Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In keeping with the current insect theme...Ticks, How do I...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Apr 23, 2002.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

...keep them off of my cat? He spends most of his time outside. Is there a natural remedy? How about those powders/collars? I ended up plucking them out with tweezers last year and am not up for a repeat performance. Those suckers are NASTY!!

2. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Michelle....

you could try the collars/powders. I'm not real sure how effective they are though. I've looked through all the research I have done on Lymes Disease and ticks and they mention precautions for humans but nothing for pets. My best suggestion is contact your local vet andsee what they reccommend.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Pool water. My family has a pool at our house, and all our dogs have never had ticks because they drink pool water. The ticks just don't like the chlorine I guess. Out of 3 dogs and 17 years (that I can remember) only one dog ever got a tick, and that was just one tick. Thats all.

I don't know how this will help with a cat, and possibly no pool though.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt put a collar on an outdoor cat. Indoor cat is fine but an all terrain cat may get caught up on it. They can squeeze thru some real tight spaces, the collar may hook on something.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

If you really cared that much about your cat, you would not let it roam the neighborhood. Just a matter of time until it's a hood ornament or dog food. And if you let your cat roam and it's not fixed, you're an irresponsible jerk.

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

First off, Michelle never said that her cat roamed the neighborhood. She said it spent most of it's time out side. There is a difference. Second of all what gives you the right to make such a statement against another member. How do you know her cat isn't fixed? Maybe I have no place opening my mouth on this but I have spoke with Michelle many times and I feel like she is a very responsible person. That plus I would defend just about anyone here. Not to mention that I work with a complete bunch of freakin idiots that totally pissed me off today.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

cool it. I share some of your views but lets not point fingers, lets just hope you were making an indirect statement and didn't quit phrase it right../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Get stuff called Front Line from the vet... works great, cept when the ticks fall off the cat they head for you.... I am known as tick girl cuz I always get them on me from my friends dogs.... those little things stink!

9. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Cat's fixed, had his shots and I live amongst woods and 1 neighbor. Bear problem maybe, car problem no.

10. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Donna,
    T'ank you veddy much!
    Michelle~

11. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Heh, heh/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I thought you were going to be anti-cat and say to THROW THE CAT IN THE POOL!!!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Interesting idea(cat drinking it, not drowning it), mom has a pool.

12. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I dont have cats but I do have 2 dogs, a rottie and a german shepherd. One of my neighbors planted garlic along the fence line 3 years or so ago and both of the dogs started grazing on the pieces that came thru the fence. Haven't had a flea, tick, or hot spot problem with either dog since. Talked to the vet about it and he said that it wont hurt them at all to eat it and even suggested using garlic supplements during the winter months. Lots cheaper than FrontLine or any of the other ointments like it. Besides, I'd rather use a natural, instead of chemical, solution to the problems.

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Kinda off topic but still kinda on topic. If you pull a tick off that is extremely big from all the blood it's sucked, light it on fire and it will POP! We used to do that all the time with the ticks our dogs had. Heck fire was the only way I found to kill those little suckers, you can't squash them when they are small, but they sure burn good.

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Tick girl Tick girl !

15. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Im sure that alot of the remedies will work, but the ticks will come back if its outdoors expecially on cats because they are everywhere.

I also think that one reply by whomever it was, was god awful rude.Never have i seen someone get worked up that much about a cat that roams the city.

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It's either called advantage or it's something else...do a search on petexpress.com. You dab a little of this stuff behind their neck and in 12 hours, not a single flea or tick! And it keeps them off for a month! It's awsome stuff! I wish I could remember the name...just do a search on petexpress.com and you'll find it.

17. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I sense some unresolved anger on an issue dealing with cats huh.....?/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

BTW Hi, I'm a jerk, I let my cat go outside and he goes into other yards.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

You rebel! I knew you had it in ya!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Adams flea and tick spray is the best/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That would have been my second answer. I don't like cats, and I am highly allergic to them. I wouldn't be cruel to a cat, but if I accidentally ran over one, I can't say I would be to broke up about it.