Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impressed with Turbocity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mini_mull, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Just thought anyone in the market for these kind of products might want to know. I emailed Turbocity Sunday night, and they replied back before I even woke up Monday morning. Then when I replied back twice later that day they replied back within 1 hour both times. Now that's customer service. I even told him I wasn't planning on buying anything until next year. I know I haven't bought or returned anything yet, but I'm impressed so far. If anyone else has bought their products, or had any experience dealing with them please post up. If you want the whole set of emails and replies pm me and let me know. I didn't post them because I thought I might be breaking some privacy rules or something. BTW, I emailed cfm-tech at the same time, and they still haven't gotten back with me, to be fair, maybe it got lost in cyberspace or something, so I'm going to email them again to be sure. (update: apparently they've been having spam problems, so they get a free pass, see CFM's post below)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Any idea of horsepower numbers on a 350 with their 970-505 kit and Vortec heads?

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

skelly1, I don't have any idea. I'm planning a swap for a GMPP crate HT383 (listed at 340hp and 435ft.lbs torque) next year (if all goes well). This is the only hp related question I asked:

"What is the maximum hp/torque for a setup you would recommend using your throttle body with?"

This was their response:

"The max HP is 350-360 with the standard fuel pressure and programming. More is obtainable with modifications to the fuel regulator and lots of custom programming."

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

You buying that HT383 from Summit, how much? Does it come with the vortecs? What will you use for the intake manifold, headers, etc?

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure yet, if I buy it online it will probably be from Pace Performance (http://paceparts.com/) because they have helped me figure out all the extra stuff I'd need to do the swap and keep my TBI, but shipping is a killer so I'm going to check prices around in town, too, if I can save enough $ I might just pick one up local. Pace charges $4,189.95 for the engine (which is $100 more than summit), plus you need a TBI/vortec intake manifold, EGR hookup stuff, and a custom chip, etc. The HT383 does have vortec heads. The intake I'll use is a GMPP #12496821. I've heard edelbrock also makes an TBI/vortec intake, but I'm not sure it has smog provisions. I'll probably go with Thorley headers. I also plan to use the Turbocity package you mentioned, unless someone convinces me the Holley direct replacement would work better, but all the posts I've ever found on any board about it say it's a pain to install and not really a true "bolt-in" replacement. I know some people use the 454 TBI, but it requires some modifications, too. I've heard of some other guys on here swapping in the GM 350 HO which has vortec heads, too, but I'm not sure who has actually done it. The Pace performance tech mentioned the Goodwrench Caprice TBI with a different cam and some other mods as a less expensive alternative, but that would void the GM warranty right away, and had much less hp and torque and no vortec heads. Hope this answers your questions. If you have any more just ask. I haven't done the swap yet, but I've spent a lot of hours researching it, and I'm willing to share anything I've found, just keep in mind it's not proven info yet. Most of my plans are on my website, but I haven't updated them in awhile and have learned some new info so I'll be changing them soon. By the way I'd recommend buying a coloradoK5 membership, the other forums are useful and you can pm members you have questions for. Mines already more than paid for itself in info and parts I bought, but to each his/her own.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I havent dealt with turbocity, but I have dealt with cfm-tech recently. Overall, I am very impressed with the quality of their product and with their customer service. I ordered their tbi power package, and all of the perts were very well made, very clean and nice looking, and came with simple instructions. They also freed up considerable amounts of horsepower. It is definitely a seat of the pants power difference. As for emailing them, If I were you I would call them. I emaild them before I bought stuff and it took a few days for a reply. I called them, and I talked to a very nice and knowledgeable guy who helped me out a lot.Their prices arent too bad either. The tbi power package is a great power mod for not too much money.
    -Harrison

7. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I looked at your up grades planed. I purchased the Bow Tie level 3 trans, all the upgrades and the manual converter lock up switch. Good choice excelent Trans. I'm in the middle of installing a Dana 60 and 14 blt in to my 88 blazer. you've got a good plan. Lots of reserch. Ed

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

87BrnRsd, thanks for the info, and maybe I'll try calling cfm-tech tomorrow. I like email though. I don't know why companies offer it if they're not going to answer it. They should at least throw in a disclaimer saying you'd be better off calling. I know I'll at least be getting their gauge, since no one else offers it. BTW, did you have to adjust your thottle linkage when you put in their spacer?

pomai, thanks for the compliment, I always wonder if I'm the only one who checks out other members websites and pics. I just finished updating it, so it's more current now (added a possible D60).

Anybody ever dealt with Turbocity, bad/good? Come on, I know your out there.

9. CFM

CFM Newbie

Hey guys, Just want to give out a shout of thanks. We where told today about Colorado K5 and that a bunch of you guys/girls from this forum have been talking highly of our products.

I did a search and, wow, many threads with us in it. I picked this one (lucky draw? ) to let you know we do appreciate it.

As far as e-mail. Yes, we where very good about it until we got flooded with spam, viruses, etc, etc that no one can figure out to stop. It's 8:30PM (we close at 6:00) and I'm erasing e-mails that do not seem to be from customers. I started at 32,000 + emails (can you believe that) and am at just over 19,000. It is eating up all of our server space and making things difficult.
    Hopefully we'll be able to figure this out soon - it's really making life more difficult than it should be.

Anyway, We not sure of your 'handle' but your initials are RH, we want to thank you for pointing out this site and we want to thank everyone for their kind words.

I've taken a very quick look around and am impressed by what you guys are doing. Keep it up! :saweet:

- Scott

10. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Spam stinks, good luck getting things cleaned up. :frown1:

11. CFM

CFM Newbie

I'm down to 15k and change - and that's one e-mail address.

We spend more time on motors than computers, maybe we should change that. :p:

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Steve's (CK5 Admin) always looking for new vendors/advertisers. Hint! Hint! advertise on CK5
    Just a little shameless site promotion.

You have been getting a lot of free publicity here.:grin: From me and others. And we do tend to support the advertisers that help keep our site up. There has been some talk about a fuel injection forum that could use a sponsor.

To be honest I have dealt with both CFM Tech and Turbocity. Both have given me excelent customer service, Tech help, and have quality parts.. Keep up the good work.