Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In praise of Walls workwear

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Feb 26, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

In December I posted a thread about Walls workwear. I wanted a pair of bib coveralls to go with my CK5 Carhartt jacket and wasn't sure if I should get the Walls brand pair ($49 at wallyworld) or the almost-$100 Carhartt ones. Well, I got a wallyworld gift card for Christmas, so Walls it was. Having worn/abused them for a couple of months I must say that I am very impressed.

[​IMG]

I got the "Zero Zone" insulated model. I made sure to get them slightly oversized. This not only ensures that they will fit even if I get fat, but in extreme cold weather I have room to wear stuff underneath them. This works out really well. If the weather is mild, I just wear the coveralls for pants... if its colder... I can wear longjohns underneath. If its arctic I can wear longjohns and sweats too. That combo is prolly good down to -20 if I have my insulated Danners on too, and since it never gets that cold here in Vancouver, I guess I'm set. :thumb:

The duck material they are made from seems every bit as tough as the stuff my Carhartt jacket is made out of too. The buttons on the leg bottoms are handy and allow you to adjust how big the cuff is. Usually I keep them buttoned as big as they can get, because its most cozy... but if I'm chainsawing wood or weedeating or doing some other task where splinters/grass tend to get EVERYWHERE, I can adjust the cuffs to a smaller size to keep crap out of my boots and my feet happy. Most of the zippers have buttons at each end, which lowers the chances of screwing up a zipper if part of the material gets caught on something.

I wear my Carhartt/Walls outfit almost every day to work in either the yard or garage and neither piece of gear has let me down. Anyway, just thought I'd post my experience with the Walls gear. I don't feel like I wasted my $ buying a Carhartt jacket, but Walls seems to be a better overall value. Now all I need to do is get my mom to make a CK5 patch for my coveralls so it will match the jacket... :thumb:

j

2. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

good stuff, i like my Walls full suit better than my carhartt overalls.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Wish my uniforms were that cheap. I pay about $60 for a pair of pants $40 for a uniform shirt, $10 per work shirt, $280 for boots. I spend about 1200 a year on uniforms.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I am a true beliver in Artic Carhartt's, don't care how much they cost, nothing better in my opinion. Real life tested in nothern Minnesota!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

arctic carhartts are good gear, but where I live I have super-mild weather... and sometimes in the summer when I work on my rig it might be 90 degrees. Arctic rated gear is gonna be sweat-soaked in not time. :thumb:

j