Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

In the market for a tow rig

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by cybrfire, May 22, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm starting to watch for something. Not real serious yet. I definitely don't have the coin to go out and buy something new or even slightly used. Most likely I would have to build or restore something over the next couple years. Eric M. has a very nice looking tow rig. I was wondering if 6.2 deisel that was found in these rigs can be made tow worthy. I've heard they are kind of gutless. Is there a deisel that can be swapped in with better performance from a newer rig? I guess I'm looking to build a decent tow rig just don't know what a good motor would be for it or what my options are.

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

From what I have read, I think you would probably be better off swaping in a Cummins. There are things that can be done to 6.2's and 6.5's to make them better, but I don't think they will get up to the CTD level. I am just starting to research smokers. Bad thing about Grinnell is there is only 1 place to get fuel.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Here

The 6.2 will tow just fine, especially with a turbo on it. ~ 190 hp and 400 ft-lbs, will move a load just fine. Its still no cummins or powerstroke, but for its day it was a healthy motor.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What do you plan to haul? If its just going to be a K5 on a trailer a 6.2-6.5 with a banks sidewinder turbo would be a good rig and still be affordable. A cummins swap would also be possible and give you a better motor, but cost is WAY more than the 6.2 or 6.5. Just a used motor will cost $2000 or more for a cummins /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Before I broke down and accepted payments on a 2500HD (stupid good deal) I was looking for a V30 (87-91 SRW SFA) Crew Cab but had not found one I really liked. These are in the 5-6k range for most, but with gas prices like they are... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6.2 would do the job, like others have said, a turbo would help a lot. 6.5TD had some issues, but worked ok. Even if they won't keep up with a Cummins, PS or DMax, both get exceptional mileage, often in the 20s. But there are some "issues" to be aware of on the 6.5TDs. Check out DieselPlace.com and TheDieselPage.com for more research and beter advice...

6. carcblackblazer

carcblackblazer Registered Member

Welcome to the family /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I own a '04 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with a duramax. Don't know what engine you ended up getting, but I can tell you from my experience so far... it'll pull pretty much anything. I had an "issue" with a dead to the world HMMWV at work, and I ended up pulling it straight sideways to be able to pull it from the front to the motor pool. You shouldn't have any issues. I also recently towed my 18' flatbed from georgia to alaska with 9000 lbs on it and had a blast.. Nothing like being able to outrun cars...while towing.

7. BadDog

It's a 4x4 CC DMax/Alli and chipped to boot. I frequently pass cars going up grades while towing at 15k GV in OD. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Bought this thing new late Summer of '02 and never regretted it once...

8. carcblackblazer

What chip? I run a Banks 6 Gun without the speed loader. I have the speed loader but haven't had the time to get the EGR sensor installed, so I am not going to run it yet. Be careful, the ally tranny can only take so much. the Edge hot juice w/ attitude will fry your tranny quick if you don't get the suncoast rebuild done to it.

9. BadDog

We should probably not take this any further off-topic. But to answer your question...

Edge/Juice, soon to be "Hot" after an ATS full boat upgrade to the Alli. Right now I have standard Juice (turned down to level 4 till the Alli upgrade) with Attitude monitor and a UNI air filter. TTS 4" exhaust is likely also in my future to keep EGT down towing. An identical 7500 lb truck with identical mods dyno’d something like 475 rwhp and over 800 tq (memory is failing, posted exact numbers on here a while back) and ran a 14.6 quarter in standard street trim... All it took was a chip, air filter, and muffler. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Of course the tranny to handle that sort of thing will run me a *tiny* bit more /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. carcblackblazer

I wonder if I could outright buy a duramax and put it in a K5.. LOL

Varoom...

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder if I could outright buy a duramax and put it in a K5.. LOL

Varoom...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can but can you afford it?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. carcblackblazer

I can afford anything given the capability of success and time to properly resource. Everyone can... just takes patience /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I appreciate all you guys input. I guess with my fundage the way it is I will be looking for some kind of crew cab with the 6.2 and then try to juice it up from there. Been watching trucks lately and they put propane injection and all that on them deisels. Does the propane get injected steadily all the time or is it more like nitrous? Kinda strange if the Propane can be added all the time you would think there would just be a different kind of deisel to run. I'm not very knowledgable on deisels. Never owned one. Guess I'll be spending some time at one of the above mentioned websites.

14. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I appreciate all you guys input. I guess with my fundage the way it is I will be looking for some kind of crew cab with the 6.2 and then try to juice it up from there. Been watching trucks lately and they put propane injection and all that on them deisels. Does the propane get injected steadily all the time or is it more like nitrous? Kinda strange if the Propane can be added all the time you would think there would just be a different kind of deisel to run. I'm not very knowledgable on deisels. Never owned one. Guess I'll be spending some time at one of the above mentioned websites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Propane injection is not a constant thing, it kicks in at WOT (Wide Open Throtle), it is activated by a switch on the gas pedal like the kick down for a th400 and releases propane into and only into a Turbo charged diesel's air cleaner or intake tube.
    It will not work on N/A diesel.
    It is used to give tha extra kick to pull on steep grades when you already have your foot to the floor.
    I have a setup ready to go , just need to get it on the truck along with all the other stuff I have ready for it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif