Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impounded!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

One of my trucks got impounded! Technically it's not mine, I sold it to a "friend" last October. He's since fallen off the radar, and never registered it. I threatened all March and April to take my tags off, and did at the end of the month. The local PD sent me a letter the other day letting me know they had "my" truck in the impound.

Lovely.

2. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

OMG! He's such a dumb@$$! Good thing we don't hang out with him anymore.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So yea, next month there's gonna be an 87 K5 with some good parts on it at the police auction :)

350 with new heads, cam/lifters (comp cam 272H), TH400/NP205. No keys, but I've got a spare set still ;)

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

um.... you still own the truck...if you never sent in the release of liability showing him as the new owner,,, it all falls upon you... he might "own" it... but the state doesnt know that.... if you dont do something it will go to lien sale...
    is it worth getting from impound and holding onto for him? and then getting it back to him.. (if he pays all the fees and registers it first?)

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Since it is still in your name, can you go pick it up?

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

since it is legally his, and registered in his name, absolutely.

the only way the other guy can say anything about it is if he has a reciept for it,

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, the only receipt he has is the signed title. It's not worth it for me to sumbit lost title/registration paperwork, pay the tow fee, and storage fees. I've already been paid for the vehicle. I might try to get it back cheap at the auction and part it out, but I'm not spending the money and effort to claim it. Especially since I leave in 9 days.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

This guy used to be a good friend of mine, and since he met some new girl, he's totally ignored me and his other friends he used to have. I feel no obligation to help him out. He's military, so I've gotten the First Sergeant involved, but that's all I'm doing with trying to contact him or help him.

And with this state, vehicles are done through the treasurer's office. You can't just sign a title over, the vehicle has to be insured. Because obviously if you bought a vehicle you will drive it... Anyways, he's got a lot of back-fees to pay up. It's been "his" since October, and it's the buyer's responsibility to register within 30 days of a sale.

In hindsight, I should have drawn up a Bill of Sale for my records, but eh... we know how that goes. At that time he was a friend that I was selling my truck to.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And as one that has to deal with a lot of vehicles from Kansas, I can safely say that The State of Kansas is screwed up royally when it comes to vehicle registrations....................................

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

No ****. It's impossible to just transfer a title without getting tags or making it non-highway.

Edit: But the thing that gets my goat is how the title and tags are done through the treasurer. The "DMV" is not a "DMV" per se, but a treasury office.

11. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's messed up.

Say I wanted to buy a classic car from you and start the restoration immediately after the purchase. And say that restoration took a year. How does that work?

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Or you run a tag, it comes back to a different vehicle than what it is displayed on. Or, to run a personalized tag, you have to know what the county code (Kansas has this little stickers on the upper left corner of the plate with two letters signifying what county the car is registered in for those that don't know) is before you can run it. Well for those that don't know, those letters are all of what, 1.5" to maybe 2" high and to be able to see those, one pretty much has to ram the front of their vehicle into the rear of the other vehicle. Or, there's a load of them that don't even return, so to even check to see if it's stolen and/or registered, that means running the thing by VIN which is a gigantic pain in the ass.

I guess I could throw Texas into the mix also. Ran TX tags, come back to a vehicle that doesn't match what it is on, run it by VIN, tag on the vehicle comes back to that vehicle.....................................................:confused: :confused: :confused:

At least here in OK we're lucky, we only have about 3000 different tribal plates, along with the Wildlife Conservation tags. One usually has to use the force to run these. I was up in communications today and a guy on the road ran a tribal tag. One dispatcher has been there about two years, the other going on like 7. Neither of them knew how to run it....................:haha: :haha: :haha:

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, on my trip to Colorado I got pulled over because my tags didn't come up in the system. No biggie though, I had just registered the truck the week before.

ARAMP1: You'd end up having to pay penalties out the wazoo. You can fill out an affadavit stating the vehicle hasn't been driven on the road for the time period, but the system is still messed up.