Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In a little debate here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brians89K5, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Im going back and fourth on replacing my rear drive shaft or having it lenghtened. I just lifted my truck 6 inches and I need to make it longer. Im also waffling back and fourth on a cv drive line or just set up what I have. What are you fellas doing on your six inch lift? Right not, it vibrates a little.... well... A lot... :eek1:

~Brian

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I lifted mine 4" and intalled a new shaft w/ CV joint. Works great.

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

What driveline are you running? I am looking at used driveshafts after my swap, but I imagine running into rear driveline problems since the rear output is longer on a 205 than a 203. Therefore I will probably have to goto a cv style rear for my setup. :dunno:

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your running a slip yolk (which you probably are if its an 89 blazer), then you probably need to lengthen the shaft and have a cv joint installed. I put around 6" lift on my 87 with a slip yolk and it had a horrible vibration. The shaft was too short and had no cv, so the driveshaft was actually moving around inside the slip yolk. Thats what was causing my vibration/grinding noise. Search around on here and you can figure out how to measure your driveshaft so that you lengthen it the right length. Too long and it can bottom out in the tcase and crack the aluminum case....too short and it can pull out. You get the idea.
    -Harrison