Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In a sticky!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 29, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm stuck in a sticky situation here.
    I'd owned my jimmy since I was around 12 years old. It was this vehicle that my dad and I spent many nights in the coldest part of winter laying on concrete with only a propane tiger torch (yes, open flame) to heat the area.
    It was this vehicle that I learned to respect horsepower and what it will do if you are not careful.
    It was also this vehicle that lead me to find this one of a kind online family.
    It was this vehicle I sat in many, many times before I got my drivers lisense dreaming of what I want to do with it. While listening to the stereo my dad and I installed.
    This was the vehicle that I learned about rust.
    This was the vehicle that made me love chevy/gm and all aspects of what they did.
    The Jimmy was also my first big project.
    It was also the first vehicle I attempted to rebuild something, the Q-jet (even though i'm still tuning it MANY months later) and its the first rebuild that I tried to grasp all the information I could.

Many things have changed since my dad passed away. This vehicle holds more memories than I can count with my dad and I. From working on it together, to working together to get it paid off. It holds many memories.

Like I said, things changed. We moved to a new house this summer, I bought a more fuel efficent truck. I'm planning to move away from my home for school, whether it be western Canada, or southwestern U.S.A. .
    I've been thinking, and my mom and other relatives have mentioned if I should sell the Jimmy or not. It has not been driven for a long time, and it won't be unless I can afford to insure 2 vehicles; the jimmy and the yoter. With my not having a job-yet. And being in school 10/12 months out of the year its hard to make enough money for gas with a 350, let alone upgrades and other esentials when the time calls. And I think insurance for people my age is around 1500-$2000 per vehicle. So its going to hurt if I insure both of 'em.

I don't know what my plans are. As some may remember I had high dreams for the red blazer which came crashing down when my brain came to reality.

But I may have to sell the Jimmy. Whatever happens, I know i will buy not one, but a few more after I get out of college or University. With the money I will spend some money fixing the toyota so its not so rusty, and also upgrade it a bit so I can wheel too. With the leftovers may make a savings account for school, or invest it for when I'm getting old. Who knows... I'm a teen, my mind changes 10 times a minute :rolleyes:

If I keep it I will probably keep it stock or add a lil lift and 35's and just have fun with it on weekends. As I can't afford metal, and crazy prices of tires... :confused: who knows!!!!!!!!

comments? To let you know how much money I make, excluding extra cash from my mom, I made just over $3000.00 in the last 2-3 years :doah: most of that being from cutting lawn at this ladies house on the weekends. Hopefully I can find a good job soon to help me finish paying off my mom for the toyota truck.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

isurance is not that bad per vechile, afterall you can only drive 1 at a time. depnds on your driving record but for an older yota and a k5 i cant see you paying more than 2000 a year (again depending on driving record) also you can insure the k5 as a recreational vechile and insuance will be next to nothing

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you sell it I think you will regret it. if your dad was still around or if it didn't hold so many memories with you and your dad id say sell it till you can get a new one. if I was in the same situation I could never get rid of it. my suggestion would be to just park it and come back to it when you can

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

My first car was a 1957 Oldsmobile, and I wish I still had it. :doah: How many times do you hear old guys say something like that? If you can, keep it but dont drive it or insure untill you can afford it. I cant afford to insure all the vehicles I own, but if one breaks down. I just transfer the ins. to one of the backup vehicles. :thumb:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You can always park it and come back and finish it 10 years from now.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey man, it sounds like ur around the same age as me.. im 19. in college and building up my truck... im constantly poor... i work 20ish hours.. now cut down to like 15ish for school/winter hours but im still affording it. I am upgrading things as well. I have realized that many of the guys on here are adults.. with full time jobs.. so they can afford full locked axles.. dana 60's bla bla bla all this crazy stuff. but for the time being i cant. mines only 4" lift and 33" tires.. soon to be 6" and 35s but i've been saving for a long time for that stuff.. and shopping around for parts. My plan is seeing i have to drive it every day... i gather EVERY last part i need to do an upgrade then do it in a day or 2... cant leave projects laying around if u wanna be driving them and stuff. i mean it might be longer for you to actually upgrade but u'll still have fun driving it. Like yourself too my dad and i worked on my truck alllllll last summer for weeks on end fixing all the rust and making it work. was some of the best times i've had.. now my dad hasnt passed away but still i dont think i could sell it cuz of the memories in it. I would park it.. keep it. or just drive it how it is and do small upgrades... and just realize after school is done w/.. u can upgrade it like all these guys here... so keep it

7. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

keep it! My truck has been in the family since i was born, (1985 K10) that my dad custom ordered in 1984. Many hours, trips, work time, lessons, you name it. Its my daily driver and I can NOT get rid of it. Gas may be really hard to deal with it but i cant get rid of the truck. I dont know if im just stubborn or what. I would love an S-10 get some better milage but I cant afford 2 vehicles lol. So in conclusion, dont get rid of it

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

No i'm pretty sure its that high. Its really expenisve for teens because we're more likely to crash, etc. It only costs a tad over 1k for my mom to insure our f-250 for 1 year.

