Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In Canada!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Aug 14, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, I jumped the boarder :haha: Actually drove across, through a one man station that had a stop sign and little booth.

I'm here in Magog, Quebec, in the "Eastern Townships." I doubt there's anyone on CK5 from around this part of the country...it's pretty rediculous, all the signs are only in french, and a good number of people i have encountered don't speak any english :eek1:. So far I get the nice "not so welcomed" feeling whenever I'm walking around this little town. It's incredible how much a boarder changes things. I came over through Vermont, and stayed at my aunt and uncles place in Derby, which is as north as you can get in Vermont, you can actually see canada from their living room window. Everyone there i encountered was very pleasant, kind of rural, nice-folk type, always wave as you're driving by, even if you don't know them....Then I cross the boarder into Canada and people just seem to have an air about them...then they try and speak to me in french, and I just give them a really dumb look and start speaking in english...which they seem to struggle with. But seriously, i'm about a 30 minute drive from the boarder, and only the touristy shops and restaturants have english speaking staff :dunno:

Anyways, I also have a question for the canukians on here.

I'm at my grandparents house and their email got screwed up and they can't send any because of an ERROR message that comes up when you try to send out through outlook express.

Question is...do you guys have POPhm and SMTPhm up here in canada? That is how their email settings are configured (smtphm.sympatico.ca), but I have never seen this before and didn't know if this is just how email servers are set up here or what.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So it's kind of like driving around in certain parts of LA? Nice...............:D

3. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

dont base your opinion of canada on the french. After all they dont want to be part of Canada anyways.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What are you doing in Canada you brat? Don't you know that french women never shave. :doah:

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Neither do the girls on Coney Creek...

Nick, did you drive up there? In your truck?

6. B_to_C

Yea....but they have those accents, and somehow they just seem sexier in their euro-style clothes :o :D

SSSsshhhhhhh don't tell anyone but I am seriously contemplating buying some crazy euro clothing for myself...you know, I want to fit into the HGRC :p:

HA! :haha: Yea John...I duct taped my frame together, super-glued my transfer case shut, poured some marvel mystery oil down the engine, and drove the 2,000 miles here...:haha: you crack me up! Nope, flew into boston, then drove my step-dads pickup truck here. I'll be here 'till friday then it's back down to the boston area for another week before I come back to the big CO.

*I ended up just teaching my grandma how to use hotmail. :whistle:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Bring me back some Boston Baked Beans.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

FWIW My grandad came away from that provence with a bad taste. Everywhere else in Canada they require all of the signs to be in French and English. But the Quebecians (?) can't be bothered to put up the English signs. Were I Canadian I'd contemplate shipping them back to their country of origin and reclaiming that territory.

Oh, I prefer yahoo to hotmail, but it's more an anti-MS stance than anything important.

9. B_to_C

Our resident canadian has been suspiciously quiet in this thread :thinking:

funny observation of the day:

The maker of the toilete i was peeing in today was "cranada" ...makes ya wonder :haha:

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

He's on a 2 week vacation with the family.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'd rather Queerbec wasn't part of Canada either. So I guess the feelings mutual.

12. B_to_C

Ha, there's nothing wrong with a 2 week vacation with family :thumb:

13. B_to_C

Ok....on to "Today's Wierd Canada Story"

I drove my grandmother to a lavender farm she has been wanting to go to down the road fromt heir house. We paid the $8 for our tour tickets and the nice little ticket girl....who was FREAKIN hot....said another tour would begin in 5 minutes. So we checked out the gift shop real quick then went to the tour gathering area...

This guy talked in french for a couple minutes, and then asked, "Is there anyone here who ONLY speaks english?"

-We were the only ones to raise our hands.

The tour guide said "Well, how about you wait for the next tour group, it leaves in half an hour, and i will do that tour in both french and english, since you are the only english speaking people here right now."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Soooooo, I walked back to that hot little ticket girl and told her our...situation.

In the end we got a private guided tour from the OWNER of the farm who made the tour guide apologize profusley to us after he was done with the "french only" tour :deal: :haha:

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Exactly as it should be. You should have asked the 1st guide if he understood what the words foot & ass meant.

15. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

**** em. I live closer to Mexico than I do to Quebec and everything costs more because we need Canadian packaging with French on none side.