Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In Need of Inspiration...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm in the middle of my rear axle swap at the moment and it's turning out to be a larger PITA than I ever imagined. I decided to do a 4" shackle flip and a 2" AAL at the same time to replace the 4" blocks and give me an extra 2" of lift. Long story short, the gas tank has rust holes in it and started leaking when I took it out to bolt in the shackle flip, all of the bushings and bolts were seized throughout the leaf springs, and I had to destroy the shackles themselves to get it all apart. So now I need a new tank, new bushings, new shackles, and my Oh Sh!t fund has been drained considerably. To make things even better, I was at work tonight when the mother of a former girlfriend came in and told me how nobody wanted their old truck that was for sale: '79 3/4 that ran like a Swiss watch. I pulled their cattle trailer for them a couple of times with it. I asked her how much they wanted for it and she said they started at $1k but were down to $400. I almost crapped a brick on the spot. I have no place to put it since I live in town and my parents would kill me since I would then have 3 vehicles until I parted it out, but I paid $1600 for my K5 and it doesn't run as well as this truck did.

This is getting to be a really long post but here's my point. I'm gonna stick with this because I know it'll be worth it in the end and my family doesn't think I can pull it off which makes me work even harder. What I'd like from you guys is your best story, best picture, best accomplishment that made you feel good about your truck to keep me at it. Like I said, I know it'll be worth it in the end but right now I'm having a hard time seeing it. Don't be afraid to tell me to shut up and get back to work too :grin: Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is kick 'em in the @ss.

Thanks guys, I know someone will come through.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like a trip too the salvage yard for those parts you need too replace. Talk to the Ex's mother about that other truck and see if they'd be willing too take payments. They hold truck till it's paid off. Just a couple of thoughts.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you get completely frustrated just walk away for a few days and get a fresh persepctive.

You asked for specific inspirational stories, I just post a few basic PITA's.

1. Driving down the highway in the middle of BFE when the driveshaft rips off the rearend and blows shrapnel up through the floor. Shaft blasts out from under the truck across the highway and almost nails a Saab, she hit the brakes just in time. Had to sit in BFE for 6 hours waiting for a tow, no water, no food, heat of the day. Fragged a brand new trans, destroyed shaft, and truck floor.

2. Install rebuilt trans only to find the rebuilder nicked the front pump seal. Have to pull it all apart and replace the seal myself. Back in only to realize flywheel is cracked, back out and redo again. Get it together, start it, and lower 4 core radiator hose blows off filling my garage with antifreeze. Yay.

And the list goes on and on. You are far from alone when it comes to little projects that become nightmares.

Get a rest and go after it again in the morning. :D

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I am proud of my divorced t-case and my brake lines that I bent and flared when I put the disc brakes on the 14 bolt. It took forever to get it running and now I'm tearing it apart again! Stick with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when it ran:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know if this will help ya or not, the blazer is a jealous beetch, if you put a new part on somewhere the other parts want to be changed too, last summer i put new hoses and belts on, then the water pump wanted to be changed, put a new water pump on and the radiator wanted to be changed, then the carb, then the power steering pump, now the clutch fan, this has been going on for almost a year now, she be jealous and remember murphys law of blazers, for every modification there has to be another modification, in the end i reall do like driving my blazer:D

7. tyco91burban

tyco91burban Registered Member

You can allways look at it the way I do. If it broke now its one less thing to wrong later AKA out in BFE. This is my motto I replace everything with bigger and better(when funds allow it).

Here is my story.

1991 GMC suburban the suspension was crap so i put a lift completely rebuilt the front end new wheels and tires. I was lovin life. Went to MS for school and tranny blewout. Now I am tearing the entire front end out and making it 4wd. I geuss in short we all have had the mod monster get out of control on us but its part of the fun.

Also as far as people not thinking you can complete your current task when you finish you will have proved them all wrong and the sweet taste of vistory will be even that much greater.