I think I'm keeping it but I don't know. I don't know how my mom will feel about storing it for 4-6 yrs while in Unviersity. I don't know.

9. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

KEEP IT!

With the memories you have in it, you will always be kicking youreself for selling it. Don't be like a lot of us here and comsierate by saying for the rest of your life "man, I wish I still had that old truck. BTDT :doah:

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I only pay about $1000 per year for both my K5 and my Toyota. I have the K5's policy set for the lowest mileage (under 5K per year), and have limited use on my toyota since its a trail rig, have a good student discount and a clean driving record. Both trucks titles are in my name, as are the policies. Im not that much older than you either, im only 20. A clean record and good grades go a long way.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what are you going to school for? if auto then see if you can use your vehicle for class credit for a work on vehicle. so schools require you to have or supply a auto to work on. just a idea. and if it that close to you and your family KEEP IT TILL ITS DEAD .

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i would definately keep it,,,nuff said

13. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Insurance isn't that bad when you insure 2 vehicals.(atleased with my insurance company it isn't) With my multi vehical disscount I only pay like under 20 bucks more to insure my blazer and s-10 than if I just insured my s-10 alone. It costs me just under 1000 bucks a year to insure my vehicals. I am 22 and have 2 accidents and 4 speeding tickets on my record also. Although I was mooching of of my parents insurance until I was 21 when the insurace company finaly forced me onto my own isurace after I got my second vehical. I think my agent has a tendancy to try and screw me over at times. :rolleyes: But I can't complain cause I looked at those other insurance that claim that they can save you a lot of money but all of them would end up costing me over 3 grand a year. I just can't wait to hit the magical insurance age of 25 and then it will be real cheap.

Sorry, that got long and derailed.

14. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

I learned to drive in my Dad's '78, and when I took my D/L test I drove it as well. Even though I don't currently own that truck, since I've been able to afford cars I've had four blazers, including the one I have now. My dad is also still around, and I really can't imagine what your going through. I know one thing though, is that whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be a good decision.
    You sound like a fine young man, and considerate of your mother as well. I hope my son grows up to be as thoughtful and compassionate as you. I'm certain your dad would understand whatever decision you will make, and that somewhere he is very proud of you.
    Do what you have to do... They made lots of Jimmy's. Each one will remind you of your father, as mine have done for me.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

DO NOT SELL THAT TRUCK!!!!

i am in the very same situation with my K20, except it was my grandfather's truck, not my dad's. learned alot from it, learned alot of good life lessons while working in the garage with him. too many memories there to let it go. i literally broke down and cried when my grandma told me that it was mine. and now, there's only one way you're getting the keys to it... prying them out of my cold dead hands. yes, you can replace the truck, but you cannot replace the memories that are attached to that particular trust. those are worth more than any amount of money.
    and then rebuild it, and make it better!

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

horse crap. its paid for, drop the insurance, and dont drive it. it costs nothing for it to sit in wait of the day that you can afford to bring it back to its well deserved glory.

17. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

A major part of growing up is knowing when to ask for advice. I feel Steve is right to reseach stuff first, rather than acting like some of our bandmembers and just doing it. :rolleyes:
    And there is nothing wrong with keeping things to remind yourself of the past. I'd bet if we looked around your place we would find reminders of your past, it could be pictures,or that old _______your grandfather gave you. The things may have more sentimental value than cash value, but every time you see them it brings back memories. I think Steve should keep it if it's alright with his mom about storing it there.

18. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ya u should definitely keep it, if u have all the memories and the respect for that truck, its a good thing to keep, maybe not even drive, just once a month or so down the street, even without insurance, just to keep it going. im sure ull be glad u did when the time comes that its street worthy again. :D

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you have the means, immobilize the K5 so it can't be stolen, park it, and don't insure it. You'll want it back some day if you sell it now, believe me. In the mean time, drive the yota, finish school and get a real job... then putting $ into the K5 will be no problem.

j

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Park it and get back to it when you can. I assume that it isn't tied up in a loan so it won't cost you anything to just let it sit somewhere other than storage insurance(cheap). Drive the yota and save your gas money. I use to think its just a car and I can get another one. Not what I really wanted though. My father and I have drifted apart some but I still remember the long hours we spent together on my first car. Keep it or you'll regret it later.