Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Improper Alternator,battery,or ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mobyduck, Dec 28, 2006.

1. mobyduck

mobyduck Newbie

I bought an 86'K5 Loaded 305.5.0 to pull my 22ft.cabin cruiser,wasn't enough H.P.so I found an 76'Camero with a 350.5.7 w/57,000m.Switched motors,man what a difference!!!! Problem is,,Camero wasn't loaded and the alternater,I am assuming was smaller than original one that came on the K-5.Problem is ,, I was having the same problem before I switched motors.I cant leave the K-5 running with the lights on and/or the heater fan running for any legnth of time or it kills my battery. Amp gauge seems to be working properly. Put a new 900 ca.diehard battery in,, no change.It just will not put out a charge when idle.Idle is set proper. Thinking the alt. was changed and replaced with maybe a smaller one before I bought it.

Does anyone know what the proper amp alternator should be and what the proper cca battery should be for a 86'K5 loaded with a 350. 5.7 not a 305.5.0 ?Thanks,
    MobyDuck

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Doesn't matter what is supposed to be in there , upgrade . Get a police or tow package alternator from the timeframe your truck was made , and the biggest CCA battery that will fit .

Almost all the performance mail order shops have alternators too . Don't get a one wire though , get the 3 wire one .

3. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Take the alternator to one of the chain parts stores and have it tested. If it tests good then you have a wiring problem. If it tests bad, buy one... problem solved.