Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In need of advice.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gofergurl, May 4, 2006.

1. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I am quitting my job as a para-educater (special education teacher aide) in July. I can't go to school full time and work decent hours at a school. Not to mention that 2 days out of the week I am getting up anywhere from 2:45am and 4am to do a respite job. I have been taking classes around work this school year and it sucks. I am constantly worn out and stressed. Plus there's the fact of taking night classes and not having time to do my homework during the day. This next year is going to be my last year at the community college. I will then be going on to a university to get my Bachelor's Degree. I don't have the grades to get scholarships, and can't raise my GPA up to a 3.0 in a years time. So over the next couple of years I have to save up enough money to pay for my 2-3 years I have left when I get to a university.

My question is what is the best job to have during college? What's the best way to try and pay for it with out using loans?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

The best way I have found is to work your a$$ off during the break times (winter/summer) and make a lot of money, and use it to pay off school and other stuff. Use it sparingly after that.

Get a very part time job during the school year, not too many hours, and have the ability to drop it if the load of the job or school becomes too great.

That is what I have done, rarely borrowing money from the parents, and it has worked out pretty well...

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Waitressing at a decent restaurant. Or cocktail waitress. Good money, variable hours.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

selling pot.:p:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bust your ass during summer, christmas break, spring break, thanksgiving, and any 3 or 4 day weekends you might have. You'd be surprised how much you can make that way.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't be afraid of the loans. I needed a couple - they are worth it in the end.

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I worked as a mechanic and lived at home with my parents. My grades weren't that good either. I worked my assneck off during breaks and then part time during the rest of the school years. I did have one year that I only went to school and my mom gave me a hundred bucks a week to get by and keep gas in the tank and my girls happy. It took me 6 years to get my BSEE and I don't regret one bit of the college pain. It's worth it. If I had to get a loan I would have, but starting out 50K or so in debt is not worth it. I know a guy who's got a master's degree in biology, 60K in student loans, and he's a border patrol agent that can't afford ****all. It took my sister 9 years after she graduated with social science degrees to finally start working as a teacher. If you go to school, get a degree that teaches you a trade. Technical degrees are always good too. Otherwise, you're gonna be screwed.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So lets see if I get this right????You're quitting you're job interacting with the mentally hadicapped, so you can spend more time here????Six of one, half dozen of the other..:p: :wink1:

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

x2

My parents are paying for me, but Ive got some friends who are paying for it on there own, you can get student loans with no interest until you finish and then its real low like 3% or something close to that.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

After a year on the board she'll qualify for her PHD. :D

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

Hello - I'm Boggerless' wife and I've been doing the college thing, working, family and oh ya time for me.(?) It's very difficult. At the present I am working one day a week with Trader Publishing. I deliver Trading times and other magazines they put out on Fridays. Its a long day, not much fun, alot of work and uses up some gas, But.. I make around $120 for the day. This works out ok because if I were to work part time some where it would take me 3-4 part time days to make the same. And daycare is less for one day than 3-4.
    Also another possibility for you especially since you are in education at the present is offer day care out of your house. During the school year just offer before and after school care with home work help. Then you work your schedule for your classes around the before and after schedule for the kids you watch. You can charge around $85 -$95 per child. Most parents will jump on that with the home work help. Then during the summer you watch the kids full time while they are out of school but for the same price. You'll keep the same kids that way the parents are happy - you can earn money and still take classes yourself.
    Also, what is your Bachelors for? Baker college is a nation wide University that offers complete Bachelors degrees all on line (hyper classes - 6-7 weeks long each) Most Bachelors can be obtained within 19 months. Look around.
    as far as paying for classes - you got me there.
    Just some ideas - hope it helps.
    Mama D

12. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I work at a university. Start searching on the internet for grants and scholarships. (You don't have to pay grants and scholarships back, just loans) I think FastWeb.com might be a good starting place. There are so many out there. In fact huge amounts of money is never allocated each year as people don't apply for them. After you apply for 10 or 12 you will have written quite a few essays and will be able to start cut and pasting further essays together from the past ones. Don't get discouraged, just keep applying. Not all the scholarships or grants are grade based. You might be able to find some that you are egible for on past work experience for instance.
    Get your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in right away. You can always turn down the money once you get it and decide you don't need it. Perhaps you will qualify for the Stafford Grant, and not have to pay it back.
    Once you are in school, check out the Residence Life Office. Resident Advisors are usually given room and board for working. So, all you would have worry about is tuition and books. You would be in charge of a floor in the residence hall, making sure things are ok and rules are not being broke. Plus this looks pretty good on a resume. There is also usually a student employment office on campus that helps student's get jobs on campus, and those jobs usually work around your school schedule.

