Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In the begining...mod ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77GMC, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 77GMC

77GMC Newbie

Sorry for the amount of questions in here, but here it goes: I've been looking around at trucks on the net trying to find a nice looking "stance" for the truck...nothing too extreme. I am wondering what the maximum size tires you can fit under a stock 77 without rubbing/scraping? Also, for a mild lift is it okay to just use add-a-leaves with the old springs, or is it best to replace the 25 year old suspension with new stuff. Also, where do you guys and gals find the best replacement panels (spec. rear quarters). Is it at all possible to enlarge the original steel wheels to fit say 31"s or 32"s BFG All Terrains. Will more clear coat on a paint job protect the paint from mud/tree scratches (what will help protect?). What junkyard seats are better replacements for the stock ones with little modification. Is part-time conversion really worth it? One last thing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif what sized exhaust and with muffler/exhaust system would go best with a relatively stock engine. Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks a bunch!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is it at all possible to enlarge the original steel wheels to fit say 31"s or 32"s BFG All Terrains.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You don't need to enlarge the wheels to fit another size tire, just need to make sure the rim widths coorelate with each other.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

&gt;&gt;I am wondering what the maximum size tires you can fit under a stock 77 without rubbing/scraping?

Generally accepted answer is 31-32". I run 31x10.50x15's on bone stock trucks -- including my fat-butt Chalet -- with no problem.

&gt;Is it at all possible to enlarge the original steel wheels to fit say 31"s or 32"s BFG All Terrains.

My stock 15x8" ralleys fit the aforementioned 31x10.50x15's no problem. If you have 7" rims that might be a little short. Look on BFG's website or ask your tire dealer for rim width recommends for your specific tires.

If you went to a 12" tire you might want a wider rim (as above) but at a 12" wide tire I suspect you'd be rubbing anyway.

&gt; What junkyard seats are better replacements for the stock ones with little modification.

Depends on what's wrong with the stock ones. I like em, myself. The driver's side low-backs almost always break the weld by the seatbelt, but it's easily fixed.

&gt;Is part-time conversion really worth it?

Donno. Both of mine have it, but I don't see any greater mileage with it. Maybe less wear-n-tear on the drivetrain. Maybe.

(Your other questions I know nothing about.)

-- A

4. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

As far as tires go i ran 33x12.50's on stock alloys on a stock height 86 and it only rubbed when i turned the wheel ALL the way. As far as seats go i have read on here that aerostar or astro minivan seats bolt right in, i just dont remember which, maybe someone else will recall. I found a place for body parts called browns of two rivers that had real good prices. Just search the web for blazer body parts.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess you really need to decide what your end usage will be. People doing the high speed desart thing build thier trucks differently the people into rock crawling. Now a muddin truck is built differently the those two styles also. I personally think it's worth saving up for suspension lift. Replace those old worn out leaf springs !!!!! After you decide what your end usage is, I'm sure lots of people would be happy to recomend mods.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I don't know myself but if I was to guess which one, it would be the Astro not the Aerostar, since The Astro is chevy, and the Aerostar is FORD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif