Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In tank fuel pump problems/ External replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RedBrute, May 7, 2005.

1. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I replaced my in tank fuel pump on my '87 this week. Old one kept quitting on the way home. Got it going by running a jumper to the pump lead (tan) and pounding on the tank till the shock got the pump to run. The new replacement pump from NAPA lasted about 20 minutes :mad: I'm so disgusted right now I'd like to leave that POS in there and splice in an in line pump in the fuel line just before the filter. I thought I read a post here a while back about a factory inline pump that would work but I can't find it in SEARCH. I have the August '04 issue of 4wheel & off road here in front of me and in the EFI engine swaps section It calls for Autozone E2000 for an inline pump. Does anybody know for sure if this pump will supply the 14 or so PSI that TBI needs? This is the third in tank pump I've replaced in 6 years and after all the work on this cleaning and painting and replacing fuel lines etc. I'll be dipped in dawg$h!t before I drop the tank again. Of course the current fuel pump quit after the test drive, I FILLED THE TANK :mad: typical! OK I feel better now. :grin:

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am doing a efi swap on a different make of vehicle, the system on it requires about 40psi, so this may not apply.

everything i have read says a inline hi-press pump is not very good at drawing the fuel from a tank whos outlet is at the top. in other words an inline pump needs to be supplied from a sump in the fuel tank.

to do an external pump system properly, u need to run an electric low pressure pump to draw the fuel out then boost the press w/ an inline pump.

the real question is what is considered hi & lo press for a fuel system. i would guess low press is under 10psi & hi is anything above, other than that i dunno?

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

The E2000 will give you more than enough pressure, it supplies 60-70 PSI, which is no problem, the pressure regulator will bring it down to the right pressure. I am putting an E2000 on right now with my TBI swap.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only suggestion is checking on a Delco pupm. Stock lasts over 100K usually, your case is atypical.

5. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sounds like you need to verify your power source and grounds before you do anything else.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree,,,check everything first!

I dont have a clue as to what external pump would work,I'll leave any suggestions there to others with more experince with EFI and in tank pumps--I only have had carbed trucks so far....

But I agree with Unclematty when he said to re-check all the power and ground wires--its not very often a new electric fuel pump is junk only 20 minites out of the box--it happens,but its rare...I'd suspect a corroded or pinched wire or a fuel pump relay crapping out after it gets hot from running the pump awhile--,or bad grounds and poor connections..

Its probably not a short curcuit,or you'd be blowing fuses--but a corroded wire(s)or a bad relay will restrict the amount of voltage and amps getting to the pump,hence the need to whack it to get it started--the old pump might have still worked--did you try running it off a battery after you pulled it out of the tank?(dont run one for long dry,it will burn up!).....I'd check everything twice before buying another pump or dropping that tank again--I know how much of a pain it is to pull one,especially when its full!...

8. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

power is good right to the connector at top of pump, ground is new and also supplies fuel gauge which works fine also. Ohm meter reading into pump motor thru the wiring shows 1.5K ohms jumping to 3K plus when I bang on the tank. Old pump (still runs occasionally) reads 4 ohms. Wiring is fine, pump is junk. I think i'll put the ES2000 pump on for now, run the tank down to a managable level and swap a Delco pump in. I did notice during search that a lot of folks recommend the Delco pump. Thanks for the input.