Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In reference to "Neighbors Suck," Bubba Ray needs you as the jury

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

In reference to \"Neighbors Suck,\" Bubba Ray needs you as the jury

I want to see what a cross section of America has to say about this case.....

Okay, I am the defense attorney and investigator and owner of the suspect, so yes, there's a conflict of interest, but I can be impartial.

The suspect is in question. I have two dawgs in the backyard. One does have a history though. He has killed more than his far share of cats, with one case breaking through a wood fence to commit the heinous act. His life was spared though.

Now let's get onto the facts of the case. At approximately 3:00 PM this afternoon, I was in my driveway enjoying the sounds of cutting bolts on the rear bumper of the K5. The neighbor walked over. This was strange. I don't talk to the neighbor. I wave at him everyso oftern, but have never talked to me.

He walked up and I turned off the angle grinder. He states that sometime this morning, his 3 year old German Shepard was found in the back yard, I can't remember if he said if the dawg was still hung up in the fence or not. He said that he had to put the dawg down due to the extent of the injury to the dawg's leg.

The neighbor continued telling me that the dawg had got his leg caught up in the fence between our yards. He said that the dawg's leg had been severely chewed on to the point that the vet told him that it would be likely amputated at a cost of $1400 or the dawg could be put down for $160.

Now this is where it starts getting good. He accused my dawg of chewing his dawg's leg and that my dawg has a "history". Okay, at first I was remorseful, and I still am. I am a dawg person and that's a bad deal when an owner has to put one down. But when he accused my dawg of the act, I wasn't surprised, but before I put a dawg down, I have to have a boatload and a half of reasons before I do it.

So I told him that I wanted to go look at the fence. He said no. Okay, he seemed distraught over the whole episode, understandable; but I wanted to look at the fence and he said no again so the flag starts going up. He rambles on some more about wanting me to pay the $160 and that the fence is in disrepair. So I tell him I'm going to look at the fence, he says no again but I turn around and walk in the house. Yes, I was getting /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif over his refusal of me wanting to look at the fence. I go out to the fence where this incident happened. I looked and looked, there is no blood visible at this point. I looked over the scene for a good 5 minutes, no blood.

So I go back outside and tell him I want to look at his side of the fence. He takes me over and I start looking at the fence, looking for blood.

Now I don't know about y'all, but I've never known an animal to commit a heinous act, especially one so vicious and there is no blood.

We go back to the fence and the fence is painted red. This sucks. So I study the ground for a few minutes, there is no visible blood anywhere.

Let me describe the areas that I'm looking at. We have the lumber, most of which is brown, so blood should show up clearly on the parts that are not painted. The ground surrounding the fence has little vegetation around it, but there are some leaves and such, so blood should show up somewhere.

So I get done looking and tell him I want to know where the dawg was taken. He doesn't know! He goes inside and grabs some woman who comes out and tells me where she took the dawg. She also stated that the vet told her that he could not tell her what exactly happened to the leg. The dawg could of chewed it, my dawg could of chewed, but he could not say.

I come back to the house and call the vet office and talk to a nurse. She gives me the specifics of the dawg's medical condition and what had happened. I asked her if the dawg was still there, but only the owner could authorize me to look at it. I tell her I need to talk to the vet and for him to call me back. I haven't heard from him since.

I go back to the scene on my side of the fence with a camera and start taking pictures. It's at this time I see two tuffs of dawg hair on the fence post. One tuff of hair looks like there is a small spot of blood holding it together; but that is all I can find in the way of blood. I look my dawg over for signs of blood. He is a very light brown color so spotting blood on him should be easy. There is none.

My sister-in-law comes over and takes a look and she calls BS on the whole thing. She has a lot of experience with dawgs.

So here is where I stand......I need hard evidence before I make a move. If I don't have it, the neighbor can take me to court. I ain't gonna get shafted.

So here's a recap of the facts........

His deceased dawg and my dawgs were always having their wars bouncing off the fence barking at each other.

His dawg got it's leg caught up in the fence.

The dawg's leg appeared to be chewed up.

When an animal is trapped, they have been know to chew their own legs off to escape.

My dawg has a history; but has never attacked nor shown any aggression towards another person or dawg, just cats.

There is no blood anywhere to be seen, except possibly on the one tuff of hair.

And if there is a case, doesn't the fact of an invasion of another dawg's territory stipulate that the home dawg has attack rights?

So..........................you the impartial ones of the world, what's your opinions on this case?

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

Re: In reference to \"Neighbors Suck,\" Bubba Ray needs you as the jury

there's no proff it was your dawg.the dawg is innocent until proven guilty.i am a dawg owner also so ifeel his pain.but unless he can prove it then it was not your dog.he did not see it so no one nows what happened.if it was your dawg.then tell him your sorry and pay.like you said the dawg could of been trying to free himself you.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Ok Bubba
    Here's my .02 get a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and spray the area where the dog was. As you know the Hydrogen Peroxide will bubble and foam up when there is Blood. Now I don't think a domesticated dog would Chew on his leg now a wild animal mite and has. I could see his dog trying very hard to get his leg out of the fence and in doing so he could of hurt his own self.
    I don't know what to say about the owner of the dog and if you should pay him, without proof I don't think I would, maybe half but that's it. It was his dog on your side of the fence.
    But as I say that you should see really bad law suites that were posted this week sometime.
    The one about the guy shooting his Neighbors dog after the dog bit him while he was tied up in his yard. ( It was something like that )

Eric

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Here's my .02 get a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and spray the area where the dog was. As you know the Hydrogen Peroxide will bubble and foam up when there is Blood.

