Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In dash radio

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wheels, Sep 1, 2000.

1. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I plan on installing a JVC radio/CD player in my 79. The in dash location was designed for a knob type radio. To put the JVC in this location would require cutting the dash to make it fit. I could save the cut-outs so if I wanted to bring it back to original configuration I could weld them back. The problem is there is no support behind the radio to support it when it is installed. I can fabricate a small box to weld in that location to support it, but I would rather find an install kit that would do the trick. The only one I can find only goes back to 1982. Any one have any suggestions or ideas or will the 1982 kit work? Thanks.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Post this topic in Audio. there is a memeber named DBLAZER who owns an audio shop. he can point you toward the install stuff. I used a kit from Metra, da#$ good stuff. Or you can send him a private mail.

3. tundra101

tundra101 Registered Member

in my '89 jimmy I've got the really big cut out (din 1 1/2) and I am using a 90 camaro install kit; it works ok. I work at a high end install shop and usually the dash unit comes with a basket that the unit slides into (install basket into cutout and push prongs on basket out with a pick tool. The prongs should hold the basket tight in the dash so that the radio won't vibrate but it is a good idea to use put the strip of bendable metal from in the dash to the rear of the radio to secure it... it also helps in theft protection.)

4. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

I put a new deck and speakers in my 86K5 last week. I ended up ordering the equipment from Crutchfield. This way they sent me everything but the tools. The install kits are not very easy to find. I was told by several shops that Metra has discontinued the kit. Crutchfield includes a great cosmetic plate to hide all the cutting that is neccesary. Email me if you have any Q's!!

mmandigo@charter.net

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

In the shop I work at, we never cut out the metal. We make 4 horizontal slices with a cut-off wheel and bend the left and right tabs back in the dash to make room for a DIN sized radio. Then if you want to use a 2 knob again all you have to do is bend the sides back. Its real easy.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Almost forgot to tell you. Don't mess with some kind of box. And you don't need a dash kit when you cut it out; all you might need is a cosmetic plate that would cover the front. Just get a backstrap to support the radio. There will be a hole in the back of your radio to attach it to and just mount the other end to something solid in your Blazer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I dont own the shop i just manage it. Thanx fr8train, i appreciate the recomondation. As far as the kit is concerned, there is a dash kit that works, 73k5 is right, you dont have to use the kit, but i believe the kit makes the install much easier and in the end the dash looks better than with just a trim ring. That is only my opinion. I dont remeber the part number off the top of my head. 73 has a good idea with the cutting and bending, it isnt how i do it but i know it works just fine. Feel free to send me a message if you nee anything. DBLAZER

[​IMG]

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I think the cut and bend is the best option. I got a new Crutchfield mag today. DBlazer, I may contact uyou on any ideas. I have a second bezel I got from a donor and was able to get a good cutout on it today that the unit fits in snugly. I'll install the bezel tomorrow to see if it will work out. Again, thanks.

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

These trucks are not to hard to break in to. Have you considered mounting it consealed? Then leaving the stock radio as a decoy? There are several cool options. You could use both your center console or your glove-compartment.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com