Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Imput wanted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, May 8, 2000.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I found a 1 owner 1978 K5 with 400/th350/203 with 60,000 original miles. Has trailering package, working air, pwr windows/locks, cruise, tilt, intermitten wipers, in perfect shape. Asking price is $8995. What do you guys and gals think? Should I sell my '96 monte carlo and go for it? I don't have to drive to work so mileage is not a major concern.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, that's too expensive. I think that should be more in the $5K range.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The price sounds a little steep. Even if it only has 60,000 miles, it's still 20 some years old, which also means it has spent quite a bit of time sitting around which in my opinion can be almost as hard on vehicles as actually driving them.

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Either that, or a lot of stop and go driving. Which is pretty harsh on engines. My friends dad use to say, highway miles are harmless, but city miles are harsh. But the speedometer only reads 5 digits right? Meaning, it could really be 160,000, but reads 60,000. You never know.
    Boss

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Sounds a little high to me also. You could buy a decent one for $2-3k and put $4-5k into it and have an awesome rig. Thats the way I think about it. If you could have a nicer one for the same money then its probably not worth it.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Jimmy Buffett

Jimmy Buffett Registered Member

I bought a 78 Jimmy 4x4 four years ago for $2900 - 8k on the motor and brand new brakes - in very good shape, a little rust here and there. You can take a peek at http://www.angelfire.com/NC/GMCtruck/index.html
    No power anything, except HORSEPOWER :>) Hope this helps!

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Well Goose... Sounds like a nice truck, but a little too expensive. 6 grand would be more like it.
    Oh yea...one test I usually do to see how high the mileage is is to look at the brake pedal. If it really has 60k on it, the tread on the brake pad should still be in good shape. If it has been worn off alot, it might be 160k.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I called the dealer today. Assured me it was actual miles and gave me the name of the one and only owner. Original purchase miles were 85. Still has original title from 1978 and build sheet. I believe the K5 was garaged for all its years as there is no sign of sun or water damage except for some slight discoloration of the stock 5 spoke wheels. The dealer admitted that the price was high, and with a 400cid I think I can get them down at least $1000. I'm trying to decide if this a once in a lifetime opportunity, or if I'm just blinded by the glory of a nice K5.

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The 400 was the big motor back then and it has more power than the 350. I dont think you will get the seller to drop a 1000 off just for that. Besides 400 are worth more the a 350.

10. chad

chad Registered Member

hey, i'll sell you my 79 and you can stick 5k into and have an awesome truck, hehe

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

11. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everybody, I'll let you know if I get it. BTW, I was thinking I may have some leverage due to fuel prices and the 400 using more fuel? or at least playing that angle. We'll see if $6000 will get it, later

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

That is a bunch of money, I got my 86 with 103,000 on it with new tires, brakes and in pretty nice shape for 1300.00 last June. I got 121,000 on it now and still way happy and ahead of the game....[​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1