Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In 1st gear...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 3, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

When i let off the gas it slows down dramtically... and sometimes it makes a "err" sound.. when i push in the gas a bit it will speed up and jerk forward really fast.. someitmes make the "err" sound too... whats wrong?? Is it b/c of my tiny gears?? LoL.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208, 4.11's coming soon.
    Kn filter

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thats just gear wind up.....yeah its from your 4.11's i bet....similar to what my sm465 does in L and 1st with my 3.08's and 31's...might even be getting some humming from the t-case.....if its really, really loud, and --use your judgement-- "sounds like its gonna break" I'd immediately check all fluids in the tranny and t-case

I run 85w-140 in my tranny

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont have 4.11's man i have like 3.42's or something... im getting 4.11's this weekend hopfully it will help with this... it doesnt sound like anything is breaking but its anoying and sounds like something is geting alot of stress put on it im thinking the rear end but who knows... rear end fluiid was just replaced so was Tcase fluid... duno about the tranny though or front diff... but that should cause it...
    Theoretically 4.11's would help me with alot of things.. such as not having to rev as high when taking off... not slowing down or speeding up too fast when in 1st... and stuff... but not sure if it will help. MPG around town should improve right?
    Moving upo to 4.11's

Kn filter

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

TTT

Kn filter

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you already have 35's and 3.42's then yeah the 4.11's will help out lots....since its a standard when it winds up like that just shift into neutral...I have to do it often especially in second. I know the sound you are talking about i've heard it in about every standard I've EVER driven...naturally its louder in my blazer but yet same type of thing.

I really doubt its doing much damage besides making things heat up if you "ride the gears" so to speak...I think its more of the gears in the t-case making noise than the rear end...usually the rear makes a bit more of a clicky noise before it heads south unless it starts whinning after a road trip in which case the gears are probably pretty hot...maybe try a synthetic fluid if its that....

4.11's will definately help you with your 35's! I had 4.11's in my old 82 longbed truck and it could smoke up 33" mud grip tires without a second thought and that was with a TH350 auto tranny...the sm465 is much lower...with the standard you should see a great economy improvement citywise on the the highway might be a different story but i dont know my gear calculations that well to tell you interstate stuff...off hand I'd say rpm's would e okay with 35's... Hope you like the 4.11's let me know i am thinking of running 35's in the near future in which case the 3.08's outback must go

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It's normal. That is called compression braking. Lower gears have it more than higher gears because they are trying to spin the engine faster.

Many manual transmissions have a first gear ratio of around 3:1.
    The SM 465 low gear ratio is 6.55:1 so it makes up for even the highest of axle ratios in most cases.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Sm465 Low ratio is 6.54 :1 ... 1st gear would be 3.57:1 so not soo far off... I never use Low on the street.. as far as i know you dont need too or should'nt... I use low when crawlin hills or pulling only. Im pretty sure my 4.11's will help.

Kn filter