Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

in line 6

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

how many here have an inline six in their k5/10 and what do you that have/had think about them (the six) :dunno: ?

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have an inline 6 in my dodge, does that count?

3. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I had a inline 6 on a 82 Blazer, and one on 82 C-10. They are long lasting reliable engines. Not enough power to move a big mass quickly though. And mine both had the integrated intake manifold into the head. When the thing cracks (and they do), its big bucks to replace.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My 70 K5 still has the original 250 I6. It has plenty of power for hiway driving, even at 8000ft. Gas mileage is pretty good for 3.73 gears (17mpg). As long as I don't go oversize on the tires, it is plenty for me. If I want a hot rod, I will build one.

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had an '81 SWB with 4" lift, 33's and 3.73 gears. It ran the 250 inline in front of a 465 and got 18 mpg. I still kick myself for selling that truck. :doah: Damn reliable truck. I tried so hard to blow up the 250 so I would have an excuse to put a SBC in it, but no luck. The motor survived everything I threw at it. :bow:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a few "Camelhumpers"..

I had 2 sixes ...one in my 81 G10 van,and one in my 79 C10..

I put a V8 in the van for more power--but I should not have used a 73 307!--it has LESS power and torque than the six did!--plus I put a 2.73 rear axle in it after the swap,when the original 3.08 one started clunking due to a worn diff case...its a super slug now!..but the V8 IS a bit better on fuel mileage..

The C10 had a "integral" head six too,with 116,000 original miles--the 2SE rochester carb sucked on my van,and the first thing I did to the C10 was ditch the carb and make an adapter to run an edelbrock performer on it--I disconected the secondaries and it ran excellent!..I drove it 2 years,but only put about 3000 miles on it(its not my only driver)..and unfortunately the #6 piston lost a few chunks out of the top of it,exposing the top compression rings--

I fogged everyone off the highway on my 15 mile "limp" home! :haha: --I tried my best to blow it up by holding it in "low" when I got close to home,until it would go no faster!--I hit 65 mph before it would not go any faster--but I could not get the damm thing to toss a rod!...I junked the six and put a 305 from an 86 van in it...its much faster now,and gets 2-3 more mpg's than it did with the six...

I DO like straight sixes though--but I prefer the older 250's and 292's with removable intakes and one barell carbs--those "Camelhumpers" usuall pinged themselves to death at low mileage,and the 2 bbl carbs were crap for the most part--the one off my C10 was a good runner though,and I still have it if anyone needs it!... :crazy:

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I run a 292 - check my signature.

Tom

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I've been to inliners before. I've seen a few 4x4s with sixs in them. My 350 is about to die and may be able to get a 6 for next to nothin'. I was leaving work last friday and stopped in the drive since my boss was coming down from the other building on his golf car. He came to a screeching halt beside the k-10 sliding in the last several feet making a loud noise :rolleyes: . Then saying that he made more noise than I :( . He advised that all was well in building 3. So being the one that i am revved up the well used up 350 and popped the clutch :wink1: . And the truck comminced to move forward a little faster than normal at the same time a very large cloud of smoke came out of the duel tail pipes :eek1: . the cloud as i was pulling away was big enough that I could not see my partner in car behind me :shocked:. The boss took off going around the large patch of smoke that I left lingering in the middle of the road when I left while my partner drove around the other side of this huge cloud that was starting to lighten as it spead out. :haha: . The next day in about the same spot we found a dead armadillio on the edge of the road that my boss claims that the fumes off of my truck caused :eek:. While I claimed that i smoked my partner :bow: .
    But now my truck is blowing air out the valve cover vent like a ring/rings are sealing a wee bit less than they were before :dunno:. But before this truck dies I was thinking of gettin' this inline 6 to swap into the k-10. :deal:. I mostly just ride on trails with some small mud holes and a few nice hills. This truck like says in the signature has a 3 on the tree with a 205 case. What do you think? Go for the six or get anther slight to well used 350 for it?

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

had an 84 k10 with 465 tranny and 250 i-6 :D was sweet! gas milage and torque and a stick hehehehhe and 4x4 who could ask for anythign more?

11. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Do a search on clifford intakes.
    With a small 4bbl., header and a cam the 6cyl will really suprise a lot of people. More torque than a V6 of similar size.
    Lots of fun.
    Great sound.
    We used to run a 250 Chevy in a late model 2600lb. stock car. It would lift the front wheels on asphalt.
    This engine never reved over 6000 rpm either.

This brings back some good memories... Thanks

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds familiar..

We had a local dirt track hero ("Bugsy Stevens") who ran a lot of 292 chevy sixes,and won a good many races!..even the guys with big blocks could not beat him!..I've seen a few 292 powered rail dragsters that put out 350 hp,and about 400 ft lbs of torque!--one did 132 mph in the 1/4 mile! :eek1: .

One of the things I liked most about the inline 6 chevy's is the fact the are SO easy to work on!--TONS of room under the hood,everything is simple,nothing takes more than an hour to fix!..I did a "valve job" on a friends 250 six in 4 hours,and I didn't break a sweat--had another fresh head to slap on all ready to go...took longer to drill and tap the broken exhaust manifold studs than it did to pull and replace the head!..(mostly due to my torches running out of oxogen and my drill bits sucked! :doah: )..

They are pretty powerful for the amount of cubic inches!.( not counting the 194,215,and 230 motors--they have a short stroke and love to wind out,but are not that torquey)--my 79 C10 could bark the tires when it shifted into second gear--I've yet to get the 305 to do that,but it will spin them in first easier than the six would...the sixes are a torque motor,the V8's seem to be more peppy at higher RPM's than the sixes.. :crazy:

I knew a kid who had a 67 Camaro with a 230 six and a three speed standard tranny--I've never seen a car beaten as badly as his--he'd drive it WIDE OPEN until it would go no faster in every gear,every day for over 3 years!--the only work he ever did to it was a rebuilt water pump,and once I helped him pull the motor out far enough to replace the oilpan,after he crushed it on a speed bump(and drove it 6 months leaking,adding 2 qts of drain oil a day from a gas station--and he ran it low more than once!)..the car did not even smoke!...proves the chevy six is a pretty sturdy motor!.. :crazy: