Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Impulse Buy and introduction

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 71 K5 CST on ebay yesterday, some of you might have seen it up there. It's blue and appears to be in decent shape (although ebay is a grab bag and I'll have no idea until it arrives). I'm switching sides, used to have a 90K5 until my ex-girlfriend totalled it near Christmas time. Anyway, it's a manual tranny/350 combo. It needs work obviously, but for around the $1500 I spent, I think I got a good deal. Only major problem is that it needs a clutch, and to me that is not a major problem at all. So, by way of introduction (since I've been on the 2nd generation forum until now), my name is Tim, from Massachusetts, and I'm an officer in the Air Force. If this forum is as helpful as the other one, I know I'm in good company. I'll get pics up soon.
    Thanks!!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    if that 350 is what the truck had from factory then its is 90% most likely to be 3.07 ratio axles. it still has the dana 44 and 12 bolt out back right ? G80 rear ? it should, alot of them did. 1500 for a 71 CST K5 4x4 that is complete and not horribly rotted out and through and just needs the clutch replaced is great, beware of how heavy that CH465 tranny is though

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SWEET!!
    Welcome to the ADDICTION!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. Madbomber88

You're the third person to warn me of the weight of the tranny. Is the concern just due to the stress on the engine, or what? My plan, however down the road it is, is to put a GM crate 383 in it mated to the original or rebuilt tranny. Is that a good combo, and has anyone done it?

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Nothing at all wrong that tranny. It's very heavy duty. I think he was referring to the weight when you remove it.
    Air Force here too..Dover, De..weather forecaster /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Madbomber88

Haven't been to Dover yet but I hear good stuff about it, I'm stuck in an ISR position at Hanscom...

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SWEET!!
    Welcome to the ADDICTION!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what he said. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the purchase. Can you post a link to the auction so we don't have to wait for the pictures?

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Congrats on the purchase. Can you post a link to the auction so we don't have to wait for the pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

10. Madbomber88

11. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Looks like a great buy! Congrats and welcome.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So is the rearview mirror glued to the windshield or mounted to the frame? Thoes pics sure make it look like a 72. Eaither way loks like a great project!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Looks like you got a good deal to me!

14. Madbomber88

I was wondering the same thing. What else in the pictures makes you think it may be a 72, and is their any advantage to a 72 over a 71??

15. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

NICE! I like it. Let us know when you get it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

this is a bad place to be for impulse buyers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

welcome from my house /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69k5

17. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Thats not a bad truck... I like it... it seems to be in better shape than my truck when I first bought mine. Mine had a lot of cancer in it and everything in mine was leaking. I bought mine for 1500. So altogether not bad.

James