Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Improved braking with One Ton 14 Bolt vs. 12 Bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Dec 13, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey, you guys that did the swap, am verrrrrrrrry close to doing one, might be a one ton, might be a 3/4 ton, either way, the question is - did you notice an improvement in braking performance with the DRUM braked rearends? I figure the disks would, but on a direct swap basis, is it a noticeable improvement?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I am actually swapping in a 3/4 ton 14 bolt FF this Saturday, so I will post whatever comments I have after that! I will also be swapping in 3/4 ton front rotors and hubs, so that should also help bring her to a stop better...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I didn't notice a great change in everyday driving. But those drums are HUGE and have massive cooling fins so I don't think brake fade will be a problem. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did notice an improvement, not night and day, just a little touchier. Actually I suspect my proportioning valve may have gone south on my last brake job, the rear will actually lock up a little too easy. Harry had a good point about brake fade, I never really thought about it much but it stands to reason.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

tRustyK5, there isn't any gear lube inside your rear drums, is there? That will make drum brakes very grabby. I never have quite understood how having oil on the brake shoes makes them grab harder! [​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

Harry, when I did my brakes I also replaced the axle seals and wheel cylinders. I did forget the new copper washer for the front calipers so I had to bleed the brakes for quite awhile [​IMG]. My theory is that this may have pooched the proportioning valve, because the rears were very touchy after that. Anyone know how to test if a proportioning valve is working properly?

Rene

[​IMG]

7. HarryH3

Are you certain that you got ALL the air out of the front brake lines? If the fronts have an air bubble, then you'll have to press the pedal harder to stop. The extra pedal pressure could be enough to cause the rear brakes to lock.

8. tRustyK5

Now you have me wondering.[​IMG][​IMG] Damn, 1 more thing on the list! I'll check this weekend and let you know if I find any air in the front brakes.
    Thanks

Rene

[​IMG]