I know a guy who did all of this, got a huge amount of scholarships and grants, and just put the money away for a tight semester. Every semester he kept applying for new scholarships and loans and got some. After he graduated, he ended up having enough money saved up he bought himself a brand new Duramax for a graduation present, and paid cash for it. So, I know it can be done. Just takes some work and discipline. Good luck and don't loose hope.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My Daughter is a Barista. (sells Coffee in a coffee shop) She makes good money $15+per hr with flexable hours. It has been a great job for her while going to collage. She tried other jobs like banking, customer service, ect. But went back to selling 5.00 +tip cups of coffee. Cuz she makes way more money getting people wired.

Take odoa3's advise!

Definatly Look into FASFA/stafford grant If you are on your own and putting yourself thru school you may qualify for around 2K per semister Will prolly need your parents tax records tho.
    Spend some time in your schools financial aid office. They are there to help that is why they are there. There is a method to their madness. The more money they get for students the more money the school gets.
    Also thereare tons of scholorships out there. My youngest daughter has sub 3.0 GPA and has gotten 3 scholarships so far this year with more to come hopefully. Her first year of school is totally payed for with some left over for next year. All she did was apply and write essays.

The time to start is NOW!

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Again, the online community colleges aren't that bad of a deal. Jenn teaches for Rio Salado Community College and she has students all over the U.S.

15. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

So I applied at Subway yesterday. Went to hand my application back to one of the employees and the owner took it instead. He did a little interview with me and then said that his daughter (the manager) would be giving me a call to set up a real interview. Today she calls and I have an interview there on Tuesday. I don't really want to work fast food, but I figured that Subway would be better than working at McDonalds or somewhere else.
    This opportunity came at the right time. If I get the job I will be leaving my current one at the end of May. I can't stand having a boss that used to like the things I did turn on me because I am not returning next school year. I have decided to quit being nice to everyone else and do things for me.
    That is the update for today!

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fast food sucks, BTDT, but it pays the bills. I worked all kinds of jobs while I was in school. The video store was OK because you get to watch movies all night. The liquor store was just a bad idea, but I was geat at reinvesting my pay.....

Take oda3's advice and apply for all of the grant/scholarship money you can get. All they can do is say no and its free either way.

17. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Oh yea, I forgot. A friend of the family's oldest son applied for every, and I mean, EVERY scholarship that he could find. It didn't matter if it was for a specific type that they were looking for, that he wasn't or not. He ended up leaving college with a goodly sum of money in his pocket and a good job in the works.

If I'd thought of that when I was going into college I would have done the same thing.

As it is......

18. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I decided that maybe I should start printing off some of the requirements and questions for some of the essays I have avaliable to me through Fastweb. Plus I have nothing better to do tonight. Well I am playing Uno with the girl I'm watching tonight.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  19. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm still in school and working full time at a local furniture warehouse, plus raising my family (4 kids wife and a dog, and a Blazer) Pell grants have taken care of almost everything as far as school is concerned, plus a few small loans to keep the bills paid. Thank god I get my A&P license in Oct, I can't do this much longer my sanity is waning. And , just for the record I got a bunch of different scholorships just cause I took the time to apply, the other guys in my classes always wondered where I got all the cash, I just told them to get off the lazy butts and write an essay or three!

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  20. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

You are going to get back a few "Sorry" letters, but don't let that discourage you. Just keep plugging away. Devote an hour each day to searching out scholarships and grants. You might look at the ones aimed at your major. I am guessing from your username that you are female, and I know that there are scholarships granted just on gender. Sucks for the guys but hey, works for you! :D I have told lots of people about this, and the majority seem to slowly taper off and quit after getting turned down a few times. But, it is free money, just takes a little work.

Also, the easiest and quickest way to raise a GPA is to retake the classes you did not do so good in. The more credits you have the harder it is to change a average, so if you go back to the beginning and change a D to B, that will affect all the credits after it. Does that make sense?

Also, what is going to be your major? You might want to check out the employment that will be available after school. Right now health care is a major issue. Nursing is almost a promised job. But, don't get caught up in the future earning trap. If you know you really want to do something go for it. You will not continue to work in a job you hate for long, even if you are making a lot of money.

Don't worry about working fast food, not the most glorious job in the world, but hey, you have to do what you need to do to meet your goals. I commercial fished in Alaska during the summer to meet the college bills. Living on a boat for three months straight, always dirty, exhausted, and stuck with four other people in the cabin the size of a small bedroom- not glorious by any means. I was also an RA, and picked up small jobs with the college maint. Do what you have to do to make it.