Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In dash speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Gandolf, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I own an "89 Blazer and I plan on replacing my 3.5" in dash speakers with high quality replacements. Any brand/model speakers you recommend? Also, at the same time I want to install a center speaker for a CB radio. Does anyone know what size speaker fits in the center dash position? And, what brand/model of speaker would you recommend for a CB speaker? Thanks.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I personaly run Eclipse 3.5's in my dash. But I like the performance that I have hear from the Alpine also. As for the the center, If it is set up for one it would be a 4x10. However, before you go and by one, I would suggest pulling the dash pad to see how much room you have in the dash. Brand of 4x10??? Well, you wont hear me say this iften, but buy cheap. Why? Well, a cheap low power handling speaker is going to be an efficiant dpeaker and isnt going to require much power to get volume out of. And seeing how I figure a cb to only put out 3 to 5 watts of power on the external speaker, you will want a speaker that you can hear. Plus, sound quality wont mean a thing on a Cb anyway cause they all sound like crap[​IMG] Hope this helps. Hey check out my site, I am very proud of the hard work I put into it. HAVE A NICE DAY

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Everything thing that DBlazer said is right on. Even if you weren't going to use a 4x10 for a CB, I'd still say buy cheap. Its just a bad size and those speakers just never sound that great, even the nice ones. I hooked up some Rockford Fosgate 3.5's a few weeks ago and they sounded pretty OK.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, guys. I will check out the Eclipse, Alpine and Rockford Fosgate 3.5's. I have an Alpine CD player and Alpine amp, so Alpine 3.5's would keep everything matched by brand name. I also plan to hear the Infinity 3.5's. When it comes to speakers, I try to choose by the sound, not the brand name or sales hype...but since hearing them on the wall of a stereo shop is so different than in the dash of the Blazer, I felt I needed your thoughts on the matter. So again, thanks. If the center is a 4x10, I can just put in one of the stock speakers I removed from the rear and save $$$. Before I do that, I will check our local Ham/CB shop for their opinion. Maybe there are CB or Com specific speakers (Made by Motorola? ). I don't care about fidelity with the CB but I do want it to be durable.
    Hey, DBlazer...I checked out your site...nice job, and congrads on finding your perfect woman. Your K5 is definitely set up for serious offroading and it seems you haven't overlooked anything in the BEEF department. Very impressive. I bookmarked your site and will return to it from time to time.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have a question on the indash speakers as well, there is a bar runnign over the top of them, i jsut punched out my sounds holes in my dash b/c i am getting a new dash and then there was a metal bar, does that thing do ne thing? or not?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its alot easier if you just remove the dash all together. It doesn't take that long. I think it would take longer trying to get the bars out.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I just bought 3.5" pioneer's and they sound great. They were only $50. 4x10 in the middle.

'87 Beast

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I put a set of 6 1/2 components in mine and they sound awesome. I used to sell car stereo at Circuit City and i got them cheap enough to where i said heck with it. I put the 3/4" swivel tweets in the dash mounted with a small sheet of abs plastic. The 6 1/2s were cut into the door panel. Crossovers mounted in the doors. It rocks. Running off nothing but an alpine 7845 last years model. Plans for a four channel are in the works.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

9. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I put in Pioneer 3 1/2" blew up on 25 watts so I am going to get infinitys. pioneer 4x10's they sound great, and I like them, they sound good and work well.

10 out of 11 people prefer Jimmys over Blazers.