is, inorder to tow a vehicle that has no tabs or current plates do i have to aquire a trip permit? And if so how do i get one and how much will it cost? Oh and im planning on just throwing the tow bar on the front of it and towing it whith my ford.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My question is, inorder to tow a vehicle that has no tabs or current plates do i have to aquire a trip permit?

[/ QUOTE ]

You better call up your local office of the state police or whatever they call it up there cause laws differ from state to state.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but here in CA, if it's flat towed, it's gotta be currently tagged and if it's on the trailer, it doesn't.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, that was what i was after, i think ill just be safe and stuff it on our utility trailer. Whith out a drive train the luv only tips the scales at 1800lbs.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ok but one question about stuffing the luv on our trailer. The box on it isnt quite long enough for the whole truck (its about 2-3' short) but the tounge on it is another roughly 6'. so if i strapped the luv down whith the back end of it hanging over the front part of the box, could i get ticketed for an unsafe load? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Side note to CA towing, you can flat tow a vehicle with a Green sticker. You just can't drive it on public roads except when crossing them @ 90*

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

In WA and OR I have flat towed many vehicles without current registration. Never been stopped and I have been passed by the police many times without even a second look. I have a set of towing lights rigged up to put on the back of the vehicle being towed and I am sure that makes most of the difference.

Heck at 1800# your LUV qualifies as a trailer in the state of Oregon /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anything under 1800# GVW does not require a title or registration (as a trailer).

For overhang, you are allowed up to 3' overhang behind your tail lights. If you have the truck tied down securely and dont over hang more than 3' you should be fine (you could probably get away with 4' if things look ok from behind).