[/ QUOTE ]
    How long will this be effective? It's dark now, and it's gonna be damp in the morning, will that affect anything?

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I wish I could be sure about waitting to morning But if you have a MAG lite or something like that I would do it now. Just to be safe, But wife and I taked about it and we Think that you could wait till then.

Eric

6. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifdude i think the guy next door is full of crap if the dog was hurt that bad dont you think some one would have heard it yelping where was the owner in all this i all ways go out with my dogs when i let them out i dont think you should pay a dime it is sad to see an animal be put down becuse the owner is incompetent sorry to hear of this whole situation the reason i go out with my dogs is becuse one of mine has a history too my neibors brother came walking across my back yard to talk to me in my garage and my dog on a leash i might add bit him hard and broke the skin bad i thout he was going to sue but he was cool about it i felt bad but i was thinking you dumb a$$ walking thru the dogs area when you dont even know him at all but i think you are not guilty just my oppinion on the situation /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, I've give it a look see in the morning. It just seems like if the dawg was in that bad of a way, there would be some visible blood somewhere, but there wasn't.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

*Sniff Sniff*
    Smells like BS to me.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Who owns the fence in question?

Was the fence in disrepair?

I must be missing something here, you said it was made out of "lumber"...so I'm guessing with opposing dogs, you would have a stockade fence, not a picket fence....maybe not though...if it was a stockade fence, how did the dogs leg get caught in it to begin with?

When you speak to the vet- find out if there was signs of the "wooden fence"..splinters etc...I'd think a dog would have to pull pretty damn hard and thrash around prior to chewing his own foot off...I've also never heard of a domestic animal doing this, only wild ones..

I'm still lost about the fence in question...if it was your fence, and it was in disrepair, allowing an animal to get caught in it....or if it was his fence, in disprepair....or it was a picket fence....but a picket fence with a dog that eats cats doesn't seem right either....I'm holding a "deadlock" on this one

Brandy

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

What's a stockade fence? It's not a picket fence. The fence boards are up against each other, so you can't see through. The area where the dog got hung up is an intersection where one section terminates into a perpendicular section. I'll have to wait to get the film back to post pics.

The fence itself just one fence between the yards. There is no two separate fences. The wood itself, it's old and in some places the wood is rotten, but in the area in question. There was apparently one board on his side that came unattached.

As I said before, the only signs of anything happening is the hair on the fence post corner, which is on our side, but I can't say who the hair belongs to. It could belong to my dog for all I know, though I don't believe it and I never saw the neighbor's dog.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

that's a stockade fence.....I was just trying to figure out why the dogs would be able to "see" eachother....I guess to play devils advocate...whose responsibility is it to maintain the fence in question..regardless of if your dog did anything or his dog was the instigater.....I'm not saying your dog/fence/etc. was wrong or his was right etc...

I know here, if it's your fence, and you don't maintain it, your sh*t outta luck...same as your walkway, driveway etc.. even if someone wasn't "invited" to your walkway in the winter- if they slip on ice, well your screwed. Someone at some point had to get a permit I would think to put that fence up, either you him or some previous owner, the city hall should have record of it....if he says anything else to you regarding the dog, which you never know, he may not...but if he does, find out who owns the fence FIRST so you have that info. If it's you, well keep that info to yourself, but if it's him...well you know the rest.

good luck
    Brandy

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'm curious on the fence issue. It's only one fence, maybe a co-responsibility for fence maintenance? The framework is on our side, but if a board needs to be replaced, it must be done on his side. Does that make any difference in ownership?

I need to move out to the sticks so I won't have to worry 'bout other dogs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, here if you put up a fence, you have to get a permit...AND the finished side of the fenc has to be facing AWAY from your property.

for instance, if you were my neighbor- the fence would be YOURS because the "good side" is out towards me...does that make sense....but of course your people out there in Cali do things backwards a lot, so could be different.

If your neighbor wasn't smart enough to know what vet his own dog went to, I'd bet he isn't smart enough to press any sort of "charges" or do anything other than maybe what he has already done, just come over and tell you your dog did it..of course, without a burden of proof- well he's SOL!

Brandy

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd bet he isn't smart enough to press any sort of "charges" or do anything other than maybe what he has already done,

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's totally a civil matter so he would have to take me to small claims if he wanted anything out of me.

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Tell him "Sorry to hear about your dog" and leave it at that.

If he keeps hounding you, tell him to go lay down by his dish and be quiet.

If he is so irresponsible that he cannot take the time to insure a safe environment for his dog, then he is the one to blame if something happens.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Fences in most of CA are different, at least in urban areas and the Suburbs. Permits aren't needed unless it's near the property line at the front of the house, and generally the upkeep is a responsibility of neighbors on either side of the fence. </font color>

17. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

One more question Bubba.....do you own or rent???

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Um...I'm not going to give an opinion until you can get pics up. Do you know where your property lines are?

I believe that you are required to maintain your own fences, but dog owners are also required to keep their dogs out of other people's property.
    I'd want to see pics before I say anything else.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If your dog got into a big enough fight as that, don't you think you would have heard somethinng ??? I'm asuming this was suposta happened at night.

20. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

What I dont understand is that if the dogs injuries were severe enough to warrant putting it to sleep, there should have been blood on at least 1 side of the fence. If you found nothing, thats pretty suspicious.

Could it be a case of his dog getting in a fight somewhere else and trying to blame your dog because of its "history"?

I wouldnt make any judgements untill you talk to the vet. He should be able to give you some good insight into what happened.