Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In need of a New Car!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by sarazk5, Jul 3, 2002.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Well I have come to the conclusion that it isn't good to drive a 4x4 daily. With my truck down I have been driving the 4Runner daily... it is built for off-road not for the highway.. the rearend started making noises so I took it to Rivercity Differetial and Sean gave me a loaner 3rd member for us to put in. When we swapped it out there were teeth missing on our gears. But the noises still persist. Shawn is now thinking the transfercase is also going out. My engine is still not in. It is almost done being assembled and we should be installing it this weekend. But now Shawn says he is never working on my truck again! He is tired of working on both trucks. So I am going to break down and buy a newer honda for a daily driver so I don't have to worry about wearing down everything on the truck from highway daily wear! I have determined a $200.00 car payment will be a lot less than the expenses we are getting for using the trucks for what they are NOT Intended. Any thoughts on what i should get? I'm thinking a 98-99 Accord. I would rather an SUV, but worry I'd run into the same problems with them... more things to break. I just hate driving little low to the ground cars! I'll probably still drive my truck to work every once in a while. But I could also always have it ready for trips!

2. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

You should look into a Subaru. I'm planning on getting one for a daily driver. They're hard to find used but it can be done. They're very reliable and they are all wheel drive! If you don't go to the snow or anything they're all around safer in the rain and what not. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Either way, check the consumer reports for used cars. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Just my two cents...
    Good luck!

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

See signature. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I would agree except for the fact that Chevy does not currently make a "car" that I would like or buy. I can't afford a Vette! And a Tahoe or Yukon would defeit my purpose of a commuter car with low maintenance.

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I just bought a new car this past November and would have loved to have bought an American car, but, unfortunately, I have never seen a modern American car that can hold up under high miles like alot of the foreign cars can. I have been commuting 125 miles round-trip every day for the past 13 years and have owned a Nissan pickup, a Toyota Rav4 and just recently bought a VW GTI. I never had a problem with the Nissan or the Toyota. The Nissan had 289,000 when I sold it and the Toyota was at about 155,000. I'm hoping the VW holds up as well as the others did. If I didn't live so far away from my job, I would probably have bought something different and, most likely it would have been American.

I know there are lots of Toyotas and, I think, Hondas that are made here in the US, so that might be something to consider if it makes you feel more patriotic/forums/images/icons/grin.gif I guess I don't really have a point, it's just been my experience that modern American cars aren't built as well as some foreign cars and there isn't nearly the selection. Flame on/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. crawlerfj40

crawlerfj40 1/2 ton status

I have had my 91 GEO since new and I am over 200,000 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif just a starter, tires I am bad

7. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

FYI Nissans are made in Tennessee /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 20 million miles is awfully impressive! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think he got carried away with the 0000000 key....LOL <font color="red"> </font color>

10. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I've seen high mileage GEO's but I'd be scared to drive something that small in Bay Area traffic... too many soccer moms bombing around in their big a$$ suvs, screaming at kids, flappin' on their cell phones and basically not paying attention. Not to mention other folks brushing their teeth, shaving, putting on makeup, reading the paper, etc.

11. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

i think he drank to many keystones...lol... he forgot to mention that he lost a cly. on it 2 months ago and has still been driving it!hehehehehe

12. crawlerfj40

200,000 miles lol caught you lookin /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sara,

It's easy to recommend something like a little Honda Civic, or Toyota Corrolla. Everyone has heard the stories about how they simply last and last... and my own experiences (with Hondas at least) are proof of that as well.

It's true also that it's getting harder and harder to define what is a "foreign car" anymore. Most of the Japanese manufacturers (as well as German) are now building cars in the U.S. presumably to save on the import tax penalties....so much of what we previously called "imports" are built in the good 'ol USA! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The only downside I see is the lack of protection in a serious crash....Hands down, the BIG vehicle wins every time, but at the penalty of low fuel economy, and more wear and tear moving all that mass around.

Just my $.02

14. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I agree Greg. I want a Yukon or a Tahoe but I am tired of spending the $$ on repairs, want to keep my truck and eventually want to buy a boat. I got rid of my honda because i was so tired of it, but now I'm worried about wearing down the Jimmy faster than I can repair it. Today I had to get a ride to work! No thanks on the Geo's or the Subaru's I wouldn't get caught in a GEO. I think the smallest I'll go is an Accord or Camry. I'm thinking about going and looking at this: web page
    Looks like a great deal with V6 and Leather. They have a lot of nice cars there for good prices, and they are totally cool people there.

15. crawlerfj40

crawlin Damn your on it I drive it until it wont move know more 120 miles a day for the last 4 yrs not to bad!it gets me there! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What sort of budget are you looking at. Japanese cars do last for forever. With something like a hyundai you get a killer waranty. But if you were worried about saftey and had a little exra cash something like a volvo would be the way to go.

17. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Before I go out the door I would have to put my vote for a saturn (they have the best warrinty in the business and there cars are I think rated to be the next to best in safty features- and not that bad on the $$$ amount either..mike) /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif