Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impressed w/ my K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dannyd, Jan 2, 2002.

1. dannyd

dannyd Registered Member

I'm new to the forum here and I just wanted to share a little story about my holiday adventures with my Blazer. It's an '89 w/ 3.42's, crate 350 w/ 20k, and 31" AT's & rblt 700R4. Pretty clean Silverado edition. A police officer owned it and kept it very stock.
    Me and my wife planned a trip from LA (where we live) to Vegas for a few days, then all the way up to Yosemite for new years. There was insane traffic to Vegas, drive took over 10 hours. Then on the way to Yosemite, we had to go all the way around the park, at least a 5 hour detour, made worse by driving at night in snow, rain, and sleet - on icy mountain roads.
    This drive took us 18 consecutive hours, driving in shifts at about 25 - 35 mph. Through it all, no matter the road or traffic conditions, the Blazer performed awesome. Never overheated, always ready to go after a fill-up, or food break. Not one single problem. We were even able to fit all our gear behind the back seat in order to help someone who ran out of gas on the way to Yosemite. I really love this truck - so much space inside, power, on&off road capability, and style! To top it off, I think I got 3 compliments on the truck, from people who owned one in the past, wishing they'd kept it. My wife is always suprised at the comraderie between strangers over my K5.

I am glad that I installed a tranny cooler (B&M stacked plate), as well as put in new tranny mount and U-joints and a new radiator. I love working on it - it's my new hobby, fixing or improving the truck. I plan to keep it stock and drive it for a long, long time.

Just wanted to let you all know what an awesome rig I think the K5 is in both form and function.

-Dan

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

They are tops in this club too.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My wife is always suprised at the comraderie between strangers over my K5

<hr></blockquote>

Thats funny - last night I had a pizza delivered, and the guy kept me out in the cold while he went on about his jacked up Heep he used to have... wanted to know EVERYTHING about my Blazer! "That's a bad @ss truck dude!"

Anyhow, it is cool how folks will just open up to you since they used to have the same truck as you... [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

4. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i hope all your trips go as well. dont jinx yourself. whenever im fealing real good about my truck and everything is working right i try to knock on wood. thats usually when somthing brakes

5. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

this is a great story and i really enjoy reading about trips like that, there is so much breakage and repair on this forum, i have been treating my 77 like a fragile piece of glass, until yesterday that is, nothing broke, she handles like a lady, well mannered, i really love driving my blazer and i really love ck5 and all the help i have been given, thanks for the post :)

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took mine on a 2 week trip up the rockies. Tried every back-road I could find all the way up to Jasper.
    (wish I would have know Rene and the rest of you Canadians then!) After 4200 miles I am proud to say that not one thing acted up on the Blazer! Didn't change the oil at 3000 tho :) And we only stayed at a hotel 2 nights - the rest was eatin and camping out of the Blaze.

Awesome functionality out of these trucks.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

7. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

I took mine on a trip to Yellowstone this last fall. Although its only 8 hours 1 way from where I live...We drove it all around the park for 5 days with a 2 year old and a 6 year old and back....it has 125,000 miles got 17.5 mpg (going 65) and didnt have one problem with it..I would not hesitate to take it accross the country..Thats how much faith I have in it...Besides you can get parts anywhere if it does break...I would rather have my blazer break down then one of the new fangled trucks....that you have to be a engineer to work on...And the parts are outrageous....Thats why I dumped my 97 chev 4x4...

Thats just one of my success stories...I have always wanted a blazer....And Im not a bit sorry that I bought it...Glad you like yours and wish you continued good luck

8. dannyd

dannyd Registered Member

I agree that there is alot of stories about breakage on the site, but that's just because, people don't usually write until they have something go wrong. I've done alot of the work on my truck only after consulting this site. There is so much good knowledge here. I feel fortunate to be able to share stories about my truck on the site and I'm sure I'll be able to ask a few questions too.

Even though there are alot of complaints and rants about this part or that, just the fact that there is such a large group of people out there that are still using there Blazer as an everyday driver (like me) shows how durable the design is. Chevy small blocks are a beautiful, simple, and reliable design that have stood up to the test of time. The truck itself - well, a friend uses his daily driver w/ no mods to race around in the desert (at high speeds on a makeshift oval course that his 4x4 club makes). Then he drives it back home, with a trailer in tow!!! Only problems he mentions are the frame cracking by the steering box, and the hood latch sticking! That's amazing and is a testament to the design of the truck. He fixed the frame with some custom welding. Another guy has 220,000 mi on his daily driver - all original drivetrain - which he uses frequently for offroading and camping.

The one thing that I see as MOST important to any owner of a '91 or earlier Blazer - take care of all rust spots - Coroless or POR 15 are both good. That and regular maintenance and you'll be a very happy and proud owner of an awesome truck.

-Dan

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes! Its nice to see a post on how great you think The K5 is
    I'v always been amazed on how many people out there who really like the k5. It always makes me feel good when people come up out of the blue and start talking about blazers or 4x4s. Or offer to buy mine. But dont think I could sell it. It would be very hard to replace. Its in excelent cond and totally rust free.
    I really enjoy driving my Blazer So does my wife and teenage daughter
    I take long trips in my 89 K5 all the time. I would not hesitate to go right out and jump in it and drive across the country. Shoot, a weekend trip to grandmas house is 350 miles one way. The nearist shopping mall is a 300 mile round trip. We do that, there and back in a day all the time. I tow my boat all over the west also. On top of all that I wheel the heck out of it, often putting hundreds of offroad miles on it at a time.
    My K5 is holding up very well. Sure. I have to work on it. And am always putting somethimg on to improve it.
    But, it is a labor of love.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

10. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey thunder, I believe you when you say you live 350 miles to the nearest mall...I drive through elko all the time on my way to Vegas from Mountian Home on Hwy 55....I will look you up next time I drive through there..

.Have any of you guys used( por 15) for rust spots on the under carriage? whats the best way to apply

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Tom - ask this question as a seperate post. I too would like to know what the best way is to apply this to some minor spots underneath the truck. If you don't post it, I will....

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Chevy's are "da bomb" :D
    mom's pickup doesn't give us any problems at all, it's a 76. Parents have put in a nice bit of money at the shop, but it's worth it to have a truck that starts right up in any weather and can drive all day non stop without complaining...

79 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I had a cute little boy oooing and aahing over my K5 at the gas station over the summer. He musta been around knee high and was with his mom. He kept saying I like your truck when he went in and out to pay with his mom. Everyone I give rides to likes it, and that was with the old bad bed floor. I have neighbor whos a few years older than me thats mentally handicapped and he loves the crap out of it. I had to give him a ride home one day and he doesn't like loud noises but he liked it alot when I gunned the crap out of it after getting gas. I can imagine the reaction after I get my new quarter panel and paint on (almost done!).

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

90idaho...
    I get up your way sometimes too.A while back we went to Anderson Ranch res. In the Blazer . It was a great trip. Spent 4 days there camping, fishing, boating and exploring the mountains around there in the K5. Cool place! Went in the middle week and had the place mostly to ourselvs. I also go to CJ to catch catfish and try to catch a Sturgon when I hear they are biting.
    ......Check your PM.............

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins